Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Owner of Magic Workstation

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Delicious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Owner of Magic Workstation Reply with quote

I'm tired of this crappy engine and the shitty lay out of everything.

I have heard there is a single programmer still in-twined with the project. Does anyone have any contact information? I would like to see if he would release the source codes or even if there is a price of owner ship on the program, so we can put our best minds to it and make it better.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detonator is the name of the designer still with the project. MWSData or MWSGames or some similar side you could most likely find him on. As for the application, it's written in C++ and to my knowledge the furthest he has gotten with the project is an unstable version 0.96. I don't know if anyone has tried to acquire the source code, however with OPT's ability to obsolete MWS it may not be worth buying it.

In any case if neither OPT or MWS are at a minimum of 1.00 by January 1 next year, I'll be putting a call out to programmers to develop a play application. It's a part of my list of coding projects for Magic-League that I would like to do. Personally I would prefer to do it in Java over C because I really don't like Winblows, but that of course will depend on whether anyone wants to aid in the project and what the strengths of the coders are.
Kuberr
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a programmer's deadline is always "next month".

Apart form that, I didn't know magic league had a "coding program list" of things that need to be made. what else is on the list?

Also, who is working on OPT now?
ant900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to make a new mtg online app, but sadly my networking skills are not the best Sad

Quote:
Personally I would prefer to do it in Java over C because I really don't like Winblows, but that of course will depend on whether anyone wants to aid in the project and what the strengths of the coders are.

Java is a slow pos, and just because mws is in C/C++ doesn't make it windows specific, in fact C/C++ is pretty portable. The only reason why mws is windows only (that i know of) is because it uses GDI+ to render everything which is a windows only api. If the people who make mws decided to change the rendering api to something multiplatform (such as OpenGL) then they would be able to run on other OSs such as linux and OpenGL

Kuberr wrote:
Also, who is working on OPT now?

isn't it the same guy it always has been?
alvaro202

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't believe someone can make the correct statement that C++ is very portable (as it has programmed much of all applications across linux and windows) and then turn around and actually say that C++ is better than java because java is slow as shit.

Really? That's such a 1999 comment. Java is not only capable of being compiled and run inside of a virtual machine on any operating system, but it is also PERFECTLY fast enough to do the basic level of reasoning and computation that would be required to program a new MWS.

If you were able to make the application web based (which is very easy to do with java) You could also create a online database with magic cards/pictures to link to the web application. This database can either use its own php code / javascript code to create decks, or it could be integrated into the actual java web app. In either case the web app could access the database and load a deck list up and easily post that data to arrays or vectors or even vectors of card objects. It would even be able to load the card pictures off of the database faster than any user would be able to notice.

I'm sorry I just don't get how people can still say java is slow...
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuberr: The list is my own. The draft client is also on there, although I have put it to the side for the moment sincce OPT is close to a 1.00 release. However, if an update does not come soon I may begin on it.

As for the C v Java debate, it is indeed API dependent. I don't agree with the Java being a slow POS as has already been said - there is no impact on speed with the input we will be creating. I don't think we need to argue the merits of various languages either, since if I was doing this solo i'd be running it in Delphi Razz

As for the web base, one of my friends had begun coding on it at one point but has since stopped the project. I would prefer to make it an application for portability purposes and so we can expand on features at will.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you mean by 1.00? And if OPT reaches that, will it replace MWS for games in magic-league?
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.00 is considered a full release of software that functions more or less fully without any errors that would cause it to crash. If OPT does reach this point and things such as the interface are cleaned up, then my belief is that Magic-League will begin to make use of it (note that we no longer officially support any play applications)
ant900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alvaro202 wrote:
I really can't believe someone can make the correct statement that C++ is very portable (as it has programmed much of all applications across linux and windows) and then turn around and actually say that C++ is better than java because java is slow as shit.

Really? That's such a 1999 comment. Java is not only capable of being compiled and run inside of a virtual machine on any operating system, but it is also PERFECTLY fast enough to do the basic level of reasoning and computation that would be required to program a new MWS.

The simple fact that java runs on a virtual machine makes it inherently slow. Now admittedly doing simple calculations that something like mws requires wouldn't slow java much (if at all). However java just isn't the correct environment to run a magic program on. There has to be a reason why no one has made a successful one yet Smile

Quote:
As for the C v Java debate, it is indeed API dependent. I don't agree with the Java being a slow POS as has already been said - there is no impact on speed with the input we will be creating. I don't think we need to argue the merits of various languages either, since if I was doing this solo i'd be running it in Delphi

lol Smile
Well IIRC that is what Apprentice was programmed in
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fully aware of the issues Java has in terms of speed Razz As for why nobody's made a fully functioning version yet...OPT has interface issues (and i believe is still being developed), MWS has unofficially been abandoned, and Apprentice 2.0 has officially been abandoned (although it has also been moved to open source, so it's also a possibility to develop this). Apprentice was originally coded in Delphi yes Razz Netdraft is too I believe.
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because i know nothing coding, i culdn;t add to this discussion i started

I agree with the program not being an online base. How would someone work on a deck if they had no connection to the internet?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1