Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zendikar Sealed Pool, soliciting opinions on build

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
SJM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Zendikar Sealed Pool, soliciting opinions on build Reply with quote

Artifact
//////////
Expedition map
Explorer's Scope
Khalini Gem
Stonework Puma

Land
///////
Kazandu Refuge
turntimber grove
sejiri refuge
piranaha marsh
teetering peaks
2 oran-rief, the vastwood

Black
/////////
Hagra Diabolist
Mire Blight
Feast of Blood
Hagra Crocodile
Hideous End
Marsh Casualties
4 Heartstabber Mosquito
Grim Discovery
Vampire Nighthawk
Nimana Sell-Sword
Guul Draz Specter
Soul Stair Expedition
Guul Draz Vampire

Blue
/////////
2 cancel
paralyzing grasp
spell pierce
archmage ascension
Kraken hatchling
shoal serpent
trapmaker's snare
merfolk wayfinder
trapfinder's trick
spreading seas
3 umara raptor
reckless scholar
living tsunami
sphinx of lost truths
sky ruin drake

Green
///////////
Savage Silhouette
Khalni heart expeditio
joraga bard
frontier guide
beastmaster ascension
2 turntimber basilisk
2 vines of vastwood
2 zendikar farguid

red
////////
2 tuktuk grunts
hellfire mongrel
runeflare trap
demolish
bladetusk boar
2 plated geopede
2 ruinous minotaur
zektar shrine expedition
highland berserker
magma rift
punishing fire
electropotence

white
//////////
kor outfitter
kor hookmaster
vliff threader
brave the elements
nimbus wings
noble vestige
pillarfield ox
bold defense
windborn charge
sunspring expedition
steppe lynx
shieldmates's blessing
makindi shieldmate

I went blue/black like so:

stonework puma
2 heartstabber mosquito
grim discovery
hagra diabolist
nimana sell-sword
guul draz specter
vampire nigthhawk
marsh casualties
guul draz vampire
hideous end
paralyzing grasp
reckless scholar
living tsunami
sphinx of lost truths
sky ruin drake
2 cancel
3 umara raptor
kraken hatchling
10 swamp
8 island

I thought the deck might be too slow with no 2 drops and 2 1 drops but that wasn't really the issue.

If I could go back and build it again I'd make these changes:

-1 swamp
+1 island (the idea with 10 swamps was to be sure I could cast nighthawk, marsh casualties, and hideous end early but I think 9 would be fine, especially with the addition of the expedition map)
-hagra diabolist (too slow, deck's slow already)
+1 more mosquito (these were amazing)
-1 cancel
+1 expedition map (deck doesn't want to miss land drops)

The idea there is that the deck is slow enough without hagra diabolist, and already has 5 other allies that stand on their own just fine. The deck really doesn't want to miss land drops, so that's the idea with the map.

I think there are a lot of cards that could be added, though.
Notable cards not included in either of my builds:
soul stair expedition (I think I undervalue this card)
1 extra heartstabber mosquito (amazing)
explorer's scope (deck is too slow for it really)
spreading seas (meh, cantrip)
shoal serpent (slow fatty)

Thoughts?

I think I probably screwed up the playing more than the building. This is probably the best Zendikar sealed pool I'll ever get.

Last edited by SJM on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
CHRONICBL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have played the red with the black. plated geopede is so good and you had 2 of them
coolcreep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same thing at first, but blue has 3 umara raptors, which is just nutty. When you add in that black + puma gives you 6 allies, that is a lot of big creatures in the air. Between that and his black removal, plus bombs like sphinx, its clearly a solid deck. Then again, this pool is fucking ridiculous, and I think the deck would have been nutty in any 2 colour combination of R, U, and B.
SJM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I thought long and hard about red while building.

I really wanted to see how electropotence would play out with 2 ruinous minotaur and a zektar shrine expedition.

I even wrote down a boarding plan to swap into black/red but I never did it as the blue/black carried me to a 5-0 start and most people I talked to said they would never board out my blue for my red.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think electropotence is very easy to overrate. It looks great at first - "hey, all my creatures give me burn spells now! awesome!" but the problem is that either you play it early, and then cant afford the costs while you play your creatures, or you play it late, and all your creatures have already been played. The only thing I like it with at all is zektar shrine, but with only one of them its certainly not worth doing. if i see it in a draft, I may be more open to taking shrines if I see them, and try to make a deck centered around electropotence. If only they had suspend in zendikar...that would be fun.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 kraken hatchling
1 soul stair expedition
1 grim discovery
1 marsh casulties
3 umara raptor
1 stonework puma
1 reckless scholar
1 paralyzing grasp
1 hideous end
1 vampire nighthawk
4 heart stabber mosquito
1 nimana sellsowrd
1 gruul draz spectre
1 living tsunami
1 sphinx of the lost truths
1 hagra diabolist
10 swamp
9 island

This is a 19 land deck you get too 7 mana you win that simple, a land is better than expedition map in a 2 colour deck. Also you def want to be playing soul stair, look at the creature you can recur allies yes please, mosquito, sphinx, hawk yes please. This deck actually makes tsunmai look bad as you really want the mana but i could not bring myself to cut it.
SJM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I sort of agree but I'd rather play expedition map over the 19th land. I just can't justify 19 land but the expedition map is essentially a 19th land and I could justify that.

You're right about living tsunami, there were many games where I waited until turn 5 to play him so I could also cast the sky ruin drake or sphinx in my hand.

Often I was happy to see him paralyzing grasped or trade him for another tsunami/fatty so I could get closer to kicked mosquitos/sphinx.

Seems like everyone really likes spreading seas in the deck. Yea, I definitely considered it.

Trotsky1 wrote:
1 kraken hatchling
1 soul stair expedition
1 grim discovery
1 marsh casulties
3 umara raptor
1 stonework puma
1 reckless scholar
1 paralyzing grasp
1 hideous end
1 vampire nighthawk
4 heart stabber mosquito
1 nimana sellsowrd
1 gruul draz spectre
1 living tsunami
1 sphinx of the lost truths
1 hagra diabolist
10 swamp
9 island

This is a 19 land deck you get too 7 mana you win that simple, a land is better than expedition map in a 2 colour deck. Also you def want to be playing soul stair, look at the creature you can recur allies yes please, mosquito, sphinx, hawk yes please. This deck actually makes tsunmai look bad as you really want the mana but i could not bring myself to cut it.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is going to seem like a noob comment, but have you ever tried playing 3-4 colors in this sealed format?

If you get a pool like this with an inordinate amount of Allies, it could work. You have maps, and stuff of that nature.

You could then decide which support colors are most important (removal, bombs) and go from there.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no point going to 3 or 4 colours when you can build a powerful deck with 2 colours. With a deck this good, mana/curve issues are really the only ways you will lose, and so its wise to minimize their possibility.
SJM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you go 3/4 color allies when you can't build a good 2 color deck. This pool can build a strong 2 color deck in black/blue, black/red, or even red/blue (but with casualties, nighthawk, hideous end, you run black - casualties and nighthawk are imo the best cards in the format at any rarity). In an 8-10 round sealed I think you're looking for consistency. Furthermore, a 4 color deck demands a green base for mana fixing. The green in this pool is awful.

I did consider 3 color allies (blue/red/black), but the strong cards in black are all double black and some of the best cards in blue are double blue so at that point you're losing consistency to pick up tuktuk grunts, punishing fire, and a couple of geopedes which is definitely not worth it.

I see some pros like that Swedish kid at GP tampa they did a feature on building 4 color allies, but frankly I'd never do that. It would take a hell of a lot of Zendikar sealed on Magic Online and trial and error before I'd be confident doing that. I don't play on Magic Online, though I probably should if I really wanted to take my game to the next level.

However, I am at that point where I will easily splash or even go straight 3 colors if I have a green base with harrow and maybe a gem or a dual or something. Sometimes you can't build a 2 color deck that is good enough. However, if you can't, you probably don't have a strong card pool to begin with so you're probably hosed regardless of what you do.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1