Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with a T2 Megrim/Underworld Dreams deck

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
motoxfreak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Help with a T2 Megrim/Underworld Dreams deck Reply with quote

I need help with this deck. It does very well sometimes and very poor sometimes. It seems about 50/50 whether or not its gonna do well and thats not good enough. Please help me out.

DECKLIST:

Lands:

9 Swamp
5 Island
4 Sunken Ruins
2 Fetid Heath
2 Graven Cairns

Creatures:

4 Ravenous Rats
2 Jace Beleren
2 Liliana Vess
2 Divinity of Pride
2 Drudge Skeletons

Spells:

4 Diabolic Tutor
4 Beseech the Queen
4 Mind Rot
4 Splitting Headache
4 Distress
2 Megrim
2 Underworld Dreams
2 Tyrannize
2 Mind Shatter

SideBoard:

4 Pithing Needle
4 Agony Warp
4 Terror
3 Ashling, the Extinguisher
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry but this kind of deck will never be good its win condition is a trible black costing cast that is 20x slower than anything else. try again
Burton911

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add 4 Underworld Dreams and catch the Turbo Fog Players in the Tournament Shocked

It would be cool to take a foto of the impression on there face if the have to play against that card
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, this will not work because once their hand is gone half your deck is useless, so your topdeck mode is horrible.

When that is said, you need 4 of both your win conditions. 4 Megrim, 4 Underworld Dreams.

Then you need Howling Mine and Spiteful Visions, so that they got cards you can discard for damage.

You should run Blightning.

The rest of your deck should be burn and creature kill (Volcanic Fallout, Incendiary Command).

Hmm, I'll just make a decklist to show you what I mean.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [LRW] Vivid Marsh
4 [LRW] Vivid Crag
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [SHM] Graven Cairns
2 [10E] Sulfurous Springs
6 [ALA] Swamp (3)

// Spells
4 [10E] Megrim
4 [10E] Underworld Dreams
4 [10E] Howling Mine
4 [SHM] Spiteful Visions
4 [ALA] Blightning
4 [LRW] Incendiary Command
4 [CFX] Volcanic Fallout
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [EVE] Batwing Brume
Egnirys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that looks good, even if it's not viable it should be pretty fun in casual plays.

Batwing Brume though?
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egnirys wrote:
Yeah that looks good, even if it's not viable it should be pretty fun in casual plays.

Batwing Brume though?

It's a fog effect which is very helpful vs aggro decks drawing 2-3 cards each turn, and on top of that it deals damage like everything else in the deck.
Triggers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and its a house against tokens Razz
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBring3r wrote:
I think this would work better as BW rather than RB.

WoG, the other fog effects, are superior and more effective.

If you have Howling Mines, why bother playing Blightning? It's really effective when your point is to empty their hand, not when they're getting a lot of cards anyway.

So, either cut the mines or blightning. They're not synergistic. Spiteful Visions is good with the Mine, and with Dreams.

Megrim is good with Blightning and that's basically it unless you manage to get a lot of other stuff on the board, but that's overkill.

However, this deck will have a big weak spot vs Maelstrom Pulse, which is a house nowadays.

The mvp with Megrim and Underworld Dreams out is Incendiary Command, but Blightning is also a devastating spell with Megrim out. When Megrim is not in play but Mine/Visions are, you should have better things to do with your mana than playing Blightning.

I wanted to show him a way of using Megrim and Underworld Dreams in the same deck. Discard isn't the best cards with Megrim, it is "Wheel of Fortune"-type cards that deal the most damage with it.
Triggers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBring3r wrote:

If you have Howling Mines, why bother playing Blightning? It's really effective when your point is to empty their hand, not when they're getting a lot of cards anyway.

So, either cut the mines or blightning.

Well, they have to have cards to discard for megrim to work. And blightning is not bad on its own anyways
whoempah_666

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this deck a long time ago as a fun legacy deck but here you simply lack the speed i guess

maybe make it a little more defensive with wall of reverence, shriekmaw, murderous redcap, kitchen finks
a few planeswalkers like elspeth
she can make tokens and damage done to her is damage not done to you, and with the howling mines you'll see replacements much quicker

it's a shame teferi's puzzle box is out of the picture
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah blightning and howling mine is a bombo, its like playing a 3 mana lava spike and playing lava spike is bad in itself.
Egnirys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll only Blightning when Megrim is in play, in which case it's 7 damage for 3 mana. With two Megrims it's going to be a massive 11 damage. With Howling in play you have a better chance of them having cards in hand so that they'll actually discard 2 cards for the 4 Megrim damage.

Ved's decklist is a pretty good list for this theme.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ved's List
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its like indomitable ancients in doran still not good, the list is much better apart from that.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been fooling around with Vedfolner's list over the last few hours...it has some great games!

Against aggro with fallout, incinerate, and general damage from the dreams and megrim, one Incendiary Command can wreck an opponent. Aggro is the hardest to beat, as they empty their hand quickly making Megrim harder to use, I would say side it out for something stronger like Pyroclasm? or maybe some other fog effect, its easy to get a white mana, between reflecting pools and vivid lands.

Against reveillark, mulldrifter ends up damaging them a whole bunch. After siding in 4 Everlasting Torment for 4 Incinerate, they lose any advantage they were getting from Wall of Reverence, Kitchen Finks, etc.

Against control, I got wrecked some games and destroyed them in a few too. It all comes down to incendiary Command. If you can get that to resolve with a Megrim in play, its gg usually. Of course they pack the strongest removal, Maelstorm Pulse, Cryptic, etc. and when they play creatures like Kitchen Finks, and Putrid Leech that doesn't help our cause much either...

I will continue testing...

Potential sideboard:

4 Pithing Needle
4 Everlasting Torment
4 Anathemancer (against 5cc)
???

Any tips?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2