Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RW angel midrange

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Zoom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: RW angel midrange Reply with quote

I put this together wanting to try out some of the new m10 shinyness. It has been playing very well, and is pretty fun. The angels are amazing. I started off playing fewer copies of each, but upped them after winning almost every game where they're not immediately killed. Baneslayer Angel will be taking a lot of lunch money in the coming year. She is the best non-tricky, brawling creature to see print for a while. Guardian Seraph can swing a board back in your favor, and is unfair in multiples. The phoenix is fun, and good in attrition situations. I could see cutting one for land 25. Why can't I play 24.5 lands Sad

// Lands
4 Rugged Prairie
8 Mountain (1)
8 Plains (1)
4 Jungle Shrine

// Creatures
4 Baneslayer Angel
2 Magma Phoenix
4 Guardian Seraph
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Kitchen Finks

// Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Path to Exile
4 Volcanic Fallout
2 Banefire

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Banefire
SB: 3 Guttural Response
SB: 3 Hallowed Burial
SB: 4 Pithing Needle
SB: 4 Firespout

I need help with the sideboard. I don't like it at all, and I haven't devoted much time to it.
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's martial coup? great card in a control-esque deck
Tonya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably play Ajani Vengeant instead of something. Probably take out the O-Rings or something. I'm assuming this is casual, in which case it is a pretty solid deck for that kind of game. Cards like Cloudgoat Ranger, Spectral Procession and Windbrisk Heights help any deck with a mainly white mana base; or even Captain of the Watch if you want to play more M10 stuff.

Looking over the list again, I'd probably cut the Banefires and Magma Phoenix for Ajani Vengeant or some form of planeswalkers as they are all really good.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I like the deck concept and think your execution is pretty resonable. It is a little to removal heavy for a deck that is not really going to generate card advantage vs control. In particular the o-rings seem a poor choice as you have burn to deal with most Pw's anyway, ajani venegant is a definate good addition, as control really stuggles vs it. I imagine you already crush aggro bolt path and fallout is ample removal.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use 4 Banefires? I mean, when exactly is it bad?
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about your list some more and the problems I could see it having was that stumbling on mana is very bad for it, I think knight of the white orchard would be a great addition, as you have a lot of good spells to ramp into along with 2-3 ajani added maybe 2 as you are tight on space.

I think a transfomational sb focused on turning the control match ups in your favour maybe a good idea. The best way I can think of doing this is ld with a fullset of fumilator mages, maybe poision the well and some incendary commands.

I also think magama sphinx is overkill vs aggro and to slow to be effective vs all the control decks in the format which will just bury you in a sea of card advantage. Prob keeping guttural response or firespout depending on what you think is a bigger problem.

So I think what i would do

-2 magma phonix
-4 oblivion ring

+4 knight of the white orchard
+2 ajani venegant

Then sb

4 fumilator mage
4 poision the well
3 incendary command
1 banefire
3 sprout or g response
Zapgaze
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...what people are basically suggesting is, "play Boat Brew":/

The deck is different, and isn't Boat Brew, and although I like some of the suggestions here, some other just ruin the basic idea of the deck.

As for my suggestion, I think you SHOULD play Ajani, and I also think you should try to fit in one or two Battlegrace Angel:)
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look on the deck as an evolution of boat brew it is clearly different, in it does not play heights procession or lark, seige gang but instead opts for bigger creatures and fallout. It should not, not play cards just because boat brew plays them if it makes sense play it.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
I look on the deck as an evolution of boat brew it is clearly different, in it does not play heights procession or lark, seige gang but instead opts for bigger creatures and fallout. It should not, not play cards just because boat brew plays them if it makes sense play it.

Agreed.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Trotsky1 wrote:

Agreed.

We finally agree on something lol
Zoom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the high quality input Trotsky. I'll try it out after work. I definitely am not trying to make boat brew II here. It's more like The Rock rotated by 72 degrees clockwise.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1