Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 23 Sealed Trial Tournament Report

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Pierrot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: August 23 Sealed Trial Tournament Report Reply with quote

I just had my first win in Magic League, so I thought I'd write a little bit about it! My card pool was really good. I had very good cards with synergy in combinations of white, black, red and green. I ended up putting together a black and white deck, but I was a little worried about mana--I had double colored casting costs in both cards and about an even number of cards. I played eight plains, eight swamps and a Teramorphic Expanse. Nightmare, Tendrils of Corruption and Armored Ascension also wanted lots of their respective basic lands. I had trouble cutting to 23 cards and wound up with a Weakness and Diabolic Tutor in my sideboard.

Round 1 vs fapfapfap

I win the roll and play first with a god draw. My first four turns are Elite Vanguard, Veteran Armorsmith, Veteran Swordsmith, Veteran Armorsmith.

1-0 games

I sideboard nothing. He chooses to play first and we both take mulligans. I had a slow start and he beats me down with a Stormfront Pegasus until I play a Razorfoot Griffin. Then he puts Armored Ascension on it and continues the beats. Divine Verdict sends him away. Another Razorfoot joins my team and gets equipped with Gorgon Flail. He plays Serra Angel, but she meets a Doom Blade. Next turn he plays Baneslayer Angel!!! I respond on my turn with a Howling Banshee, putting us both at low life--me at 8 and him at 6. I make a horrible play forgetting that Baneslayer has first strike and fly my banshee right into her. We stall for a while and then I get my own ascension and send a 7/6 swordsmith to the skies. He makes a big rush that clears a lot of the board, but I draw Xathrid Demon! Swordsmith to the head leaves him with too little life to survive the demon attack.

2-0 games, 1-0 matches

Round 2 vs PiluJr

He wins the roll and plays first. My first turn Elite Vanguard gets across once before he burns up with Seismic Strike. Black Knight comes out on my side and stairs across at his Stone Giant. I bring out Howling Banshee, and he decides to trade hits, then plays a Looming Shade, but the shade meets a quick end with Divine Verdict and Howling Banshee gets Assassinated. We trade some hits and my new friend Razorfiend Griffin also gets Assassinated. He casts Gravedigger and gets back the shade. Are you counting all this removal?! I was! I play a soldier and he plays Capricious Efreet. Not looking good for me! He gets unlucky on the efreet roll and Gravedigger falls into the hole he dug. I lose Black Knight and Veteran Armorsmith to Capricious Efreet and he plays a Rhino. Ouch.

0-1

With me playing first, we both start slowly with Terramorphic Expanse. I play a Warpath Ghoul and he responds with a Kelinore Bat. He lets the ghoul across once, but trades the next turn when he sees my Veteran Swordsmith join the fight. He plays Looming Shade and I play Black Knight. He blocks with the shade but I have Divine Verdict again. He kills my remaining ghoul with Consume Spirit, but I have an Elite Vanguard with Armored Ascension and he's out of removal.

1-1

I come out fast and play Black Knight and Warpath Ghouls. He has only a Prodigal Pyromancer, which he trades with then ghoul and then I play Elite Vanguard and Gorgon Flail. My knight gets Assassinated and my soldier dies to Seismic Strike. Next I try Soul Warden and she feels another Seismic Strike. Sheesh. Howling Banshee finally sticks to the table, bringing me to 17 and him to 15. He plays Dragon Whelp and Stampeding Rhino, but I have Pacifism and Doom Blade and the banshee flies across. He plays a Child of Night, but I draw White Knight. He gets a Stone Giant and throws the child up in the air for a chump block and life gain as his life dwindles. I get an armorsmith which takes down a charging rhino with the flail. He tutors for a bolt but it's too late now with a 5/5 double flailing banshee.

2-1, 4-1 games, 2-0 matches

Round 3 vs MT

I roll a 20 and play first! I play armorsmith and he plays Coral Merfolk to start things off. Armorsmith swings in for two and Warpath Ghoul joins the fight once again. I'm seriously mana flooded, but he has no idea yet. I'm worried about removal, but more worried that if I don't win fast, I'll lose to more business cards. I drop Armored Ascension on the ghoul. He doesn't have or draw anything and it ends quickly.

1-0

I am mana washed again, with my biggest creatures, Nightmare and Xathrid Demon. I decide to risk it but he pulls out Stormfront Pegasus and starts pounding me down. I play my Gorgon Flail and he adds Undead Slayer and I start taking four a round. Rhox Pikemaster on turn four means seven a round, and things are looking bleak. I topdeck Veteran Armorsmith and hand him the flail. He kills the pikemaster, but I'm down to three life. Nightmare finally comes out and stares across at the pegasus that's been making my life hell. I suck the life out of his pegasus with Tendrils of Corruption and take two from the slayer, netting me a gain of one. Nightmare flies across for three and Xathrid Demon joins the fight on my side. He's out of cards and looking for an answer. I sac my pacified armorsmith, play a swamp and enchant the nightmare with the flail, attacking with both big flyers for 12, drop Veteran Swordsmith and hand him the flail. He doesn't draw a miracle and dies during my upkeep.

2-0, 6-1 games, 3-0 matches

Round 4 vs BFT

I win the roll and drop Soul Warden, Gorgon Flail and Veteran Swordsmith before he plays anything, but he has a swordsmith of his own. He doesn't want to trade and takes three, and I follow with a Warpath Ghoul. He plays Horned Turtle and attacks for three. I don't want to trade, either, so I lose the life from Soul Warden and go back to twenty. I throw the flail on warden and attack with everyone. We trade and he's down to ten life. Elite Vanguard comes out to try his skill with the flail and Phantom Warrior comes out to stop him. They trade, but he's now down to six and Howling Banshee makes it three. My banshee meets an untimely end against Divine Verdict. I have a Razorfoot Griffin and think it's game when he flies over with the flail, but a Divine Verdict means his demise, too. I have another Razorfoot Griffin and his own Soul Warden arrives too late to help.

1-0

He plays first and I take a mulligan. We quickly face off with soldiers--two swordsmiths for him, two armorsmiths for me. We trade one set, making them normal size again, and I find Warpath Ghoul wants to fight some more. He attacks and I opt not to trade, so he brings out a Palace Guard. We trade a couple guys and he plays a Horned Turtle. I played Armored Ascension on an armorsmith, making him 5/6 and drop him to nine. He plays his own ascension and attacks back, dropping me to ten and then the armorsmith gets through again to put him at four. I play Rhox Pikemaster and he plays Serra Angel. I have a Divine Verdict for her, but he has Cancel, so I go to two life and he Earthquakes for two. I fall into the chasm.

1-1

I choose to play and he chooses to mulligan. I open with Elite Vanguard and follow him up turn two with Soul Warden and turn three Warpath Ghoul before he plays a Veteran Swordsmith. I swear, that ghoul is always on the warpath. He comes to fight. I attack with veteran and ghoul and he trades the soldier for the ghoul. I play Howling Banshee and he's down to ten. He's got a sage owl who immediately chump blocks and an armorsmith, but they're not helping him. More soldiers come out, an armorsmith and a swordsmith on my side, while the banshee takes him to seven. He summons an Air Elemental, but I've been holding Divine Verdict and I attack with everything, kill the elemental, and trade some guys. He's empty-handed and doesn't draw anything to help.

2-1, 8-2 games, 4-0 matches

Round 5 vs Mephisto aka Mizukage aka CrystalMeph

Meph and I play drafts together in #draft4you all the time and we've played several times. He makes the kind offer of letting me concede, but I graciously decline his proposal. I roll another 20 and decide to play! He asks if I'm playing u/w flyers and I ask if I'm really in that bad of a rut. I have a color problem and slow start, but eventually have Gorgon Flail and White Knight, but Meph has a bolt. He has a Bog Wraith (yikes!) but I have Divine Verdict again. Then he has Cudgel Troll, but I have Rhox Pikemaster to answer. He's got another bolt, ouch. He's also got a Looming Shade and I start getting thumped with just a flail and no one to swing it. He plays Rise from the Graveyard to get the wraith back and I scoop.

0-1

I play first again and have an armorsmith on turn two. He plays Child of Night and the two creatures decide to stay home. I attack and play Razorfoot Griffin, but he meets one of those pesky Lightning Bolts. I was playing around the bolt and when he brings out a Giant Spider, I have Rhox Pikemaster on my side and then Howling Banshee. I get the flail again and my creatures hand it around for attacks and blocks. He brings out a bird of paradise, chumps with his Child of Night for the life gain, then brings it back with Gravedigger. He has Overrun, but I respond by killing his spider with Tendrils of Corruption and he surrenders.

1-1

He decides to play first, but the first permanent on the board is my Black Knight and I follow with a Warpath Ghoul, but he brings out Giant Spider. I drop pacify the spider and drop him to thirteen. He has an Elvish Visionary and a Drudge Skeleton and we start trading some hits. Razorfoot Griffin comes out on my side, but he's got his own Warpath Ghoul and he drops my griffin with a Lightning Bolt and he's got his own Howling Banshee, taking him to eight and me to 16. I've got another Razorfoot Griffin. He casts Overrun, but I have Doom Blade for his 4/4 visionary and my first strikers take down the 4/4 skeleton, and I soak up the twelve points of damage to go to four. He's bluffing a trick, but I have another blocker in hand and I attack for fatal damage.

2-1, 10-3 games, 5-0 matches

Round 6 vs Ross_Co

We congratulate each other on making it to the finals! I roll a five, but he manages to squeak under me with a three and I play first while he mulligans. I have a first turn Soul Warden who gets through once before he drops a Deadly Recluse. I'm stuck at two land and we trade a couple hits and I play my Gorgon Flail. I play Black Knight, he plays Veteran Swordsmith and I play Warpath Ghoul, then he gets his own flail. I squeak through once with the knight to take him to fifteen, but then he plays Borderland Ranger and bolts my knight and we're stuck. I add Elite Vanguard to the mix and he picks up the flail. He attacks with everything, backing it up with Safe Passage. I was smelling just such a trap and lose only the vanguard and four life in the exchange. Soul Warden grabs the flail and she attacks along with the ghoul, taking him to ten life. He's got his own warden now, but I have Doom Blade when he attacks with everything again. My Soul Warden has developed a thirst for blood, attacks alone and trades with the spider. I've drawn a Warpath Ghoul and he picks up the flail, but it's a fight to the death for both when he fights the ranger also wielding a flail. He gets a Veteran Armorsmith, but I get another Warpath Ghoul and then Howling Banshee, and now he's at four with me at fourteen. His Llanowar Elf is no help as the banshee flies over swinging the flail.

1-0

He wants to draw first and I'm okay with that! I play a flail on my second turn, so he does the same thing on his. Unfortunately, I don't have any fast dudes this time. He plays a Veteran Swordsmith but I have Razorfoot Griffin. I'm thinking about razing, but his Giant Spider puts an end to that idea and then he adds a Cudgel Troll to make sure my griffin stays back on defense. He gives the flail to his troll and I think that looks so sharp on the troll that I add Pacifism to his accessories. I add a Black Knight, and start sneaking through for three and then tossing the flail back to my griffin. He comes up with Serra Angel and I bring out a big Nightmare, 5/5, and he drop Rhox Pikemaster. He's got the flail on his Giant Spider when I draw Tendrils of Corruption, suck the life out of the spider and fly across with Nightmare to take him down to nine. He tangles my griffin and we trade angel for nightmare, both with flails. We get stalled badly in a rapid enforcement of armorsmith, troll, pikemaster, palace guard and another armorsmith. We play about four turns of draw go before I come up with Howling Banshee, taking him to six and me to seventeen. He has a bolt for the banshee and we have some more turns of nothing. I finally come up with Armored Ascension and I drop it on the pikemaster who is now a massive 7/8. He has Safe Passage to buy himself a turn, but he can't come up with an answer.

2-0, 12-3 games, 6-0 matches

Thanks to all my opponents for the great games and thanks to the organizers for putting this tournament together. I had a ton of fun and made a nice advancement up in the limited rankings.

This was one of the hardest sealed decks I've ever built because my card pool was pretty amazing. I'll include the decklist below. As you can see, my red and green cards were strong as well and I could honestly build two decent decks with these cards. I never sideboarded a single card despite a Weakness and a Diabolic Tutor languishing in my sideboard. See you all next time!

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)
// NAME: Sealed Deck

// Lands
8 [M10] Plains (1)
8 [M10] Swamp (1)
1 [M10] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
1 [M10] Black Knight
1 [M10] Elite Vanguard
1 [M10] Howling Banshee
1 [M10] Nightmare
2 [M10] Razorfoot Griffin
1 [M10] Rhox Pikemaster
1 [M10] Soul Warden
2 [M10] Veteran Armorsmith
1 [M10] Veteran Swordsmith
2 [M10] Warpath Ghoul
1 [M10] White Knight
1 [M10] Xathrid Demon

// Spells
1 [M10] Armored Ascension
1 [M10] Divine Verdict
2 [M10] Doom Blade
2 [M10] Gorgon Flail
1 [M10] Pacifism
1 [M10] Tendrils of Corruption

// Sideboard
SB: 12 [M10] Plains (1)
SB: 11 [M10] Swamp (1)
SB: 1 [M10] Air Elemental
SB: 3 [M10] Angel's Mercy
SB: 1 [M10] Berserkers of Blood Ridge
SB: 1 [M10] Borderland Ranger
SB: 1 [M10] Bountiful Harvest
SB: 1 [M10] Bramble Creeper
SB: 1 [M10] Convincing Mirage
SB: 1 [M10] Coral Merfolk
SB: 1 [M10] Craw Wurm
SB: 1 [M10] Deadly Recluse
SB: 1 [M10] Diabolic Tutor
SB: 1 [M10] Divination
SB: 1 [M10] Drudge Skeletons
SB: 1 [M10] Elvish Visionary
SB: 1 [M10] Enormous Baloth
SB: 1 [M10] Entangling Vines
SB: 2 [M10] Firebreathing
SB: 1 [M10] Giant Growth
SB: 2 [M10] Giant Spider
SB: 1 [M10] Glorious Charge
SB: 1 [M10] Goblin Artillery
SB: 1 [M10] Goblin Piker
SB: 1 [M10] Ice Cage
SB: 21 [M10] Island (1)
SB: 2 [M10] Jackal Familiar
SB: 1 [M10] Kindled Fury
SB: 1 [M10] Kraken's Eye
SB: 1 [M10] Lightning Elemental
SB: 1 [M10] Lurking Predators
SB: 1 [M10] Mist Leopard
SB: 1 [M10] Ornithopter
SB: 2 [M10] Palace Guard
SB: 1 [M10] Panic Attack
SB: 1 [M10] Phantom Warrior
SB: 1 [M10] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [M10] Raging Goblin
SB: 1 [M10] Righteousness
SB: 1 [M10] Runeclaw Bear
SB: 1 [M10] Sage Owl
SB: 1 [M10] Sign in Blood
SB: 1 [M10] Silence
SB: 2 [M10] Silvercoat Lion
SB: 2 [M10] Snapping Drake
SB: 1 [M10] Soul Bleed
SB: 1 [M10] Sparkmage Apprentice
SB: 1 [M10] Telepathy
SB: 1 [M10] Unsummon
SB: 1 [M10] Viashino Spearhunter
SB: 1 [M10] Wall of Fire
SB: 1 [M10] Warp World
SB: 1 [M10] Weakness
SB: 18 [M10] Forest (1)
SB: 18 [M10] Mountain (1)
RiQuSP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, so, why did you not play Sign in Blood..
Pierrot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Sign in Blood, Weakness and Diabolic Tutor. I have 15 creatures and 8 spells. What would you have removed in favor of any of them?
Rath

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly one of the Gorgon Flails for Sign in Blood, I could be wrong on this, however.
Duodax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soulwarden obviosly...
Xerocious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i would have played the other 2 palace guards above that warpath ghouls. especially with that flails!! combo! combo! xD
and yeah, sign in blood > soul warden..
Duodax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Ghoul pounds fur three and palace does nothing...
Pierrot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not at all consider taking out a Gorgon Flail. They were my superstars and won game after game, both offensively and defensively.

Normally I would agree that Sign in Blood is a better card than Soul Warden, but I had two Gorgon Flails and I have repeatedly experienced people playing very slow, mid-game oriented decks in this format. Soul Warden almost always represents several points of life swing if played on the first turn and with two flails was still useful if drawn early. This deck played as a tempo deck, not a control deck. I used my removal and flails quickly to maintain pressure. First turn warden or vanguard, second turn knight or soldier, third turn soldier or ghoul, fourth turn removal or trade creatures to continue pushing through damage. Several of my games did not give my opponents six turns.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will think about them some more. I may have played palace guard if they gave some benefit to my other soldiers instead of just gaining from them. I would also have dropped soul warden if I had another first turn play.
Finntroll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palace Guard + Righteousness much? With a Gorgon Flail it's even more ridiculous...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1