Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic: Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Delicious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Magic: Online Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting into magic:online

Could anyone give me a price lay out? Like drafts/sealed/tournies

I understand you buy $1 event coupons. But is it 1 per event?

or is it multiple ones for events?
optcn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boosters are $4 a piece
tix are $1 a piece

draft is 3 boosters plus 2 event tix so a total of $14

constructed is 6 tix (correct me if im wrong, dont play much constructed on modo)

and sealed events are 6 boosters + 4 tix so a total of $28
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I was trying to figure out what is least cost. irl or MO.

rl seems that way, but i also have to factor in Gas lol
doublegg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delicious wrote:
Thanks

MO is cheaper imo, and also you should have considered prizes, beacuse irl you get some boosters for finishing high, and you can only open them, since no tournament organizer lets you play booster draft from your own boosters, but in MO, let's say you win an easy 4-3-2-2 draft, and get 4 boosters; then you sell 1 booster for 3 or 4 tix, and you can draft 1 more "for free", since you have 3 boosters + 3-4 tix (plus the cards you had drafted, obv). So online seems to be cheaper for me (not mentioning card prices for constructed tournaments).
FreeBird

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doublegg wrote:
Delicious wrote:
Thanks

MO is cheaper imo, and also you should have considered prizes, beacuse irl you get some boosters for finishing high, and you can only open them, since no tournament organizer lets you play booster draft from your own boosters, but in MO, let's say you win an easy 4-3-2-2 draft, and get 4 boosters; then you sell 1 booster for 3 or 4 tix, and you can draft 1 more "for free", since you have 3 boosters + 3-4 tix (plus the cards you had drafted, obv). So online seems to be cheaper for me (not mentioning card prices for constructed tournaments).

That is very untrue, my shop lets people use their own packs to draft...>.>
so do a lot of other people's I know.
TO's don't care for the most part because after people use said packs they have won, and if they don't win they will have to buy packs. It's just the prize pool becomes lessened for the players in the draft.
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i think i will have to do a lot of reading up

i don't understand the selling booster packs. lol
doublegg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBird wrote:

That is very untrue, my shop lets people use their own packs to draft...>.>
so do a lot of other people's I know.
TO's don't care for the most part because after people use said packs they have won, and if they don't win they will have to buy packs. It's just the prize pool becomes lessened for the players in the draft.

That's very friendly, but I don't know any shop doing the same, and I hope in the future this is gonna change.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delicious wrote:
yeah, i think i will have to do a lot of reading up

i don't understand the selling booster packs. lol

He means trading for tickets.

Anyway you can also sometimes find cheaper event tickets from other players although right now, not much cheaper. There was a time that you could get them at around 0.80$ For Europeans it's actually way cheaper drafting online because the euro is worth more than the dollar. So when I bought the thickets they were around 0.60 each. It made each draft cost around 8,40 and deppending on the winnings you could actually make profit from it (you can anywhere in the world) but if you keep going 1-1 in 4-3-2-2 winning 2 packs, each draft would only cost 3.6 Keeping in mind you can win more or less but with the cards you also pick I'm pretty sure if you are decent there's no way you'll be drafting for more than 5.

Still it's very hard to make profit from drafts. However over the time and with some investment you'll be able to make constructed decks. In constructed it's easier to make profit. Just going 1-1 in 8 man queues you'll already making profit. So constructed can finance your drafts while you're still not good enough. This way you get better at both constructed and limited and you can even make profit out of it.
Carnubak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing in Magic Online is cheaper than playing paper magic, and the availability of games at almost any time is great. I have little time to play Magic in real life, but I get to play online almost every night at least a game or two.

There is a whole economy in-game, and the Event Tickets (TIX) are the de facto currency. These can be bought from the Wizards store at 1 dollar each (plus applicable taxes, depending where you live).

There are a number of dealers that buy and sell cards and/or booster packs in exchange of tickets, by using automated trading programs called "bots". That's the most common source of singles for constructed play. although you can trade with other players for them, and usually can get better prices that way, the bots offer instant access to almost any card you might need.

The prices of singles online can differ wildly from their paper counterparts. Sometimes they cost more, most of the time they cost less. Many dealers have websites where you can check their prices. There's also a bot called "infobot" that can give you the price the biggest dealers are selling a card for.

You can play casually or for prizes. Casual play costs nothing apart from the cards (that you need to have in your collection in order to build decks). Playing for prizes cost a number of Event Tickets, depending on the type of event and prize structure. Drafts usually cost 2 TIX plus the packs, but Wizards has a rotating schedule for NIX TIX drafts. To enter these you only need to provide packs, and cost no tickets. From time to time Wizards does NIX PAX drafts for out-of-print sets, in which you only need to pay tickets (around 12-15) and get the packs in exchange.

Prize structure for the drafts is one of the following: Swiss drafts (3-2-1), in which you always play three rounds and get a pack for each win; 4-3-2-2 and 8-4 are single elimination drafts. In the first, the winner gets 4 packs, runner-up gets 3, and third and fourth place get 2 each. In the second, winner gets 8 packs and runner-up gets 4.

Constructed tournaments include 8-man single elimination queues, that cost 6 tickets and offer a payout similar to draft and run on demand (as soon as a queue fills, it starts, like drafts do). On the other hand, you have scheduled events, that start at a certain time, and you can sign up in advance. These run a swiss portion first, with rounds according to number of players, with a top 8 single elimination. The prizes for these are bigger, adn the entry fee is 6 tickets.

Sealed events require 6 packs of the appropriate sets and 4 tickets to enter, and are available in 8-man swiss queues (that run on demand) and scheduled events.

I think this sums up pretty much of what you need to know beforehand.

Ah, the "cost" of creating an account is $9.99 (plus taxes), but you get a voucher for that much money to spend in the online store. So, it's basically free in the end (except for the taxes part), Wizards just requires a minimum initial investment.

You can find a lot more information in the Magic Online forums here. These are run by Wizards to keep the community of players in touch. In there you can find a New Player FAQ, and a Magic Online FAQ that are way more detailed than what I wrote here. Feel free to send me a message, if you join.

Hope this helps. Very Happy
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playin with real paper is no comparision to magic online or magic-league i like it just so much more so my advice is to spend the money on real life cards and play here for free if wanted Smile
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot for all of that

So if you do good you can sell your packs for tickets and if you rare drafted a little, you could pay for another draft all over again?

i used to play on there, when it first came out. It didn't have all of this lol
Carnubak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare drafting just for the sake of it is not as profitable online since the prices for singles are in general lower (unless it's a high demand card).

For instance, using retailer prices: A Cruel Ultimatum may be worth 2 and a half dollars in paper, but you can get three for a ticket from an online dealer, and if you keep searching, you might even get someone that sells four for one ticket. Similarly, if you were able to sell a Master of Etherium at retail price you could roughly afford the prize of a pack, whereas online, you could get 2 for 5 tickets.

In general, the high demand cards, like Elspeth, Knight-Errant get high price tags, but less than their paper counterparts (right now it's cost is in the vicinity of 15 tickets, while an online dealer sells the cardboard ones for 30 dollars).

You can buy draft sets from the dealers between about 11 and 13 tickets depending on the block and the weekly NIX TIX rotations. You might buy them off other players for about 9 to 12 tickets if you post an announcement and wait for responses, since that's what the dealers usually pay.

The bottom line is: there are cards that might pay for your draft, but it's usually a better policy to try to win the draft itself.
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess with time i learn figure out how to sell these cards and get tix for them.. I am a pretty good drafter, so hopefully it will be on my side.

Now when someone puts up a thread about their draft, how do they remember every card? Is there a function to copy and paste all of the cards you saw and took?
Craze

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why people play mtg irl. Theres some experiences like collecting and playing with real people that you just can't get here. But why the hell do people play modo. The cards aren't real, the program is shitty for the most part, and there is a completely free league sitting right here.

*sighs* It's kind of like the people who register mws I suppose...
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons I play modo.

1. less stress no rules debates no people constantly trying to cheat you.

2. A general higher quality of opponent its a bit more of a challenge.

3. Any time of the day with in 4 minutes of loggin on I can be in a draft.

4. I am sure there are still racists, biggots and cheats on modo but modo does not let them express there tard views. Unlike the time a certain notorious canadian posted links to nazi, kkk and other such websites on ml and the admin acted like it was no big deal when I complained.

5. I like to compete when I played ml I top 8 every other masters I entered, competition brings out the best (and in my case the worst) in me (very bad loser).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2