Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACR Draft #3

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
DragonBuster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: ACR Draft #3 Reply with quote

Well, been awhile since I've visited the limited format, since I've been focusing a lot on block constructed, but I thought that with my weekend being wide open, a few drafts here and there might be good.

-- ALA --

P1P1:

Ad Nauseam
Rhox Charger
Naya Charm <--
Dragon's Herald
Cloudheath Drake
Coma Veil
Esper Panorama
Courier's Capsule
Resounding Wave
Resounding Silence
Viashino Skeleton
Wild Nacatl
Tortoise Formation
Sprouting Thrinax
Swamp

Not really that fond of first-picking anything in here except the charm, although I'm cringing a little at committing to a shard already. We'll see what happens.

P1P2:

Tidehollow Sculler
Thoughtcutter Agent
Exuberant Firestoker
Spell Snip
Sanctum Gargoyle
Kederekt Creeper
Lush Growth
Wild Nacatl <--
Steward of Valeron
Savage Hunger
Tidehollow Strix
Banewasp Affliction
Jhessian Lookout
Mountain

It was either the Nacatl or the Steward for ramping; the Nacatl just happens to be a stronger creature on the board, esp. if I'm sticking to Naya.

P1P3:

Thoughtcutter Agent
Dragon's Herald
Naya Panorama <---
Agony Warp
Dregscape Zombie
Kederekt Creeper
Skeletal Kathiri
Windwright Mage
Obelisk of Bant
Bloodthorn Taunter
Dispeller's Capsule
Shadowfeed
Forest

Fixing's always good.

P1P4:

Cunning Lethemancer
Filigree Sages
Volcanic Submersion
Ridge Rannet
Viashino Skeleton
Deathgreeter
Relic of Progenitus
Obelisk of Jund
Savage Hunger
Welkin Guide <---
Vicious Shadows
Island

Ugh...horrible pack. Flyer that pumps mid- to late-game seems best.

P1P5:

Skill Borrower
Swerve
Goblin Deathraiders
Cloudheath Drake <--
Angelsong
Obelisk of Jund
Obelisk of Naya
Cancel
Undead Leotau
Soul's Grace
Island

Really? Garbage packs...taking the flyer for hate since the pack seems completely trash and obelisks aren't worth playing.

P1P6:

Protomatter Powder
Angelic Benediction <--
Courier's Capsule
Bloodthorn Taunter
Steelclad Serpent
Dregscape Zombie
Resounding Roar
Obelisk of Naya
Swamp

Maybe I'll play it. Also, I get the feeling that blue's becoming wide open here...but I'm too afraid to switch colors.

P1P7:

Death Baron
Steelclad Serpent
Resounding Wave
Yoked Plowbeast
Shadowfeed
Steward of Valeron <--
Jund Panorama
Naturalize
Plains

P1P8:

Memory Erosion
Rip-Clan Crasher <--
Bant Panorama
Savage Hunger
Goblin Mountaineer
Call to Heel
Goblin Deathraiders
Plains

P1P9:

Ad Nauseam
Dragon's Herald
Coma Veil
Resounding Wave <--
Viashino Skeleton
Tortoise Formation
Swamp

Don't really know what to pick here; hating the wave.

P1P10:

Thoughtcutter Agent
Exuberant Firestoker <--
Lush Growth
Banewasp Affliction
Jhessian Lookout
Mountain

Sure.

P1P11:

Thoughtcutter Agent
Dragon's Herald
Bloodthorn Taunter <--
Shadowfeed
Forest

P1P12:

Volcanic Submersion <--
Viashino Skeleton
Vicious Shadows
Island

Nothing but red cards, but they're all garbage, and why haven't I seen many decent red cards this draft! :<

P1P13:

Swerve
Soul's Grace <--
Island

P1P14:

Bloodthorn Taunter <--
Swamp

P1P15:

Plains

Not very confident on my deck so far at this point...hopefully the next two packs flesh out.

-- CON --

P2P1:

Scepter of Insight
Knotvine Mystic
Vagrant Plowbeasts
Hellspark Elemental
Toxic Iguanar
Armillary Sphere
Nacatl Outlander
Infectious Horror
Brackwater Elemental
Wild Leotau <--
Nacatl Savage
Scattershot Archer
Rupture Spire
Asha's Favor
Swamp

So many playables...Wild Leotau's beefy, though, and probably the best creature in the pack aside from maybe Spire.

P2P2:

Elder Mastery
Gluttonous Slime
Unstable Frontier
Brackwater Elemental
Unsummon
Vedalken Outlander
Faerie Mechanist
Sylvan Bounty
Ember Weaver
Armillary Sphere
Dark Temper <--
Molten Frame
Valiant Guard
Swamp

The fixing from Sylvan or even the Sphere might be nice, but I'm desperate for removal at this point.

P2P3:

Manaforce Mace
Skyward Eye Prophets
Fusion Elemental
Brackwater Elemental
Quenchable Fire
Sedraxis Alchemist
Parasitic Strix
Aven Trailblazer
Exploding Borders
Absorb Vis
Fiery Fall <--
Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
Mountain

Fixing/removal seems best, but I really want that Mace.

P2P4:

Aerie Mystics
Tukatongue Thallid
Rupture Spire
Matca Rioters
Quenchable Fire
Gleam of Resistance
Vectis Agents
Faerie Mechanist
Rhox Bodyguard
Pestilent Kathari
Aven Trailblazer <--
Forest

The Spire's tempting, but I'm pretty confident I can get by without it. Between the Rioters and the Trailblazer, I'm going on the fact that the evasion is better than the possible 1 higher attack.

P2P5:

Manaforce Mace <--
View from Above
Frontline Sage
Nacatl Savage
Quenchable Fire
Vectis Agents
Constricting Tendrils
Zombie Outlander
Rhox Meditant
Valeron Outlander
Island

Sure, I'll make my smaller creatures bigger.

P2P6:

Spore Burst
Hellkite Hatchling <--
Quenchable Fire
Vedalken Outlander
Sylvan Bounty
Mana Cylix
Kaleidostone
Aven Trailblazer
Lapse of Certainty
Swamp

Seems good to me.

P2P7:

Sigil of the Empty Throne
Countersquall
Frontline Sage
Scattershot Archer <--
Rhox Bodyguard
Yoke of the Damned
Kaleidostone
Constricting Tendrils
Plains

Rhox is too expensive to play often, and the archer gives me some flying defense against thopter tokens and Aven Squires, among other things.

P2P8:

Aerie Mystics
Controlled Instincts
Nacatl Savage <--
Traumatic Visions
Vectis Agents
Pestilent Kathari
Salvage Slasher
Plains

Om nom bears.

P2P9:

Knotvine Mystic <--
Toxic Iguanar
Nacatl Outlander
Infectious Horror
Scattershot Archer
Asha's Favor
Swamp

Seems like the best choice here.

P2P10:

Elder Mastery
Unstable Frontier <--
Vedalken Outlander
Molten Frame
Valiant Guard
Swamp

Just in case.

P2P11:

Skyward Eye Prophets
Brackwater Elemental
Quenchable Fire <--
Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
Mountain

P2P12:

Quenchable Fire <--
Vectis Agents
Rhox Bodyguard
Forest

P2P13:

View From Above
Vectis Agents <--
Island

P2P14:

Mana Cylix <--
Swamp

P2P15:

Plains

-- ARB --

P3P1:

Spellbreaker Behemoth <--
Mage Slayer
Tainted Sigil
Anathemancer
Soul Manipulation
Demonic Dread
Trace of Abundance
Ethersworn Shieldmage
Esper Stormblade
Deny Reality
Deadshot Minotaur
Vedalken Ghoul
Qasali Pridemage
Glassdusk Hulk
Plains

Always like opening him.

P3P2:

Wargate
Vengeful Rebirth <--
Lorescale Coatl
Bant Sureblade
Cerodon Yearling
Valley Rannet
Ethersworn Shieldmage
Deadshot Minotaur
Vedalken Ghoul
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Vectis Dominator
Grixis Grimblade
Ethercaste Knight
Swamp

Removal and recurring something seems good? I've always been a fan of this card.

P3P3:

Marrow Chomper
Sanity Gnawers
Bant Sureblade
Sigiled Behemoth
Jund Hackblade
Brainbite
Offering to Asha
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Sangrite Backlash
Fieldmist Borderpost
Captured Sunlight
Rhox Brute <--
Mountain

More beef.

P3P4:

Anathemancer
Etherwrought Page
Deny Reality
Deadshot Minotaur <--
Igneous Pouncer
Violent Outburst
Jhessian Zombies
Fieldmist Borderpost
Esper Sojourners
Grixis Grimblade
Bant Sojourners
Mountain

Anti-flier defense, I suppose.

P3P5:

Fight to the Death
Bant Sureblade
Sanctum Plowbeast
Cerodon Yearling
Breath of Malfegor
Talon Trooper
Offering to Asha
Veinfire Borderpost
Captured Sunlight
Firewild Borderpost <--
Swamp

Never been a fan of Fight to the Death, and I could probably use another fixing since a couple of my big creatures have a GG casting cost.

P3P6:

Sages of the Anima
Ardent Plea
Shield of the Righteous
Grixis Sojourners
Demonic Dread
Jhessian Zombies
Sigil of the Nayan Gods <--
Esper Sojourners
Winged Coatl
Forest

Never really used this much, but with little removal in my deck, it seems like it'd be a good spell to have on the burner to push my smaller creatures through. Plus, I've already seen two before this, so if they come around, I'd have a good chance of getting some solid early beef in my deck.

P3P7:

Morbid Bloom
Godtracker of Jund
Grixis Sojourners
Jhessian Zombies
Monstrous Carabid
Leonin Armguard <--
Architects of Will
Demonic Dread
Swamp

Why not?

P3P8:

Cloven Casting
Tainted Sigil
Demonic Dread
Godtracker of Jund
Offering to Asha
Captured Sunlight <---
Vectis Dominator
Plains

Another card I don't like to play, but might make its way in my deck.

P3P9:

Tainted Sigil
Anathemancer
Demonic Dread
Trace of Abundance <--
Vedalken Ghoul
Glassdusk Hulk
Plains

P3P10:

Wargate
Cerodon Yearling
Vedalken Ghoul
Vectis Dominator
Swamp

Hrm.

P3P11:

Sanity Gnawers
Brainbite
Offering to Asha
Mountain

And there makes the third.

P3P12:

Anathemancer <--
Etherwrought Page
Esper Sojourners
Mountain

Trade value? *shrug*

P3P13:

Breath of Malfegor
Offering to Asha <--
Swamp

P3P14:

Shield of the Righteous <--
Forest

P3P15:

Swamp

--------------

Final deck:
5 Forest
5 Mountain
5 Plain
1 Naya Panorama
1 Firewild Borderpost
1 Scattershot Archer
1 Wild Nacatl
1 Rip-Clan Crasher
1 Steward of Valeron
1 Trace of Abundance
1 Dark Temper
1 Exuberant Firestoker
1 Aven Trailblazer
1 Knotvine Mystic
1 Naya Charm
3 Sigil of the Nayan Gods
1 Wild Leotau
1 Manaforce Mace
1 Hellkite Hatchling
1 Leonin Armguard
1 Rhox Brute
1 Spellbreaker Behemoth
1 Welkin Guide
1 Deadshot Minotaur
1 Fiery Fall
1 Vengeful Rebirth

Not too bad, I think, overall. 3-1 after four rounds, losing only to a pretty good Esper deck that eventually won.
Mirage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P1P6: Resounding Roar over Angelic Benediction
FlyingFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like first picks with 3 colours, I would have picked the rhox charger there ..
Duodax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sangrite Backlash>Rhox Brute
FreeBird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there were a lot better picks in pack 1 then the charm...
MikeL123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with the first-pick charm. It's pretty close to being a bomb.

P1P6: Resounding Roar
P2P4: I'd consider the Rioters or Rupture Spire. Maybe even Gleam.
P2P6: Hellkite Hatchling is awful, I thought I'd love that card but it's just no good unless you happen to have some 1/1 token generators that you'd put in your deck anyways.
P3P3: Sangrite Backlash
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1p1 Naya charm is a bomb and for me its the right pick though the charger is defensible, my only problem is with your attitude that the card is a comitment to naya its not, naya's not open just do not play the charm 1 card does not make a deck love'em and leave'em and all.

p1p3 I take the agony warp

p1p6 I take the courriers capsule, that drake is no longer a hate

p1p7 with what you have this is actually a promising sign that your draft is not going to be the disaster I thought it would be, I take the panorama

p1p8 I take the panorama

Im looking like 5 colour, your looking like a naya deck that could be struggling for playables

p2p1 I take the spire

p2p2 I have a naya charm and agony warp so i take the sphere

p2p4 I take the spire and my mana is pretty mcuh fixed now 2 panoramas, 2 spire, 1 sphere, firey fall

p2p5 I tkae the zombie outlander

p2p6 I take the trail blazer, hatchling is quite bad with out the token makers

p2p7 I take the yoked

p2p8 I take the mystics seems better in both our decks

p3p3 the backlash is the pick

Here the fact you passed 2 spheres and 2 spires is punishing us both as someone very close to us took both and is now in the fun situation of being able to take the best card out of pretty much every pack. Another strong arguement in particullar for not passing rupture spires, as it highly increases the chance somes going to take your good cards pack3.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that I did all my comments without looking ahead. I commented each pick before looking at the next ones to see if I was right. If I didn't it wouldn't be a completly true and fair analyzis.

P1P1: The 3 color cards thrinax and naya charm are very good. Naya Charm is more powerful. And than you had Wild Nacatl, Rhox Charger and Courier's Capsule. I'm pretty sure the capsule isn't a better pick than those 2 but if anyone wanted to force Esper they could pick it. I like esper and I would take the capsule over the charm or thrinax but I can't really take it over Nacatl (almost) nor Rhox Charge.

Rhox Charger is the pick here to me. I'm not saying this is an incorrect pick. I'm saying that I wouldn't do it based on shard preference. If it was a Tower Gargoyle I wouldn't think twice. Anyway I don't take anything common or uncommon over a Tower Gargoyle.

So I think we can make 3 (maybe 2) possible first picks, all of which are correct. If you don't mind taking a 3c card in the first pick and like the green and red shards, naya charm is the pick (I don't think taking thrinax here is correct based on shard preference since the shards share 2 colors and aren't that much different). If you don't like taking 3c cards at least in those colors than you have Rhox Charger. The final choice and probably the only one that can be considered incorrect (I don't consider it incorrect if you pick it really wanting to go esper) is the capsule.

P1P3: This is a mistake. This pack has an Agony Warp, 2 playable black cards and 1 playable grixis card. It has nothing else playable in other colors besides the naya panorama. This is a pretty good signal and you should have takne it. Besides Panoramas are not that good in aggro.

P1P4: Ok nothing UB but the pack is pretty bad so even with Warp that would be the correct pick.

P1P5: With Agony Warp now you could either take the Drake and go UBw or UBr or take the Deathraiders and go BRu.

P1P6: The correct pick is Roar with what you had but look: there's still a capsule here. Blue is surely open.

P1P7: correct. Being UB here I would actually take Death Baron and take zombies whenever I had a chance.

P1P8: You'd get a Deathraiders here.

From now one everything would have been different so it let's forget the fantastic UB deck you would have.

Nothing else to point pack1.

P2P2: a shock that only hits creatures for 3? Really? Sphere>>>>Sylvan Bounty so this was between Ember Weaver and sphere. Maybe Ember since you're lacking playables (you're lacking everything but you don't really have anything for the lategame so you might as well go beatdown and hope to win against a deck not too powerful).

P2P3: Fiery Fall is not going to be fixing most of the time since you're GWr (or at least that's what you should try) but it's removal. The mace is nice but not what you want. You really wanna go beatdown trying to get as many blades as you can pack3. Aven Trailblazer is what you need to consider here and that would have been my pick at this point.

P1P4: I have to agree. Anyway let me remind you what would happen if you were UBx: P2P1 Sphere, P2P2 Faerie Mechanist or and actually good Dark Temper, P2P3 Sedraxis Alchemist, Parasitic Strix or one of the land cyclers and you could even get lucky and get Brackwater Elemental back, P2P4 Faerie Mechanist. Even by passing all that blue you're getting good stuff. Just imagine you had taken the correct signals? I guess no one was able to read them.

P2P5: Now's a good time to get it although I like Rhox Meditant. Anyway Zombie Outlander or the UB deck to stop any GW beatdown.

P2P6: Terrible pick! Really that card is pretty bad. Aven Trailblazer not only is way better, it also makes your mana base require less red. And even without Aven, Sylvan Bounty is better. And without that I would just hate the Outlander.

P2P7: Your draft is going pretty bad. You don't want a 1/2 for 1. Yes it can sometimes shoot those things but you'll probably get another one from the pack you opened if you really want it. Archers is at most a decent sb card but probably just fringe. Your deck is looking bad already, just pick some GW playables.

P2P9: You have nothing to acelerate into. I'd just pick the Outlander.

P2P10: Molten Frame. You might have to play it maindeck and it might give you a chance to beat the insane esper deck someone is making.

P2P11: The Elemental came back.

P2P12: Ok. Now here you don't have any reasons not to take Rhox Bodyguard. Quenchable Fire? Really?

P3P2: Bant Sureblade fits better your deck.

P3P3: Sangrite Backlash or Bant Sureblade. If I had drafted that GWr deck here I would take the Blade because it's better on the mana and actually doesn't care about the creatures you kill with Sangrite anyway.

P3P4: Fieldmist Borderpost is much needed fixing specially since you went on heavier red than you should.

P3P5: Ok I really don't understand this. Your deck has no late game besides Mace. That's clearly aggro. Yet you take a deadshot minotaur over the needed fixing but when given the option of a 3/2 first strike for 2 you take the same fixing? Worst of all you didn't even consider the fantastic Bant Sureblade. You could have 3 right now!

I might have seemed too harch but it really shows you're not used to drafting, at least drafting this block. I'm certainly no expert. I felt I was a above average in LLL and LLM in mtgo and pretty good at SSS and SSE in mtgo but in Shards I'm probably just average. It is dificult to draft specially after last block where you could go mono color.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotstejn wrote:
I don't like first picks with 3 colours, I would have picked the rhox charger there ..

I second that.
FreeBird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ik wrote:
Rotstejn wrote:

I second that.

I think courier's capsule is a stronger pick, and the archetypes are just more broad...
Davis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBird wrote:
ik wrote:
Rotstejn wrote:

I second that.

I think courier's capsule is a stronger pick, and the archetypes are just more broad...

The charm is a good pick. It's very likely if you don't pick it, the guy who does is going to end up using it against you for the win.

I think the OP's main problem here is missing signals during the actual drafting process.

There's a few other mess ups like the Panorama P1P3; and then a couple of picks later there's a near unusable Angelic Benediction picked over Roar.

I didn't look at the rest of your picks in full, but I did look at the deck. It seems like you're missing out on a lot of creature beef, making that Firestoker pretty much useless. I don't know what you picked Knotvine Mistic over, but it's also generally chaff; Captured Sunlight doesn't really fit your deck like a glove, but I think it's gonna be more useful for you than either of those.

What is Hellkite Hatchling doing in this deck? He doesn't really fit too well; although it might get a good meal out of those two not so useful cards I just mentioned.

But hey, 3-1? Not that bad. Sounds like if you had a little more drafting expierence, you might have walked away with the win.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1