Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rating requirements in limited minis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments
weisszuviel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Rating requirements in limited minis Reply with quote

Hi,

Obviously luck is a part of every sealed Deck tourney and there is allways the chance to lose against a low rated players because of bad lucks with cards.
However limiting a sealed deck Mini to 1700+ is the wrong way to go because of multiple reasons.

-You punish players for continue playing in limited events even if they know that they will probably lose round 2 of a tourney.
-You abuse the rating system because it wasn't designed with limits like that. It's like changing the base Rating from 1600 to 1700 for players participating.
-It's bad for new players or players returning to the league.

As far as i can see there was only 1 limited with 1700+ in the last few weeks. So it's not a big problem.
However it would be sad if there are more tourneys like that in the future.
brimstone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rating requirements in limited minis Reply with quote

weisszuviel wrote:
Hi,

Obviously luck is a part of every sealed Deck tourney and there is allways the chance to lose against a low rated players because of bad lucks with cards.
However limiting a sealed deck Mini to 1700+ is the wrong way to go because of multiple reasons.

-You punish players for continue playing in limited events even if they know that they will probably lose round 2 of a tourney.
-You abuse the rating system because it wasn't designed with limits like that. It's like changing the base Rating from 1600 to 1700 for players participating.

As far as i can see there was only 1 limited with 1700+ in the last few weeks. So it's not a big problem.

mimimimimimimimi
weisszuviel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:
making a new account for this post adds credibility

I made this new account 2? days ago to post about something i encountered today.
Sounds interesting.

If you want to make unfounded allegations...don't. If you think there is foul play afoot, talk to staff.
Aion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tc doesn't want to play with bad players they'll make the mini how they want. =/

It's their right
weisszuviel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weisszuviel wrote:

If you want to make unfounded allegations...don't. If you think there is foul play afoot, talk to staff.

I didn't make any unfounded allegations.
You can read why i'am not happy with this sort of tournament in my opening post.

Of course it's their right to make tourneys as they like, as is mine to respond here.

Posts like "mimimimimi" aren't constructive by the way, thank you for deleting one of them.
ChiDoRiE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on topic

judges can make whatever minis they want..if they make it 1700+ it's so they can play with better players. You don't get above 1700 by sucking, even if rating isn't a perfect scale of ur skill it is at least partly related
gor187

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok personally i think limiting players that can play in tourneys are stupid you guys get to run tournys when you want them often telling your teamates long before the thing even shows in mirc...but then you want to limit other players from joining also? fine but start running more minnis were people that dosent have 1700 rateing can play or make it so judges arnt on teams..
MetalDuck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit bitching and get your rating high enough. They ARE judges because they understood the rules better, passed the test, and don't whine. They are not paid for what they do, and if a mini is THAT important to you, I wouldn't go around bashing the people who fucking make them. THat's asinine.
LexW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People make 1700 + so they can test versus better players. Especially in constructed, it weeds out the bad decks.
gor187

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol when everyone can jus go copy a deck from an number f pas tourneys there isn really any bad decks around
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating requirements in limited minis Reply with quote

weisszuviel wrote:
Hi,

I don't understand why you think it is a bad thing. Sometimes people want to play against better opponents, so setting a rating limit is the best way to do this.

Its not a punishment, it actually doesn't effect those under 1600 so I don't understand the complaint.
snoopster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating requirements in limited minis Reply with quote

making 1700+ minis is a common dirty maneuver that effectively flips off all 1700- players and is known as "hacking"
weisszuviel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:

if you're going to argue with yourself you're making a lot of people happy with their decision to exclude "special" people

I'am not arguing with myself i'am arguing with the nice admin who changed my post, deleted a line and accused me of something i havn't done.

Back to topic.

Obviously there is a difference between constructed and limited. Skill is the most important part in constructed and you'll win 9 out of 10 games against worse players. In limited, especially sealed skill isn't enough, you won't win against medicore players if your deck is worse than theirs, even if you are rated +100 .

SugarShark wrote:

maybe you should deposit something into a community before asking for a withdrawal

Right now i can't take the judge test because there simply is none to take.
weisszuviel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you like to provoke.

Problem is, there a better ways to provoke someone than making a fool of yourself.

Better luck next time.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.

You know that table of dudes you always see drafting at every pre-release and PTQ you go to? The ones that don't seem to be in any tournament?

Yea, they all have 1900+ IRL limited ratings and they play for money. They don't want to play with you because you are bad.

Getting 1700 on magic league takes like 6 matches in a trial. It's not exactly a high threshold.

Also, I've never seen a rating restricted mini, ever.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2