Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M10 Limited Card Rankings

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited

What is the best common in the set?
Lightning Bolt
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Doom Blade
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Pacifism
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Centaur Courser
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

ChuckNorris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: M10 Limited Card Rankings Reply with quote

So GP Boston is around the corner and I want to approach it competently. I haven't had enough time to practice as I would have liked, so this is sort of mental masturbation for me. Anybody who's interested in making it a circle-jerk is free to join in.

Blue:
1. Snapping Drake
2. Merfolk Looter
3. Ice Cage
4. Illusory Servant
5. Wind Drake
6. Divination
7. Essence Scatter

Blue is overall kind of weak to me. All of its best aggressive creatures cost 3 mana. I am a fan of Ice Cage and Illusory Servant, not everyone agrees with me though, I know.

Black:
1. Doom Blade
2. Assassinate
3. Tendrils of Corruption
4. Dread Warlock
5. Gravedigger
6. Warpath Ghoul
7. Sign in Blood
8. Vampire Aristocrat

Black is a very strong color in this format. It has by far the best and deepest suite of common removal spells. It suffers from the same problem as blue does in that most of its aggressive creatures are 3-drops, but these same cards are all very good. Sign in Blood is an interesting card that I had a difficult time ranking. I'm interested to hear what other people have to say about it.

Red:
1. Lightning Bolt
2. Seismic Assault
3. Viashino Spearhunter
4. Sparkmage Apprentice
5. Fiery Hellhound
6. Canyon Minotaur
7. Lightning Elemental

I think red is easily the worst color in this set. Lightning Bolt is awesome, and other than that it rapidly gets mediocre. Its redeeming value is its solid uncommons, but thats not what we're discussing here. I almost feel as if spots 5-7 are interchangeable.

Green
1. Centaur Courser
2. Giant Spider
3. Stampeding Rhino
4. Borderland Ranger
5. Entangling Vines
6. Craw Wurm
7. Giant Growth

Green is very very good, easily in the discussion for best color in M10. Of course it lacks removal for the most part (though Wizards was nice and gave it Dehydration!), but it makes up for it with a host of awesome creatures. It is a qualitatively very deep color.

White.
1. Pacifism
2. Blinding Mage
3. Stormfront Pegasus
4. Divine Judgement
5. Veteran Swordsmith
6. Veteran Armorsmith
7. Razorfoot Griffin

White is so good. It has quality removal, aggressive creatures, guys with evasion, combat tricks, everything. I think it just barely edges green out for best color in the set. Its rares and uncommons are both well above-average.

So those are my color rankings. There are additional issues with this set though that I would like to address, such as the Pacifism vs. Doom Blade debate, which comes up often because I think they're in the same print run. I come down firmly on the side of Pacifism because white is awesome and 1/5 of the format isn't immune to it. I can certainly see how some would like Doom Blade over Pacifism since it deals with utility creatures better and having the guy simply be gone is nice.

So in conclusion, I'm just trying to get some opinions from the Magic-League community about this limited format. I hope to day 2 the GP so having a good command of the draft theory would be beneficial. If anyone has anything to offer, feel free. Thanks.
Jacois

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue has plenty of good flyers and Alluring Siren is really cool. Alluring Siren is like a Blinding mage without mana in it's activation cost. It's good for killing off little dudes too.

Unsummon is superb too, for saving a creature from a Doom Blade or bouncing a jerk after your opponent uses a combat trick.

Cancel and Negate are also 2 of the only (and best) ways to stop Overrun.

I think U is underrated.
ChuckNorris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Blue has plenty of good flyers and Alluring Siren is really cool. Alluring Siren is like a Blinding mage without mana in it's activation cost. It's good for killing off little dudes too.

Unsummon is superb too, for saving a creature from a Doom Blade or bouncing a jerk after your opponent uses a combat trick.

Cancel and Negate are also 2 of the only (and best) ways to stop Overrun.

I think U is underrated.

I actually really do like blue. Its probably the most fun color to play in this format. That said, its creatures just don't inspire much fear, given that green has two common ways to shut air attacks down and white has a common 2/2 first strike flyer. Not saying they aren't objectively good, because they certainly are.

Negate and Cancel you're right about, I'm not ashamed to put either into a deck. Unsummon I kind of overlooked, but its not so good anymore with the loss of damage-on-the stack.
alvaro202

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill pull illusionary servants and cancels out of a draft pack 1st pick all day long. Ice Cage as a definant second, fat beats in any color as a 3rd.
ChuckNorris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think that cancel is worth being pick one pack one.
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of blue, mostly because I like messing up opponents' strategies, and no other color can put a stop to so many strategies as Blue, master of Counterspells.

You're very right in that Blue's creatures just don't inspire fear. If you're drafting Blue, unless you get Lucky and pull a Merfolk Sovereign and plenty of Merfolk to back him up, you almost have to plan on decking your opponent. For this reason, Tome Scour is my favorite Blue Common. I won't ALWAYS pull it, but it's definitely high on the list. Essence Scatter is also very high, because it usually buys you the time to deck someone.

The only real exception to Blue's non-scary creatures is the Serpent of the Endless Sea. True, he can't attack unless your opponent plays Blue as well, BUT, there just so happens to be a convenient Common for getting around that. (Convincing Mirage) Generally speaking, if I see alot of Blue cards passed, and I'm already in Blue, I'll check if I can pick up enough of these two Commons to bust up an opponent's creatures.

I will agree with you that Green and White are both Extremely strong in this format. I find that Black is an oddly effective second color, purely for its sheer volume of Removal.

I will also agree that practically the only way to make Red work is to pull Loooooots Of Lightning Bolts and Lava Axes. (Though oddly I've seen alot of players around me winning by drafting Red. Usually backed by White.)

Disclaimer: I've not yet won a draft tournament. xD
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Cage is just a terrible card.
AnnulVapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best common in the set is Blinding Mage.
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have drafted Wr with success... all of my decks that have been good have been base W or G
nada3030

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Blinding Mage.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1