Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRB Stompy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Kamperfoelie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, stop building decks.
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gravelord is comin out for colossal might, need that trample in there somewhere.

Sucks when you have those cards and nothing but ziggurats.
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here is you are trying to build a deck by copying a list from another format with whatever cards that have similar functions in standard. Building decks this way will generally lead to fail. You have to build decks to correspond to the current metagame and utilize the strongest cards available in standard.
cardplayer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: not as bad as everyone says Reply with quote

i play tested this deck with just a little more lands and a few card changes and it works very well.. it makes turbo fog cry.. i am faster then boros buschwacker... my only regret is that i dont have time to build it before states
warp_gaming

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kaamos
Oh and skathe, before you open your mouth, Stompy has been known to run as low as 9 lands. This is a 3 color deck, thank Wotc for Ancient Ziggurat <3

yeah, but that was "miracle grow" stompy that had ways to draw ridiculous amounts of gas for free (a la gush, etc) and actually used the drawback of bouncing lands to create more mana.

you're playing ancient ziggurat with 10 non-creature spells, and 4 comes into play tapped lands that only produce 1 color. fail. not to mention 3 of your 19 lands are fetches which means 2 things. a) they don't produce mana (so ur down to 16 sources) and b) every time you use one you reduce your chance of drawing into any MORE mana.

I'm starting to suspect that "kaamos" is one of the following:

1. 12 year old kid who has never actually played at any level of competitive magic, other than possibly friday night magic, where he occassionally gets his nuts draw against a completely mana screwed opponent, the game is still tight, but he accidently rips 4 running lightning bolts to win.

2. normal member of the m-l community who has decided to create an account purely to troll.

as posted above, stop making decks until you learn the math/metagame/how to not play bad cards

Quote:
jonproject:
I hope Skathe comments on how bad this deck is

your wish is my command.
TaKK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kamperfoelie and skathe have summed this up pretty well.
/close
kumagmd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the entire point of threads are to get advice, dudes. Don't diss someone because he/she has bad deck ideas. Or bad card choices. Or both.

Anyways, whoever you are, you can't make a deck based solely on a dream (drawing the PERFECT hand every time). Magic is a game with a lot of random factors.

As I said before, you can't make a three-colour stompy with today's standard. It'll be very easy to disrupt, and would be too random. Fine, you might win some, but not consistently.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice to you is to put minimum 24 lands into all your decks. Start to think that you should have the _maximum_ amount of lands possible in your deck rather than the minimum. The latter is actually a misunderstanding.

And......wait for it.............................

here's my deckbuilding guide AGAIN (third or fourth time I decided to repost it) (Disclaimer: not meant to be a comprehensive and definite guide):

here are some general tips for deckbuilding beginners: 

1. Read the Wotc articles on deckbuilding (building on a budget etc). There are other deckbuilding sites as well. 

2. Look at the "pro" decks. They are normally quite optimal. Figure out why the cards they use are the best cards. 

3. Play a lot of magic. Figure out why you lose and why you win. Make changes to your deck accordingly. 

Deckbuilding guide: 

1. Create a game plan. This game plan needs to include one or more of the following scenarios: A) You are the attacking player, B) You are the defending player, C) You attack and defend at the same time, D) Your combo goes off and you win. (increasing difficulty) 

2. Build a deck using only the best cards available, aiming at following the game plan(s) chosen in 1. as consistently as possible. The logic behind this is that if you succeed in doing what the deck is supposed to do, you win the game - so the less variation the better. 

3. Normally, A) has lots of cheap spells and cost-efficient creatures that aims to deal as much damage as possible in as few turns as possible. B) normally has a lot of creature removal, card drawing and disruption in the form of counterspells, which allows the deck to stay alive long enough to play powerful win conditions. C) tries to combine the two, having cost-efficient creatures and spells as well as creature removal, card drawing and disruption - this allows these decks to cancel out the weaknesses of the other types. D) aims to set up a combination of two or more cards that either deals lethal damage in the span of one turn, or locks the opponent down for the rest of the game. 

4. Make sure that a majority of the spells in your deck has a casting cost of 3 or less, regardless of game plan. Very few decks could run 21 or less lands in Standard. Run at least 22, and at least 24 for B) decks. Use 4 copies of key cards, 3 copies of important cards, 2 copies of useful cards and 1 copy of cards that could come in handy in certain circumstances. Avoid multiple colours in early-game spells, if possible. 

5. The sideboard should improve bad matchups, but if you need to sideboard more than 4-5 cards against certain decks, your maindeck is wrong. Take out the non-key cards for the sideboard cards you need. 

6. Good luck. 

7. And no, nobody cares whether you got the cards you need or not. And nobody cares how you get the money to buy them. Magic is an expensive hobby and you'd better get used to it sooner than later.
Insom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skathe wrote:

not to mention 3 of your 19 lands are fetches which means 2 things. a) they don't produce mana (so ur down to 16 sources) and b) every time you use one you reduce your chance of drawing into any MORE mana.

Double counting ftw.
16 land > 16 land + 3 fetches? Smile
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ved's advice is sound, in fact im going to copy the whole chunk and save it somewhere on word. As its something that is probably going to need saying again and again.

One thing to add when people give you advice you need to listen to it. Sure not all advice is good, so disagree with it and explain your logic if you think its bad but you have made no attempt to address the fact you have 4 ways of playing goblin guide and alot of other 2 drop red spells turn 1. This is pretty obviously a good point.

Also general piece of advice the majorty is generally right, certainly for the level you are at now when it comes to deck building, when multiple people are telling you the same thing there right about it.
kaamos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take your advice humbly if you tell me what you think about how long an individual could go playing mtg without knowing these general rules- and how much tournament experience they could have.

I ask this as one who infact had played awhile, but had limited tournament experience. I figure this Forum isnt the place to post -my- ideas.
kaamos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I would like to point out I posted the first spread em tech deck on this form 3 months ago, which people ignored..)

Not trying to be an ****, but sometimes you hit paydirt. I infact havent played any of these decks in FNM and with your comments ive shelved all of them, which is good, I am not wasting my time and money buying and playing the decks.
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats fine, are you atleast testing them in mws, cause just posting untested decks on these forums you are going to get flamed. I am seasoned deck builder and even with out testing I still miss alot of problems with my deck that you can not really see until you test for a decnt amount of time, this deck is full of those sort of problems.

Also recognising a card as good is entirely different to building a deck. You could have brillaiant card evaluation skills and the deck building capabilities of a dog, card evaluation is a tiny part of deck building. Note no one has really been critcisng your card choices its the coherancy and consistancy of the deck that are the problem.

And an infinite amount of time would be my answer and upto PTQ level.
kaamos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Answer Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2