Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serra and Baneslayer in same set=Proof of milking the cash?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Duodax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Serra and Baneslayer in same set=Proof of milking the cash? Reply with quote

Why does M10 have Serra Angel AND in the same mana spot a widely superior angel? Is this; the apperance of Mythic Rares and the Wrath Reprint really Wizardīs way to say to the YGO kiddies: "You get straightly better stuff if you pay more buckz? We are out of ideas." Like Gemini Elf in Yu-Gi-Oh; only in the year 2009?
If the angel would be 4 mana 4/4, it would be at least ok from the flavour perspective, a "smaller" angel really needs the protection from evil creatures while the original one beats the heck out of most demons and dragons and does only need it versus Hellkite as it seems to me...
Not only that, but it would be even more playable and be actually killable by red without card disadvantage. Again Red pulled the ass ticket.
Without the existence of Mythics, it would be a great rare in a great set...

Dear Wizards, please stop doing such shit and keep the fame of your game up.
orphan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can look at Serra's Angel as a sigh that wizards is making uncommon and common cards better. Serra's Angel has been a rare for years, and now it sits at the uncommon rarity. There are a few M10 reprints/functional reprints that actually brought the rarity down a level. Also, one of the best cards in standard (Bloodbraid Elf) is at uncommon.

Wizards has generally avoided money grubbing, and the new i dont think the "new wrath" is a sigh of this. Doomblade is terror that can hit artifacts but allows the creature to be regenerated, and it would only make sense to create a wrath effect that allowed creatures to regenerate. It opens up a lot of space in designing decks.

The only thing that i can see eye to eye with you on is the fact that Baneslayer shouldn't be a mythic. Up until this point non-Planeswalker tournament staples have avoided the mythic rarity, well... at least tournament staples that are 4of in many decks. In the future wizards should be more aware of the impact of the mythic rarity on the price of potentially highly played cards. Mythic cards should be reserved for timmy/johnny cards that are flashy and capture the flavor of the sets they come from, which is what shards block gave us.
Y2Sky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeat after me, kids. "Wizards does NOT make money directly from the secondary market"
orphan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is very true, but if the secondary market for cards in a given set is high that would lead to an increase in sales of boxes of that set to vendors and players.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baneslayer is awesome. He is full of flavor, which means full of win.
Baneslayer is a Magic card that stands for the color white.
It's pretty powerful, but also pretty rare!
I'll be so happy if I, as casual player open a Baneslayer Angel.

4 Points why Baneslayer is great for M10.
Duodax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippi, please. Donīt put the judges also to shame with this...Itīs shameful enough how Reflecting Pool is ruled.
Serra was in 10th an uncommon already because even the last man under the rock has understood that a vanilla 5 mana 4/4 flying donīt deserves to be a rare anymore. Serra was just rare because of the creature type, but Angels are now printed inflationary I must say.
Pekken
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, rares have always been better than uncommons and commons. Welcome to the wonderful world of Magic: the Gathering.

Also, how exactly is Reflecting Pool ruled?
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this WAS the point WHY magic trumps over the other TCGS!!! NONONO!!!
The powerlevel of commons, uncommons and rares were balanced. They are crap commons and good ones. The same is true for UCs and Rares.

You are soundling like a YGO player, where there are 95% crap cards and 5% easy to recognize, obvious staple cards.
No offense though, if I am wrong.

I am not allowed to tell more about the mythics behind Reflecting Pool. Some people have some reasons why I wonīt reveal it.
Pekken
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serra Angel was a crap rare before, nowadays a filler uncommon. Baneslayer Angel is playable in constructed.

Magic is dead.
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I remind you the very first control decks used it as a finisher when it was Beta and Uncommon???

Magic is not dead, itīs on the way to death if they donīt clean up with that shit ASAP!
Burton911

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are soundling like a YGO player, where there are 95% crap cards and 5% easy to recognize, obvious staple cards.
No offense though, if I am wrong.

In fact he is a YGO Player, (lost and missunderstood in the wide world of mtg).

Quote:
May I remind you the very first control decks used it as a finisher when it was Beta and Uncommon???

May i remind you that Serra Angel was overpowerd compared to the other available finisher back then. One of the reasones why Serra Ange remains in the Basic Sets cause its an iconic Creature, and a part of the history of the game.
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the designer still have to be creative so they donīt just create a obvious superior card in exatly the same mana slot.
Itīs like 7-Colored fish: 4 stars 1800/800 (common)
and Gemini Elf: 4 stars 1900/900 (secret rare).
4 Mana 4/4 would solve this problem perfectly (but Guardian Seraph would lose his job though or be a 3 mana 3/3 too...)
If Wizardīs want to feel players white is the airplane color now, then it should be evident in all rarities.

But I see, here is not my place, I should have a job there to laugh at you or not.
SuperDelfin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Tarmogoyf and Thornweald Archer in the same set? Dark Confidant and Roofstalker Wight?
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duodax wanted to suggest Rupture Spire will dominate T2 post-rotation.
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donīt you think Wizards will milk us with new two colored lands? Or do you have secret information? Wink
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2