Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTG The Movie!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic

Would a MTG movie interest you?
yes
75%
 75%  [ 28 ]
no
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 37

clayparson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea has been brought up before. Terrible, terrible idea. I would probably quit magic if there were a movie.
Vito

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why?

i mean does a movie (good or bad) really effect the game itself?

sure there will be more people showing up to play more often and the field would become primarily noobs for awhile...but in the end it would increase the number of people playing magic, funnel more money into WotC for Magic and who knows what other benefits could come from it..
Oop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best and most successful way to do it would be to have it be like their current ideas are now, and follow planeswalkers along in their battles... some of the comic books that they have out now I think could be extended to make cool movies... and that way they could depict multiple planes since they would be walking through many Very Happy
muskogee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about instead of a move they made like a mini series and cover the recent planes walkers and their battles and such? i think it would be better and if it becomes a hit then let their be a movie or maybe a cartoon mini series of it even. but first they would have to find some one willing to learn the story and everything their alot of thought behind making a movie or series so even if wizards was thinking of it now they wouldn't be able to release it to theaters or tv for atleast a year
Tao

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what we be cool to see brought back? Magic (high-caliber) tournament coverage on ESPN 2. Seriously, Kai playing Wildfire Red in 1999 Worlds (it was Tokyo, right?) was covered by ESPN 2. Hell, I could watch poker AND magic in one sitting if things go my way.
Vito

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i don't know much about current planeswalkers but if a movie/series were made about the old storylines i'd be down to direct that shit...i spent 20,000 dollars studying it in college i might as well use it somehow...
kaamos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way they could tell the story of Magic the Gathering would be from the very beginning, Urza and Mishra, because they grew up in a time when magic itself was nearly unknown, all that was known was powerstones.

It would be like a Jame Cameron movie, a tale of two brothers set as slaves in the desert. One becomes a King, one becomes a warlord.

The thing is, if he directed it right, he would have to gear it more towards a fantasy cyberpunk type movie, something like Troy meets Harry Potter.

The medium of the movie, which would absolutely need to be LONG, would leave Urza in royalty and Mishra as the Warlords assistant, meeting again for the first time, as adults.

The end of the movie would be the war between the two, the Kingdom versus Mishra and his phyrexian altered army, with Urza blowing up the world with the power stones and the memory sylex...

And there would need to be some aftermath ending, with the indication that Urza was alive, but more importantly, a planeswalker, this would be necessary to facilitate the telling of a new story, of urza's madness, and his school. I am not sure exactly how I would write the following movie, I think Ratepe and Xanchta wouldnt even be in it, as that* book was fairly bland, in a big screen story point of view.

It would have to end with the third or fourth book for the second movie.

Now the second movie would hopefully have spawned, through a well written script, interest in the origin of the phyrexians and urza's power, this could lead into the movie one of two directions, either directly into invasion with the phyrexians,

-because storytelling gerard and the weatherlight would be awesome but would require too much screen time/movies to tell, and his stories doesnt infact include planeswalkers so much

Invasion puts a spotlight on planeswalkers defending dominaria from phyrexians, which would be epic as hell, the invasion block books were awesome for that.

OR, you go the prequel route, "The Thran" which imo is one of the best books in the series, if you love urza, or the phyrexians as villans, you will love Yawgmoth, he's like a Neitzschian dark god of evil and metal, you know the Metal fans in the world would love his grand design, the ineffible. As a man he was cold, calculating, and eventually, an evil perfectionist of the biological form. He's the only mortal to effectively kill a planeswalker, make that two planeswalkers technically. He's the only non-planeswalker essentially more powerful than a planeswalker.

How he comes to power, over a race so advanced, and the war between his phyrexians and the Thran is a classic, perhaps even more classic than "The Brothers War" that would make a great prequel movie to these.

Another good block to start off with, thats a bit more Harry Potter like* would be the Ice Age Block, with Urza's latest descendant: Jodah. He starts out as a child, mentored by a fire mage, captured and nearly jailed for his magic knowledge, escapes, gets into war as a soldier, escapes, gets into a magic school taken over by a greedy wizard Mairsil (by trapping the good owner Ith within a prison of swallowing darkness), who stays alive throughout the ages as a parasite mind within a ring, who posseses a dark warrior, and becomes Lim-dul in the second book.

I mean, Jodah is in 3-4 magic schools in these books, Iths school, His own school, a school of wizards and students re-animated by lim-dul (lol) and then his own school again, because they had to relocate.

Jodah grows UP in these books, learns magic like a normal individual might, and goes through school/s doing so. People could relate to him better as a wizard rather than a super powerful inexhaustible being of pure power, and even so there are 3 of them in the Ice Age block.

All in all, when you read a book you dont remember text, you remember what your mind imagines while reading the book, so I recommend them, theyre all really good. Until after Dominaria and the phyrexians are gone, then I lost interest.

Also, I would also agree, a young Christopher Walken would look the part of Urza, but he's too physically expressive for a cold calculating inhuman mind like Urza, that and Ive never seen him shake out his accent EVER. Even if he could do both- he's too old because Urza constantly changes his appearance in age by his mental state, sometimes he's the gem eye'd god, sometimes he's the young man- mishra's brother.

Nobody remembers when Nicol Bolas was just a dragon in the books ;0
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2