Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBC

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: MBC Reply with quote

MBC control seems to have most of the tools to be competitive. After semi-extensive testing, I realized that the most obv reasons to play Mono black (tendrils, Consume Spirit and corrupt) were fucking awful cards if you don't have access to Tolaria West, Urborg and blue.

What makes Tendrils, Consume Spirit and Corrupt good is the real question. The answer, imo, is gaining life and dealing damage.... Seems pretty obv, doesn't it? What else in T2 gains you life and deals damage? Lots of things, but none more efficiently, effectively and "blow-outing"ly as everyone's favourite sorcery, Cruel Ultimatum.

Ofc Cruel is hard to play in a MBC deck. And playing Cruel involves adding U and R, which effectively make the triple trio of crappy damage/life dealers/gainers obsolete.... Fine. They sucked anyways. So what's the best way to add U and R without taking away from the spirit of MBC? I think I found the way, but I'm always open for suggestions.

Here's my current list. And it's top secret, so don't tell anybody. Wink

// Lands
16 [LRW] Swamp (2)
4 [SHM] Graven Cairns
4 [SHM] Sunken Ruins

// Creatures
4 [SHM] Demigod of Revenge
2 [LRW] Liliana Vess
3 [CFX] Nyxathid
3 [EVE] Divinity of Pride
3 [M10] Child of Night
2 [LRW] Marsh Flitter

// Spells
4 [M10] Sign in Blood
4 [M10] Duress
3 [ALA] Cruel Ultimatum
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [EVE] Unmake

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ALA] Infest
SB: 3 [M10] Deathmark
SB: 2 [M10] Black Knight
SB: 2 [M10] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [CFX] Scepter of Fugue
SB: 2 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus

With 16 basic swamps I will have little trouble casting a first turn Duress or Thoughtseize. After that the Graven Cairns and Sunken Ruins are no more awkward than if they were basic swamps.

By the time you reach the 7 land mark with this deck, you will hopefully have a Cairns AND a Ruins for Cruel. Thought this isn't 100%, it's 80%, which is good enough. I made up the 80% off the top of my head with the knowledge that I am playing Sign in Blood and it's happened most every time.

Child of Night makes up for the life gain we lose without the 3 crappy instant/sorceries, as well as providing a cheap offense/defense. Unmake is an underused and apparently forgotten Path to exile that doesn't give your opponent an extra land. My first and 2nd turns are clogged with Duress/sieze and blood/Child that 3 mana is reasonable as it only competes with a 3 of Nyxthalid (which is early game against aggro, and later against control as a finisher).

2 Marsh Flitters fill the 4 slot as extra blockage against aggro, though the 4th turn can easily be cluttered with the multitude of 1 and 2cc spells.

turn 5 is where the deck gets nasty, as it can lay a Liliana (which wrecks control and took over the Scepter of Fugue spot), demigod of revenge (which can trounce control or a controlled aggro) and Divinity of Pride, which plays as a slow Battlegrace or a HUGE Baneslayer.

The deck continues playing threats, removal and stipping the opponents hand of relevant cards (ie counters) until it either wins with a lucky demi draw or just cast's Cruel for a (cruel?) 10 for 1.

The sideboard is pretty random but effective as it attacks multiple Tier 1 strategies as well as random Tier 2 strategies (ie the relic's and needles).

It's a powerful deck with which I have won multiple mini's and trounced numerous unsuspecting MWSPlayers (nothing to brag about, I'm just sayin')

This is MBC as it was meant to played without the restrictions of using crappy subpar cards that are ONLY decent in MBC.

What do you think?

Last edited by Jacois on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love it... I have been wanting to throw MBC back together as of M10 but have not gotten to get around to it yet, so I will definitely be throwing this piece together and testing it out some.. have always been a big fan of MBC personally
Jag4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have similar ideas to a version I tested, although I went down the tendrils/corrupt path...I would add gargoyle castle to help against pro-black (Stag, collusus) and Dragon's claws in the sb against red as they have no way of getting rid of them

MD Stillmoon Cavalier is reasonable in current meta

Jag
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to run more land probably atleast 26 because your curve is very high, also some borderposts would be good, as they help you more consistantly be able to cast cruel plus allow you to ramp into your many 5 drops turn 4.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
You need to run more land probably atleast 26 because your curve is very high, also some borderposts would be good, as they help you more consistantly be able to cast cruel plus allow you to ramp into your many 5 drops turn 4.

Yeah maybe. The deck is hardly perfect. The sign in Bloods seem to smooth out the land drops, and the cruel is usually castable by the time you reach 7 mana. You would need dubs of any one border post to cast cruel off it, unless you had the corresponding Hybrid, in which case you wouldn't need the post. So unless you want to run 4 of each post, it's pretty pointless as the only U or R spell is the Cruel.

Play a couple test games (instead of just guessing off a list) and judge how often you can't cast cruel when you have 7 mana.
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could see adding border posts + grixis tri tap

but your basics might take too much of a hit to be able to use the posts effectivley
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need Infest and you bust vs. Stag/Coloss/Stillmoon/Oversoul.
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duodax wrote:

L2Read SB
Ggerg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onecleanceli wrote:
Duodax wrote:

L2Read SB

oh so you HAVE Infest, and you loose vs. stag/colossus/stillmoon/oversoul.
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L2know Meta consisting of Kithkins and Elfballs.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L2know Duodax is a fucking idiot Smile
Aari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

child of night and marsh flitter dont fit here; as well as lily vess imho - you have very little removal for MBC - try tendrils, Black command or even doom blade

Stillmoon is a must in current meta
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Trotsky1 wrote:

Yeah maybe. The deck is hardly perfect. The sign in Bloods seem to smooth out the land drops, and the cruel is usually castable by the time you reach 7 mana. You would need dubs of any one border post to cast cruel off it, unless you had the corresponding Hybrid, in which case you wouldn't need the post. So unless you want to run 4 of each post, it's pretty pointless as the only U or R spell is the Cruel.

Play a couple test games (instead of just guessing off a list) and judge how often you can't cast cruel when you have 7 mana.

I've run many many decks playing cruel through out block season and I know with out a shadow of a doubt you can not play it in a 24 land deck. I was running 28 lands plus esper charm in the end at the start of block season on modo to compenstae for it and 4 of every tri-land to allow me to consistantly cast it, its going to be not having enough lands to cast it on time which is more your problem than not having the right mana.

The main advantage is the ramp, not the fixing in the case of the posts thats just a bonus, allowing you to do stuff like turn 1 thoughseize, turn 2 duress seize or child of the night, 3rd turn post 4th demigod safe in the knowledge you have stripped any answer your opponet has for your fatty from his hand. Can probably follow up with another and are 2 mana away from a back breaking cruel.

The ramp may not be necessary but more lands are, your current list does not ever want to miss a land drop until atleast turn 5, you have 9 5 mana spells your pretty much always going to have one turn 5.

The card draw helps with not missing land drops but alot of decks will not allow you the luxury of the time, to cast it, there will just be better things you could do with your mana to stay in the game.

Also cruel deals with all the creatures just mentioned, if you can keep the board clean and thoughtseize leaves your opponent needing to peel them.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what part of block did you not understand? Flood was still less of an issue with the deck than missing land drops, what I found was simply if the deck did not miss a land drop until turn 6 it almost always won 28 lands is quite common in control decks.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBring3r wrote:
28 lands? LOL

Might as well put more spells with Retrace, cos you're gonna flood like no tomorrow.

Decks with 8+ draw spells and several draw engines do not flood.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3