Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trinisphere

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
getmatt201

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Trinisphere Reply with quote

How does trinisphere work with "X" spells like blaze or consume spirit?

I was also wondering how it would work with things with suspend.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you cast the spell (for suspended cards this would be when the last time counter is removed, not when you pay the suspend cost), you look at how much mana you're paying for the spell without Trinisphere. Figure in everything else except for Trinisphere; X, kicker, entwine, alternate costs, additional costs, cost reductions, all of it. Once you figure out exactly how much mana you're paying, then if that number is less than 3, Trinisphere ups the cost to 3.

So with Blaze, if X is 1, then the cost before Trinisphere is 1R, Trinisphere then increases it to 2R. If X is 2, the cost is 2R and Trinisphere doesn't modify it at all.

With a suspended card, you're casting it without paying it's mana cost. So the total amount of mana you're paying is 0. Trinisphere then increases the cost to 3.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Spells:
"All Crazy Teenagers have tried Magic Pills"

Which means:

Announce (and put the spell on the stack)
Choose (what it does, which modes, what additional costs to pay, X, etc.)
Target (if necessary)
How (it affects those targets, if there are options)
Total (cost: mana cost plus additional costs minus cost reductions)
Mana (abilities may be played now)
Pay (and then it becomes played)

You chose an X as 2nd part of casting a spell. Later on the total cost is determined.
If now, for example Blaze, you chosed an X of 1, then the total cost would be R1, but R1 is less than 3 total so Trinsiphere kicks in here and increases the total to 2R.
If instead, you chosed X=5, then the total cost is already greater than 3 (R+5 = 6) and Trinisphere does not affect it.

Suspend.
Same:
"All Crazy Teenagers have tried Magic Pills"
announce, chose, target and how work normal.
As it determines the cost, suspend says "Zero" (without paying), but zero is less than 3, so Trinisphere kicks and and increases it to 3.

This means: To unsuspend a spell with Trinsiphere on the battlefield, you need to pay 3.
getmatt201

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. I understand X spells. I still don't get what happens when the last time counter is removed.

Suspend says:
(Rather than cast this card from your hand, you may pay _ and exile it with a time counter on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.

I could understand if it said you may cast it without paying its mana cost but it says you have to play it. What happens if you don't have the 3 to play it? Does it just stay removed from the game?
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getmatt201 wrote:
I could understand if it said you may cast it without paying its mana cost but it says you have to play it. What happens if you don't have the 3 to play it? Does it just stay removed from the game?

You must play it, if you are able to. If you have the mana in your mana pool to pay for the spell, you must do so. However you are not required to play any mana abilities to get that mana, so you will usually effectively have a choice.
LoneWulf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getmatt201 wrote:

Yes, it stays removed from the game and you won't be able to cast it later even if you do get the 3 for the Trinisphere.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1