Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions on B/R?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
StohS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Suggestions on B/R? Reply with quote

Hello. This is my 1st post here as well as my 1st deck I've constructed (Way new to the game)

// Lands
5 [RAV] Mountain (4)
5 [RAV] Swamp (4)
4 [LRW] Vivid Marsh
4 [M10] Dragonskull Summit
4 [LRW] Vivid Crag
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool

// Creatures
4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
4 [ARB] Anathemancer
2 [M10] Cemetery Reaper
2 [CFX] Goblin Outlander
2 [M10] Black Knight
2 [ALA] Rockslide Elemental
2 [CFX] Bloodhall Ooze

// Spells
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
2 [M10] Chandra Nalaar
2 [M10] Earthquake
2 [ALA] Dragon Fodder
2 [ALA] Lightning Talons
2 [CFX] Dark Temper
2 [ARB] Terminate

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [M10] Magma Phoenix
SB: 4 [M10] Ball Lightning
SB: 2 [EVE] Soul Snuffers
SB: 2 [M10] Dread Warlock
SB: 3 [LRW] Tarfire
SB: 2 [EVE] Balefire Liege

Anything I should take out and add? I mainly wanted this to be used to take out WW and tokens.

I appreciate any suggestions. Smile
rast2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions on B/R? Reply with quote

StohS wrote:

2 [ALA] Rockslide Elemental
2 [CFX] Bloodhall Ooze
2 [ALA] Dragon Fodder
2 [ALA] Lightning Talons

Those cards, at a minimum, should be removed.

Also your manabase is bad -- too many cipt lands.
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been my experience IRL that Rockslide is actually better than he seems at first.

As for the others... Looks... Ok... I'd personally prefer to put Reaper in a deck with more zombies.

Where's the Doom Blades? >_>
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to use Rockslide elementals you might as well use Shriekmaws instead of Terminate.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that your first constructed deck uses 26 lands instead of, say, 18, which is a common beginner mistake.

But I have to say that 26 is a bit too much in a deck like this.

Then I have to repeat my deckbuilding recipe (I actually stored it somewhere):

here are some general tips for deckbuilding beginners: 

1. Read the Wotc articles on deckbuilding (building on a budget etc). There are other deckbuilding sites as well. 

2. Look at the "pro" decks. They are normally quite optimal. Figure out why the cards they use are the best cards. 

3. Play a lot of magic. Figure out why you lose and why you win. Make changes to your deck accordingly. 

Deckbuilding guide: 

1. Create a game plan. This game plan needs to include one or more of the following scenarios: A) You are the attacking player, B) You are the defending player, C) You attack and defend at the same time, D) Your combo goes off and you win. (increasing difficulty) 

2. Build a deck using only the best cards available, aiming at following the game plan(s) chosen in 1. as consistently as possible. The logic behind this is that if you succeed in doing what the deck is supposed to do, you win the game - so the less variety the better. 

3. Normally, A) has lots of cheap spells and cost-efficient creatures that aims to deal as much damage as possible in as few turns as possible. B) normally has a lot of creature removal, card drawing and disruption in the form of counterspells, which allows the deck to stay alive long enough to play powerful win conditions. C) tries to combine the two, having cost-efficient creatures and spells as well as creature removal, card drawing and disruption - this allows these decks to cancel out the weaknesses of the other types. D) aims to set up a combination of two or more cards that either deals lethal damage in the span of one turn, or locks the opponent down for the rest of the game. 

4. Make sure that a majority of the spells in your deck has a casting cost of 3 or less, regardless of game plan. Very few decks could run 21 or less lands in Standard. Run at least 22, and at least 24 for B) decks. Use 4 copies of key cards, 3 copies of important cards, 2 copies of useful cards and 1 copy of cards that could come in handy in certain circumstances. Avoid multiple colours in early-game spells, if possible. 

5. The sideboard should improve bad matchups, but if you need to sideboard more than 4-5 cards against certain decks, your maindeck is wrong. Take out the non-key cards for the sideboard cards you need. 

6. Good luck. 

7. And no, nobody cares whether you got the cards you need or not. And nobody cares how you get the money to buy them. Magic is an expensive hobby and you'd better get used to it sooner than later.
TehDudeAbide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

5. The sideboard should improve bad matchups, but if you need to sideboard more than 4-5 cards against certain decks, your maindeck is wrong. Take out the non-key cards for the sideboard cards you need.

That is wrong. But if you side out the same card multiple times everytime you play you need to reconsider the card.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1