Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a shop soon questions to all magic players

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
nasa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Starting a shop soon questions to all magic players Reply with quote

My friend and I have been playing for 10+ years of magic and are looking into starting our own store so i have some questions for you guys.

What are you looking for when you go to a store?

What makes you go to one store, but not another?

what kind of special events do you like to see, even if you dont play the format often?

what is the ideal food situation for you at your local shop?

how far are you willing to drive for a really good shop?

any non-magic things you enjoy to see at your local shop?

just let me know what you look for in a shop

also if any shop owners are on here, let me know, i would like to talk more in depth.

thanks a lot!
Nasa
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a magic shop come strip club, people could stick one dollar rares in the girls thongs.

Also you prob need a bouncer on the door with some deoderant.
Tao

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it to be friendly. I make it a point not to go to places that have an unfriendly playing atmosphere. This isn't really the store's problem, but that's really the only difference I see between stores. I like stores that run a full gamut of events: standard, sealed, extended, draft, legacy, casual vintage, EDH, even fun casual formats like Constructed 2HG, Bring Your Own Standard, etc. I don't really care much about food at shops; I'd much prefer to just walk/drive to a nearby fast food joint or a deli. Drinks are a good call, I usually always end up buying one when I'm at my local shop. 20-30 minutes is a good distance, but if its a release/pre-release or a larger scale tournament (PT Qualifiers, States, Regionals, etc.) I have no problem going farther, within reason. there isn't anything that I play besides magic, so there's nothing I would suggest. Just be open to what some of the people there are suggesting, I guess. Best of luck!
Loop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important things are to keep the store tidy and to keep the atmosphere friendly to newer players.
nasa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the great advice so far,
some things ive seen at shops i liked

Xbox's, Wii's hooked up to some tvs with online capabilities

Wifi for free
coolcreep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been brought up is cost/prize support. For example, when I lived in guelph I rarely played, while in Toronto I played a lot, because the prices in Toronto were better ($13 draft, with $3 prize support vs. $15, with $2.50 prize support). There is another place in my area, called Moz Magic, that is in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, but he still gets a lot of business because he has a good atmosphere and excellent prize support. As is usually the case, the best way for you to make profits is to treat your customers well, be it in terms of atmosphere or prices etc.
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you looking for when you go to a store?

What I look for in a shop is an atmosphere that is friendly. A place that also has lots of options when it comes to gaming.

What makes you go to one store, but not another?

Space. Plain and simple. A shop that has a lot of space will generate a lot of business. If things are too cramped people will get uncomfortable and choose to go elsewhere. Not to mention, if there are a lot of people at one time things can get a bit out of hand.

what kind of special events do you like to see, even if you dont play the format often?

Having a wide variety of events for all games, not just magic, will bring in lots of different people. You should keep this in mind as more games and events will draw in more people.

what is the ideal food situation for you at your local shop?

At the store that I go to they sell snacks and soda and then also keep a folder with all sorts of menus that deliver to their location. This is by far the best option in my opinion. Also, they are pretty relaxed when it comes to bringing food in as some places dont deliver.

how far are you willing to drive for a really good shop?

For me nothing more than an hour and a half away. The shop that I go to regularly is about an hour away. People shouldnt have to travel so far that it becomes a hassle to enjoy their gaming experience.

any non-magic things you enjoy to see at your local shop?

Like I said earlier, various games and gaming events is a plus. Also, having the option to have wifi is big too. I know people that come to my local shop just to hang out and use the wifi to play modo or WoW.

If you want more details send me a message.
jakeywakey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

games and bongs... its like a head shop and a game store, u call it "head games"
Pillsburry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they'res a big event at my local store, the owner buy's alot of pizza and sells pieces 2$ each and makes alot of profit Smile
Malakai97
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: alcohol license
CloaknDagger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positive things:

1) Space you're willing to dedicate to gaming versus just selling stuff. The best stores I've gone to have had at least half the store dedicated to actively sitting down and playing. Any less than half and it looks bad.

2) Low profit margin. Ask yourself, would you rather have a customer pay once and give you a 50 cent profit, or pay twice at a 25 cent profit each? The end result is the same to you, but the customers won't give you repeat business if you choose the first option. This is probably the most important lesson.

3) Lots of different events. If you're focusing just on magic, make sure you're regularly hosting the most popular formats and throw in the occasional fun format (Portal sealed at discount prices). Keep it diverse, advertise well. You'll fill your store up fast.

4) Cleanliness. Gamers are smelly. Smelly smelly smelly. Have good ventilation, be willing to have someone clean the bathrooms, and keep an extra can of axe in the bathroom for your customers (chain it if you have to, lol). Obviously make sure things look nice and are presentable. Clean tables, floors, etc.

5) Atmosphere. Can't peg this without going into alot of intangibles, but you basically want to make sure you're about the customer over the profit, because you can't have #2 without #1. Nothing is more of a turnoff for a store than to realize the guy owning it just wants you to spend money. Obviously that's why you're in business but do what you can to underscore the customer over your pocketbook.

Bad things:

My local store manager used to pull us in a back room and go over how much money we had spent at his store over the last year. It felt like a fucking gestapo and when I was a broke 16 year old with just enough money to afford the entree fees to sealed deck tournies, it made me hate the owner for life. Still do to this day.

Don't ever. Ever. EVER, make your customers feel like they have to spend money at their store. They ONLY thing that will make that is a positive atmosphere and competitive prices.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am looking for:
1. close geographic proximity (by far most important)
2. decent crowd (at least 12 for FNM)

What makes me choose one store over another:
1. driving distance. I prefer 15 minutes over 40 minutes.
2. Play area. One store I sometimes go to has a terrible play area with warped tables and barely enough room and people are stepping all over each other. Another store has a wonderful play area with plenty of room, so I go there even though they charge $2 extra just to use their play area.

Special events:
Prereleases
Two Headed Giant
Sealed (but most people won't pay for sealed)

Ideal food:
Snacks, candy bars, drinks, mountain dew, coke/pepsi. Preferably beer, but good luck with that. Anything beyond snacks is gonna create mess, clean up, smells, overhead. Not worth it.

Driving distance:
40 minutes is my absolute maximum drive. However, I live in a big city with many stores to choose from. If I lived out in the sticks I'd probably set my max to 1 hour for FNM type events/casual play.

Non-Magic:
Comic Books. I don't buy them, or read them. I just like to see them. Also, gaming computers with internet connection for rent. I don't use them, but they are nice to see. Honestly, this is probably a waste of money. You will take forever to recoup your investment in those gaming machines.

Source: late 20's white male that spends about $250 on Magic per month between events and buying booster boxes etc.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloaknDagger wrote:

Bad things:

My local store manager used to pull us in a back room and go over how much money we had spent at his store over the last year. It felt like a fucking gestapo and when I was a broke 16 year old with just enough money to afford the entree fees to sealed deck tournies, it made me hate the owner for life. Still do to this day.

Don't ever. Ever. EVER, make your customers feel like they have to spend money at their store. They ONLY thing that will make that is a positive atmosphere and competitive prices.

Yea, don't be that guy.

The first store I played Magic at had an owner that did this. He'd constantly be talking trash at the Magic players saying how he didn't make any "real money" off of us and we just scared off good customers and he made all his money on comics anyway.

Blah, blah, blah.

If you wanna charge $2 a day for people to use your gaming tables/area, do it. Don't let them use your store for free then whine that they don't spend enough money there.
nasa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow guys,
thank you very much, i feel like im getting some really great things, a lot of things i feel like i already knew, but never thought of ya know,
i know the best shops ive been to are really about how great the staff is, friendly and willing to just chat for a while.

how large on singles should they be?
only t2 singles or more? it becomes a space issue at points im sure.
nasa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2