Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of Phase Priority!?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Ninja87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: End of Phase Priority!? Reply with quote

I got Mistmeadow Witch in the "battlefield". I have 4 mana untapped. I played Mull for evoke, I pass my priority, my opponent passed his priority.

Then I end my turn. Then my opponent Cryptic Command to draw and bounce my Mistmeadow Witch saying that he's doing it at "end of phase, obviously" fearing that I activate my it to remove his creature for an entire turn.

He convinced me that opponents receive priority at every "end of phase".

Then, since it's "end of my main phase" I target my own Mistmeadow Witch instead. That's where he revealed himself as being a noob. He insisted that he gets to draw from Cryptic Command because the "2nd" target, "Draw" was still a valid target and rage-quitted..

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there's not such "end of phase" priority but a quick Google search and Forum search showed nothing about it.. So please confirm? Thanks..

p/s: his name was Jimmy87 on MWS.
Ggerg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he really should just do it eot...or not do it at all tho.
obv he's horrible
thranarama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, each player gets priority to play spells before you move into each new step/phase of a turn. So his being a noob aside, he does get the chance to play Cryptic at the end of your 2nd Main Phase.
Ninja87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thranarama wrote:
Yes, each player gets priority to play spells before you move into each new step/phase of a turn. So his being a noob aside, he does get the chance to play Cryptic at the end of your 2nd Main Phase.

ic ic.. thx for clearify.. will play better next time..

Edit: so it is NOT called "end of phase"... that was what really confused me when he called it that..
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'end of phase' thing is really a big misnomer. You can respond to his Cryptic Command, you could recast a bounced creature, etc. after that. So it's not really the 'end'.

What he probably meant is that the stack is empty in the second Main Phase and you passed. If he would pass too, you'd move to the End Step. So he uses that, potentially last, time he gets priority in your second Main Phase to cast his Cryptic Command.

It is true that every player has to pass on an empty stack to go to the next step or phase, which means that every player gets at least one opportunity to cast a spell or activate an ability in every step or phase (besides the Untap Step and Clean-Up Step, since nobody gets priority there).

He was also talking out of his ass about the drawing. A Cryptic Command set to draw and bounce has one target. If that target is illegal the entire spell is countered and none of its effects occur.
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to touch on the question as a whole, as someone had mentioned, and then further explained by hard track sort of... if your opponent indeed decided to cryptic command bounce your creature during "the end of" your 2nd main phase, once that resolved (if you allowed it), you would be able to re-cast it b/c the phase wouldnt end at the end of his cryptic command resolution.. he should wait until 2nd main phase is over, entering end of turn phase, and then do it... also active player always has priority at the beginning of a new phase
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1