Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACR Draft #4

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
DragonBuster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: ACR Draft #4 Reply with quote

Given the...lackluster draft I did last time, I thought it in my favor to try to have another go at it. I've noticed that in drafting, I'm absolutely *horrible* at reading and giving signals, which is why I think I'm drafting so mediocre- to average-level. If anyone has any tips on this when they're giving advice on this deck, please feel free to give some my way - I need it badly.

Anyways, on with the draft. Not as happy with the final outcome of the deck as I'd have liked, but it did alright. 2-1-1 final record.

--ALA--

P1P1:

Minion Reflector
Bull Cerodon <---
Necrogenesis
Thunder-Thrash Elder
Etherium Sculptor
Blightning
Rakeclaw Gargantuan
Akrasan Squire
Savage Hunger
Druid of the Anima
Magma Spray
Cathartic Adept
Relic of Progenitus
Forest
Relict of Progenitus (Foil)

All humor on the double relic aside, this pack's got some incredible picks. Bull Cerodon, Necrogensis, and Magma Spray are all incredible cards to have, as is Akrasan Squire. The real choice comes between the Cerodon and Magma Spray though, and in the end I'm gonna have to go with the "pseudo-"bomb with the Bull Cerodon.

P1P2:

Covenant of Minds
Etherium Astrolabe
Thoughtcutter Agent
Volcanic Submersion
Blister Beetle
Resounding Roar
Sigil Blessing
Windwright Mage
Resounding Wave
Agony Warp
Savage Hunger
Magma Spray <---
Esper Panorama
Swamp

Removal is always good, esp. in color.

P1P3:

Death Baron
Corpse Connoisseur
Blister Beetle <---
Resounding Roar
Spell Snip
Bloodthorn Taunter
Blightning
Yoked Plowbeast
Carrion Thrash
Guardians of Akrasa
Deft Duelist
Tortoise Formation
Plains

At first, I thought picking the Roar might be a more stable pick, esp. going Naya, but since I'm still pretty early and mainly red, there's still every opportunity to go Jund and splash Cerodon. The removal/body seemed the best pick here over Carrion Thrash, since he can get rid of enough creatures in Limited to make it worth my while.

P1P4:

Filigree Sages
Blister Beetle <---
Resounding Roar
Courier's Capsule
Dreg Weaver
Obelisk of Esper
Cloudheath Drake
Windwright Mage
Resounding Wave
Jhessian Lookout
Cavern Thoctar
Forest

The only choice I see here for me is the beetle or Cavern Thoctar; I thought the removal/body was still the best choice here. Could this be wrong?

P1P5:

Rockcaster Platoon
Scourge Devil
Blister Beetle
Sigil Blessing
Coma Veil
Glaze Fiend
Ridge Rannet
Carrion Thrash
Mosstodon <---
Relic of Progenitus
Swamp

A third Blister Beetle seems kind of over the top; being able to give at least some of my creatures trample seems like better synergy for my deck.

P1P6:

Brilliant Ultimatum
Tidehollow Sculler
Sigil Blessing
Obelisk of Esper
Steward of Valeron
Naya Panorama <---
Sight-Casted Sorcerer
Jungle Weaver
Jhessian Lookout
Swamp

The fixing seems good; gives me a good possibility of going Jund and splashing for Cerodon.

P1P7:

Vicious Shadows
Behemoth's Herald
Mighty Emergence
Volcanic Submersion
Kederekt Creeper <---
Obelisk of Bant
Soul's Might
Shore Snapper
Island

Seeing a lot of black and red go around; if someone's going Grixis, I figured I might as well hate the only card worth doing so.

P1P8:

Grixis Battlemage <---
Angelsong
Onyx Goblet
Cancel
Call to Heel
Kederekt Creeper
Dispeller's Capsule
Plains

Same thing. Figured the battlemage was better than the creeper, though.

P1P9:

Minion Reflector <---
Etherium Sculptor
Savage Hunger
Cathartic Adept
Relic of Progenitus
Forest
Relic of Progenitus (Foil)

Never really had much luck with playing the reflector, but who knows. The pack's junk anyways, why not?

P1P10:

Etherium Astrolabe
Thoughtcutter Agent
Volcanic Submersion
Windwright Mage <---
Savage Hunger
Swamp

Why does it seem like I'm hating more than I'm grabbing playables?

P1P11:

Spell Snip
Bloodthorn Taunter
Yoked Plowbeast <---
Tortoise Formation
Plains

P1P12:

Dreg Weaver
Windwright Mage <---
Jhessian Lookout
Forest

Double Mages too late for normal picks...is no one going Esper?

P1P13:

Coma Veil
Glaze Fiend <---
Swamp

P1P14:

Brilliant Ultimatum <---
Swamp

P1P15:

Island

--CON--

P2P1:

Font of Mythos
Viashino Slaughtermaster <---
Spore Burst
Dreadwing
Wretched Banquet
Faerie Mechanist
Maniacal Rage
Asha's Favor
Nacatl Outlander
Valeron Outlander
Esper Cormorants
Traumatic Visions
Matca Rioters
Island
Wretched Banquet (Foil)

Again, I absolutely drop dead hate taking Wretched Banquets for removal. Viashino is also a very solid 2 drop that'll be able to hold is own pretty well, esp. since I'm pretty solid in going Jund right now. Plus, with all the black that's been wheeling around, I'm hopefully reading the signals right by assuming at least one will wheel back around.

P2P2:

Viashino Slaughtermaster
Dreadwing
View from Above
Parasitic Strix
Exploding Borders
Asha's Favor
Aven Trailblazer
Frontline Sage
Valeron Outlander
Fiery Fall
Wild Leotau
Beacon Behemoth
Armillary Sphere <---
Island

I've never been an expert on the cycle fixers vs. the Armillary, but it seems like Armillary might be slightly better? I have a lot of solid picks in this pack, though - Viashino, Leotau, Fiery Fall and Armillary are all good picks for me. Armillary lets me grab two colors if I need it, though, since I'm running four. I'm gonna stick with this.

P2P3:

Dragonsoul Knight
Dreadwing
Exploding Borders <---
Faerie Mechanist
Maniacal Rage
Zombie Outlander
Toxic Iguanar
Aven Trailblazer
Grixis Illusionist
Kranioceros
Brackwater Elemental
Plains
Wandering Goblin

More fixing seems good, esp. when it can burn for 4 to the dome and accelerate into something bigger.

P2P4:

Font of Mythos
Hellkite Hatchling
Rotting Rats
Exploding Borders
Mana Cylix
Wretched Banquet
Asha's Favor
Zombie Outlander
Aven Squire
Beacon Behemoth
Forest
Pestilent Kathari (Foil) <---

A second borders seems over the top; I'll take the first strike/deathtouch body that can stop fliers.

P2P5:

Valiant Guard
Nacatl Savage
Worldly Counsel
Vectis Agents
Faerie Mechanist
Maniacal Rage
Kranioceros
Goblin Outlander <---
Beacon Behemoth
Brackwater Elemental
Swamp

2/2 pro bear is good! Probably the best pick for me out of the pack.

P2P6:

Elder Mastery
Constricting Tendrils
Molten Frame
Worldly Counsel
Vectis Agents
Wretched Banquet <---
Maniacal Rage
Toxic Iguanar
Mountain
Toxic Iguanar (Foil)

Might as well take the removal that I hate oh so much.

P2P7:

Kederekt Parasite <---
View From Above
Infectious Horror
Molten Frame
Rotting Rats
Maniacal Rage
Grixis Illusionist
Court Homunculus
Plains

Putting my opponent on a clock seems good?

P2P8:

Fusion Elemental
Controlled Instincts
Molten Frame
Rotting Rats
Asha's Favor
Sylvan Bounty <---
Goblin Outlander
Plains

One more fixing couldn't hurt.

P2P9:

Font of Mythos
Dreadwing
Maniacal Rage
Asha's Favor
Nacatl Outlander <---
Traumatic Visions
Island

Another pro bear.

P2P10:

Dreadwing
View from Above
Asha's Favor
Frontline Sage
Valeron Outlander <---
Island

Hate the pro bear that stops a lot of my creatures!

P2P11:

Maniacal Rage
Toxic Iguanar
Grixis Illusionist
Plains
Wandering Goblins <---

I don't really have a lot of green permanents to activate the Iguanar, esp. since I seem to be running primarly RB, but since I'm definitely four colors the Goblins might do well for me.

P2P12:

Font of Mythos
Mana Cylix <---
Asha's Favor
Forest

P2P13:

Valiant Guard
Maniacal Rage <---
Swamp

P2P14:

Toxic Iguanar <---
Mountain

P2P15:

Plains

--ARB--

Lightning Reaver <---
Mask of Riddles
Skyclaw Thrash
Sanity Gnawers
Captured Sunlight
Esper Sojourners
Rhox Brute
Jund Hackblade
Singe-Mind Ogre
Firewild Borderpost
Monstrous Carabid
Gorger Wurm
Demonic Dread
Breath of Malfegor
Mountain

Can't I just keep this pack? Please? Anyways, the hackblade's definitely a great pick, but Lightning Reaver is just too good to pass up, esp. since black and artifacts have been passed around like crazy this draft. He should get some damage through easily.

P3P2:

Vithian Renegades
Mage Slayer
Dragon Appeasement
Qasali Pridemage
Deny Reality
Colossal Might
Jund Sojourners
Sigiled Behemoth
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Monstrous Carabid
Stormcaller's Boon
Sangrite Backlash <---
Wildfield Borderpost
Mountain

Removal seems good. Got enough fixing, so I don't need the borderpost so highly.

P3P3:

Giant Ambush Beetle
Morbid Bloom
Ethersworn Shieldmage
Mistvein Borderpost
Jund Sojourners <---
Fieldmist Borderpost
Crystallization
Brainbite
Valley Rannet
Monstrous Carabid
Vedalken Ghoul
Leonin Armorguard
Mountain

Cycling, burn, and/or creature body? Sure, I'll take it. only other card worth my time is the ambush beetle, but the extra "burn" seems higher priority.

P3P4:

Undbender Tine
Morbid Bloom
Naya Sojourners
Grixis Sojourners
Captured Sunlight
Mistvein Borderpost
Vectis Dominator
Esper Stormblade
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Brainbite
Wildfield Borderpost <---
Swamp

Fixing seems about the only choice in the pack besides the Nayan cycler, and I don't really see the need to include him in the splash.

P3P5:

Sages of the Anima
Etherwrought Page
Winged Coatl
Monstrous Carabid
Sanctum Plowbeast
Jhessian Zombies
Demonic Dread
Kathari Bomber
Jund Sojourners <---
Bant Sojourners
Island

More cycle/burn/creature options!

P3P6:

Soulquake
Drastic Revelation
Sanity Gnawers
Esper Sojourners
Stormcaller's Boon
Winged Coatl
Jhessian Zombies
Brainbite
Monstrous Carabid <---
Mountain

Beef for a deck that doesn't have much.

P3P7:

Wargate
Flurry of Wings
Naya Sojourners
Firewild Borderpost
Monstrous Carabid <---
Stormcaller's Boon
Violent Outburst
Wildfield Borderpost
Forest

Same reason. I've got enough fixing.

P3P8:

Etherwrought Page
Naya Sojourners
Sanctum Plowbeast
Magefire Wings
Etherium Abomination
Demonic Dread
Trace of Abundance <---
Mountain

...but not enough, it seems, when there's nothing else in the pack.

P3P9:

Sanity Gnawers
Captured Sunlight
Esper Sojourners
Singe-Mind Ogre <---
Demonic Dread
Breath of Malfegor

I'll happily take the four drop. My deck doesn't have many of 'em.

P3P10:

Dragon Appeasement
Sigiled Behemoth
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Monstrous Carabid <---
Stormcaller's Boon
Mountain

I don't like picking three of these guys, but if my deck fleshes out pretty aggro-intensive, it might work out for me. Doubt I'll play a third though.

P3P11:

Morbid Bloom
Brainbite
Monstrous Carabid <---
Vedalken Ghoul
Mountain

...Unless I get four?

P3P12:

Unbender Tine
Vectis Dominator <---
Brainbite
Swamp

P3P13:

Etherwrought Page <---
Demonic Dread
Island

P3P14:

Drastic Revelation <---
Mountain

P3P15:

Forest

-- ------------

Final deck:

1 Kederekt Parasite
1 Wretched Banquet
1 Magma Spray
2 Blister Beetle
1 Viashino Slaughtermaster
1 Armillary Sphere
1 Goblin Outlander
1 Sangrite Backlash
1 Pestilent Kathari
1 Wandering Goblins
2 Jund Sojourners
1 Exploding Borders
1 Singe-Mind Ogre
1 Lightning Reaver
3 Monstrous Carabid
1 Sylvan Bounty
1 Bull Cerodon

1 Wildfield Borderpost
1 Naya Panorama
5 Swamps
5 Mountains
3 Forest
2 Plains
chuey222

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While none of your picks were particularly bad, I believe you took the second best card out for you out of some of the packs. IMO, blister beetle is just alright. I think that the resounding was a better pick, and once you took the first beetle you seemed overly gun-ho on going jund splash white. These were the only two problems I had with your draft.

P.S: While reborn has made the format much faster (blades, ect.), armillary sphere is still a good margin ahead of basic landcyclers (althogh fiery fall and gleam of resistence are both really good).
Davis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think Blister Beetle is ranked higher than Roar in pick order; but lower than Blightning.

P1P5: Scourge Devil would probably be a little better than the Mosstodon here, because of it's CIP ability and Unearth.

The Cerodon is a great pick, and you can be happy with knowing that your opponents won't even get to see that one; but you either need to focus on just Naya or forget about it and stick with Jund. The first pack is a great time to think about splashing, but don't actually do it until it's obvious that you will have to in order to have a competitive deck.

P1P6: Panorama is not bad, but look! Tidehollow Sculler is here! Black is in your shard, and you're thinking of splashing white anyway right? Jungle Weaver is here too, and although it's normally not the "best" pick, it's a big body with Reach and Cycling in case you need options.

P1P7: Seems like the Creeper's 2 power is going to be a little too cute to bother you anyway. It's probably the best card in the pack, you're right, but it's still not in your colors. Volcanic Submersion might just come in useful somewhere down the line(probably not); if not as a main deck card, then a sideboard card, and it has Cycling.

P2P1: Good pick. It's either this or Macta Rioters who--if you have all four lands out-- will be a 4/4 for 2G. I guess it's just a judgment call here; not that it matters, seeing as how you didn't even put the Slaughtermaster in your deck. (In hindsight, I suppose the Rioters might have been more useful in your deck than the Monstrous Carabid.)

P2P2: Fiery Fall is my pick here, although only slightly more so than the Sphere. Preference is all that matters I think.

P2P4: Beacon Behemoth is my pick here. Seems like you haven't really picked up any heavy hitters yet; and this guy can swing and hang back to block any little guys all day long for just 1 colorless.

P2P8: Either this or another Goblin Outlander. Seems like you have plenty of fixing already; so my pick is Gob. Or you could hate draft like you were the first pack, and take the Fusion Elemental in case you suspect somebody of playing 5c (and doing so successfully).

P3P1: Good Pick.

P3P8: Okay, you've got plenty of fixing right? In your deck you didn't even use Trace of Abundance. Naya Sojurners is a good card (in limited), and since you're splashing white, I think it's the proper pick here.

P3P10: Sigiled Behemoth might be a better pick here. Could be the one blocker that saves your butt.
DragonBuster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis wrote:
I actually think Blister Beetle is ranked higher than Roar in pick order; but lower than Blightning.

P1P5: Scourge Devil would probably be a little better than the Mosstodon here, because of it's CIP ability and Unearth.

The Cerodon is a great pick, and you can be happy with knowing that your opponents won't even get to see that one; but you either need to focus on just Naya or forget about it and stick with Jund. The first pack is a great time to think about splashing, but don't actually do it until it's obvious that you will have to in order to have a competitive deck.

P1P6: Panorama is not bad, but look! Tidehollow Sculler is here! Black is in your shard, and you're thinking of splashing white anyway right? Jungle Weaver is here too, and although it's normally not the "best" pick, it's a big body with Reach and Cycling in case you need options.

P1P7: Seems like the Creeper's 2 power is going to be a little too cute to bother you anyway. It's probably the best card in the pack, you're right, but it's still not in your colors. Volcanic Submersion might just come in useful somewhere down the line(probably not); if not as a main deck card, then a sideboard card, and it has Cycling.

P2P1: Good pick. It's either this or Macta Rioters who--if you have all four lands out-- will be a 4/4 for 2G. I guess it's just a judgment call here; not that it matters, seeing as how you didn't even put the Slaughtermaster in your deck. (In hindsight, I suppose the Rioters might have been more useful in your deck than the Monstrous Carabid.)

P2P2: Fiery Fall is my pick here, although only slightly more so than the Sphere. Preference is all that matters I think.

P2P4: Beacon Behemoth is my pick here. Seems like you haven't really picked up any heavy hitters yet; and this guy can swing and hang back to block any little guys all day long for just 1 colorless.

P2P8: Either this or another Goblin Outlander. Seems like you have plenty of fixing already; so my pick is Gob. Or you could hate draft like you were the first pack, and take the Fusion Elemental in case you suspect somebody of playing 5c (and doing so successfully).

P3P1: Good Pick.

P3P8: Okay, you've got plenty of fixing right? In your deck you didn't even use Trace of Abundance. Naya Sojurners is a good card (in limited), and since you're splashing white, I think it's the proper pick here.

P3P10: Sigiled Behemoth might be a better pick here. Could be the one blocker that saves your butt.

Probably right about Scourge Devil, should've taken that, and I did put the Slaughtermaster in my deck for future reference. I don't see why you recommended Tidehollow Sculler (which I'd already be splashing for, and isn't a bomb by any means) or Volcanic Submersion (which in itself isn't good, or at least I'm of the opinion so). In fact, a lot of the picks you suggested I make are in white, but white was my splash color the entire time. Jund was a more solid option for me at the time, which was why I went there; I don't see why switching to white would have helped.
Davis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end you have 5 mana fixing cards for one Bull Cerodon, or did I miss something? So each card in your deck has got a 1 in 8 chance of being a mana fixing card, and a 1 in 40 chance that it'll actually be your bomb. Not to mention a 1 in 20 chance of being a Plains that you can only truly utilize with one card in your deck.

You've already said yourself that you're lacking in 'beef' yet you take more mana base fixing (that you didn't use) over creatures that could have potentially helped you.
DragonBuster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fixing in and of itself is more to make the deck run smoothly, though, too - a lot of the creatures in this draft format (and my deck) have specific color casting costs that virtually REQUIRE you to have some sort of mana fixing.

Although I understand taking maybe the Naya Sojourners in P3P8 over Trace, constantly picking white cards with things like Sigiled Behemoth or whatnot as well would be kinda silly. 'Course, I've never had the mentality for playing a solid four- or five-color deck, so this might be my own inhibitions holding against me.
Davis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure don't know. It's never too great playing 4 colors, and you're right, Alara block really has it's way of having funky colored casting costs.

Truth be told, I never really end up picking mana base fixing; keep on putting it off and putting it off until there's nothing left, so I could learn a thing or two from you.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1