Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control and Creating space

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
OldBear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Control and Creating space Reply with quote

Control and creating space

Hi today I am going to attempt to talk about changeís modern magic has brought to the game of the control player that as far as I am aware in other articles has not been addressed, though I could be wrong I am not the avid reader of mtg strategy articles I once was.

My reasons for doing this is I think that it is a topic that has yet to be addressed by the pros of the magic world in there numerous articles, plus I enjoy intelligent deabte and because I think at the moment from what I have read on the forums there are alot of new players around who could benefit from such an article so this is me doing my bit.

I would like to layout that what I am attempting to do here is create a intelligent discussion about how control has changed in the modern game of magic. Counter arguments are great, insults are not for the most part I will try to be the better person and ignore them but Im not always going to play the better person you get what you give etc.

Back in the good old days building a control deck was much more simple, opposing decks could attack you in far fewer ways and for 2-mana counterspell answered all of them. Well now its not so simple, there are spells counter spellís can not stop and cheaper spells that can slip into play much easier in the face of your now much steeper priced counter spells. A control deck is now looking to answer such a wide variety of threats that doing it in 60 cards is no easy job, planeswalkers, cascade, unearth, uncounterable creatures, so many different angles to cover how can control have all the necessary answers to the wide variety of threats out there?

The answer spells that create space, we keep our decks as close to 60 cards to make them as lean and efficient as possible, to allow us the maximum chance of drawing our power spells in a timely fashion. The corner stone of every control deck in current standard is cryptic command this is a spell that in itself creates space. I have read many comments in the forums about cryptic command being the most powerful spell in standard. Yet is countering a spell and drawing a card for 4 mana or countering a spell and bouncing a permanent for 4 mana unfair, in comparison to 7 mana gain 5 life your opponent loses 5 life, your opponent discards 3 cards you draw 3, your opponent sacrifices a creature and you return one from your graveyard to your hand, or a 5 mana 5/5 lifelink flying first striker. No!

So why is cryptic command so good then?

Then answer it solves multiple problems in one card, so rather than having to include 8 spells to answer two different threats the format presents to us as a control player these versatile answers such as cryptic command or esper charm allow us to cheat and use a single spells to answer multiple threats. No longer does control have to run spells like boomerang main deck for when the plan goes wrong and something slips through our wall of counters as cryptic command can do both it can counterspells plus bounce a permanent, using up 4 slots in our deck instead of 8, creating space for us to use those valuable slots to solve a different problem that modern magic throws at us god knows there are enough.

Equally esper charm, can answer that turn 2 bitterblossom before it gets out of hand develop our own game by acting as card advantage or get the last and best 2 cards your opponent has been saving for when you are low on mana out of his hand. It is these versatile spells that are able to answer multiple different problems in one card that keep control decks fighting a valiant and successful fight against aggro and combo in the ever diversifying meta of modern magic. Even if it costs a little more than seems reasonable or is as hard to cast turn 3 as a 3 mana spell can be ie esper charm if it fits more than one role in the deck then it is worth extra consideration as it may mean that we can run less or none at all of a spell we would otherwise have to run in order to compete. Creating 4 free slots in our deck we can use to respond appropriately to whatever the current meta is.

For me now when ever I am looking to build a control deck this is a question I am asking myself, what spells are out there that can answer multiple threats with in one spell, effectively creating room in my deck for more answers or threats or whatever the format calls for. As these spells are now the corner stone of every successful control deck because a modern control player has to be ready to be possessed a lot more questions than our old timer counter parts were ever asked. We have the tools cryptic command, esper charm, pithing needle, runed halo the art is now in creating a deck that allows us the correct distribution of answers to threats to cope with the modern environment, that means your cryptic command is working over time countering opposing cruel ultimatums, tapping all creatures in response to a garruk ultimate or bouncing that chameleon colossus so you can counter it second time of asking. The days of counterspell and swords to the ploughshares solves all the questions any deck can ask me are over, modern magic demands that we adapt and change just as our spells are going to have too in order to compete.

Feedback appreciated.
HuDat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it.. thank you for writing this up but I'm sorry that I can't give my insights =[ I'm running low on time.. I'll have to comment on this later
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well atleast someone liked it, even if we have not got much of a debate going:(

Would also like to just point out that what we know as a toolbox multiple searchable one and two offs, is also another control concept and a way of creating space in control decks, that has been around alot longer than these multiple mode cards we are enjoying at the moment.
HuDat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's sad that this got bumped off front page so quickly =[
Varno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely enjoyed this alot...great read. But here's a question is it possible for a silver bullet style control deck to arise now in this meta game?
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think so mostly because you do not really have the cards need to make such a deck work. Like top, gifts or mystical teachings, primal command allows for some sort of toolbox deck to be played but at 5 mana sorcery speed its a bit on the steep side but still a very good card. Although a deck utilising primal and cryptic would seem quite interesting to me.

This is therotically how such a deck could look with no real testing.

4 cryptic command
4 Primal Command
4 Esper Charm
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Broodmate Dragon
1 Great sable stag
1 Glen Eladra Archmage
1 Sower of Temptation
1 Shriekmaw
1 Mulldrifter
1 Caldera Hellion
1 Makeshift Mannequin
1 Gravedigger
3 Volcanic Fallout
2 Cruel Ultimatumn
1 Firespout
1 Hallowed Burial
3 Broken Ambitions
1 Negate
1 remove Soul
1 Pithing Neddle
1 Runned Halo

Last edited by OldBear on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Varno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully some sort of toolbox card comes out of zendikar that will allow the toolbox decks to flourish once again.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1