Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U/R Aggro Trap Combo

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Vito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: U/R Aggro Trap Combo Reply with quote

so after checking out all the U/R Trap combo decks i tried running one myself and found the original build to be a bit slow esp. against fast aggros like G/r elves and goblins so i tweaked it a little and have come up with this so far

// Lands
2 [CFX] Reliquary Tower
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
6 [ZEN] Mountain (3)
9 [ZEN] Island (3)
2 [ALA] Crumbling Necropolis

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

// Spells
2 [M10] Jace Beleren
4 [ZEN] Trapmaker's Snare
3 [M10] Twincast
2 [ZEN] Archive Trap
2 [CFX] Font of Mythos
3 [ARB] Double Negative
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [M10] Howling Mine
4 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
4 [ALA] Call to Heel
1 [ZEN] Pyromancer Ascension

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Pyromancer Ascension
SB: 4 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [ZEN] Trapfinder's Trick
SB: 3 [ALA] Swerve
SB: 3 [CFX] Volcanic Fallout

the basic goal is use the Goblin Guides for 1st turn drops that can net your opp a card as well as swing in for 2 or block their 1st/2nd turn drop...bolts are good against Great Sable Stag and the double negative can stop any cascades that may be bothersome....call to heel nets them an extra card and bounces anything that the bolts and guides can't stop...all of this should be able to hold your opp off until you can pull 2 mines or a font and a couple of runeflares/snares...twincast doubles up the flares and jace provides decent draw while also increasing your opp hand size for the trap...archive trap comes in handy if it becomes a mill race and i threw in a pyro ascenision just to see if it comes in handy

the sideboard is pretty decent considering that against jund i get 4 more counters to play with as well as volcanic fallout which can stop the thrinax leftovers as well as help against creature heavy aggro builds like elves and goblins...swerve and trapfinder's trick are anti-mirror tools and i'm not sure about the extra pyro's yet...still debating whether i want to keep that or not....

i haven't got to test this version of the build yet but the basic idea has been tested a few times and fares pretty well against everything except speedy aggro...let me know what you think
Vito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx alot...i actually enjoy the long replies....they actually give good criticism and true opinions and i can tweak my deck based off of the gathering ideas...

here's what i did to it

// Lands
2 [CFX] Reliquary Tower
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
6 [ZEN] Mountain (3)
9 [ZEN] Island (3)
2 [ALA] Crumbling Necropolis

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

// Spells
2 [M10] Jace Beleren
4 [M10] Twincast
4 [CFX] Font of Mythos
3 [ARB] Double Negative
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
2 [M10] Howling Mine
4 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
4 [ALA] Call to Heel
2 [ZEN] Into the Roil

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Into the Roil

**after a bit of solo testing the consistency has become much better. combo pieces turn up faster and the mana base is pretty reliable. switched 2 mines for 2 more fonts and dropped the ascension. i'm liking trapfinder's trick/swerve in sb v. the mirro and into the roil works well against jund and any pesky PW like nissa, garruk and elspeth. not sure where i stand on flashfreeze yet but i like the extra counter against jund and volcanic fallout works well v. the aggro decks out there.
TaKK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... this seems interesting. Generally I'm opposed to giving huge draw power to Jund-like decks, but I can see this deck getting an OMGWTFBBQ Win every once in awhile.

Anyway, I really don't think Font > Howling Mine. You have no other 2-drops and you have other cantrip cards that can give your opponent that dreaded 3rd draw of the turn (i.e. call to heel, jace, other mines). I would much rather spend T4 with mana open to not die than playing a Font and getting bashed in the face with turn 4 BBE -> Blightning. I'd run 4 Mine 2 Font.

What do you think of Burning Inquiry? Granted the random discard is a downside to you, but it can also hit your opp's threats that you're constantly supplying them with. And of course it turns Runeflare online.

I'm not sold on 4 Twincast, and definitely not sold on 2 Jace. Run 3. No question.
Oop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been testing a version of this, a lot of our cards are different, but the general mine + runeflare trap idea....

You MUST have 4 mines.... and 3 fonts seems like the right number from my testing

As for Jace I feel he actually doesnt belong in the deck, but I might be up to test him again... usually people wont attack him at all so hes just a bad howling mine / font

As for twincast, I actually just cut it from my list because it was just not good enough, double blue and is only relevant once in a while

I would also definitely cut call to heel for unsummon, although your trying to give them cards the mana cost is very relevant

Crumbling necropolis seem like it should be just mountains, you only have 10 sources for t1 goblin guide, and reliquary tower could prolly go down to 1... you really shouldnt have an issue discarding anyways since all your spells should cost 1-2
Vito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...tweaked it a bit...just finished. let me know what everyone thinks

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
8 [ZEN] Mountain (3)
9 [ZEN] Island (3)
1 [CFX] Reliquary Tower

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

// Spells
3 [CFX] Font of Mythos
3 [M10] Howling Mine
4 [M10] Unsummon
3 [M10] Jace Beleren
4 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
3 [ARB] Double Negative
4 [M10] Twincast
2 [ZEN] Into the Roil

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Into the Roil

dropped call to heel for unsummon. dropped the crumbling necropolis and 1 reliquary tower for a couple mtns and an island. added 1 jace (he helps speed up my card draw as well as my opp...w/o it the deck may not be fast enough). still can't choose between mine or font so just running 3 of each. and i'm sold on twincast...it's a possible insta-kill on turn 4 if i get off runeflare on turn 3 or even bolt on turn 1...as long as turn 2 and 3 i can play mine turn 4 ends up killing most of the time. have to keep playing with it...i love this idea tho...reminds of the old Oath of Druid days way back. Enjoy everyone!
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck has been discussed in the UR Runeflare Combo thread for a month.

I think that my current version is quite optimal - but it still isn't good enough. It looks that it would beat elves quite easily (haven't faced it), and Jund is often too slow if you can counter their Pulses. Basically, many decks are absolutely helpless against the combo. But it autoloses vs red and decks with counterspells are very tough.

It is fun to play, though, but I wouldn't use in a tournament unless the meta is full of decks that are byes.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1