Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Path to exile Question

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Delicious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your creature is still blocked
MetalDuck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, since it was designated as a blocker, your creature will be considered blocked, it just wont receive or deal damage.

Removal would absolutely destroy this game if it worked any other way.
ACM
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works the same way - if you destroy a creature that has already been declared as a blocker, the creature it blocked remains blocked, and will not assign and deal any combat damage, unless there were other creature blocking it or it has trample.
MetalDuck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were saying is;

Since you allowed him to assing his creature as a blocker, your creature is blocked. No questions asked. Since you removed it, though, no damage will be dealt to your creature or his, but damage isn't dealt from a blocked creature UNLESS it has trample.
MetalDuck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If you allow him to assign it as a blocker, the creature is blocked. End of story. You can bounce it, kill it, remove it, it does NOT matter. It is blocked.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not real technical and he was right.

If you want Plumeveil to block, you need to play it before the Declare Blockers Step, in the Declare Attackers Step at the latest.

After it resolves, it's still the Declare Attackers Step and both players have to pass priority before you can go to the Declare Blockers Step and you can block.

Since he gets priority, he can Path to Exile your Plumeveil before it can block. By the time you get to declare blockers, the Plumeveil is gone again and you won't be able to block.
DaWorm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:

After it resolves, it's still the Declare Attackers Step and both players have to pass priority before you can go to the Declare Blockers Step and you can block.

And that's why most of the answers begining with

"Yes...."

are simple wrong.

The question is/was:

He claims that i have to decale a target for Path to Exile before i attack, otherwise the guy is still blocked. Is that true?

Most of the answers here imply that after declaring attackers you can't react and/or blocking is an instant thing.
Obvioulsy you know better but Typhon66 don't
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different questions here and the answers given to both are correct.

1) If I play Path to Exile after blockers are declared to remove the only blocker, is my attacker still blocked?

The answer to that one is; yes, the attacker is still blocked. Once blockers are declared, the attacking creature is considered blocked no matter what happens to the blocking creature. Removing the blocking creature from the battlefield does not 'unblock' the creature.

2) Do I get to a chance to play Path to Exile on a Plumeveil played right before blockers are declared?

Yes, you can never go to blockers without you getting the chance to play Path to Exile. You can always play Path to Exile right before blockers.

These answers, although related, have in fact little to do with each other.

I don't know what all this nonsense about 'declaring a target for Path to Exile before I attack' is, but it's just that, nonsense. You have ample opportunity to play Path to Exile after attackers are declared but before blockers are declared and only have to choose a target then.

What you can't do, is wait to see which creature blocks and then remove that one and hope your creature goes unblocked. Declaring the blockers does not use the stack and can't be responded too.
DaWorm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:

I don't know what all this nonsense about 'declaring a target for Path to Exile before I attack' is, but it's just that, nonsense. You have ample opportunity to play Path to Exile after attackers are declared but before blockers are declared and only have to choose a target then.

The question was if this nonsense is true.
Read his post.

Sadly some answered with

Yes, .... [explanation]
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1