Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible New Fae

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bftw wrote:
i like the options with puppateer clique. and funeral march isn't at all what we're talking about. i wish i could run funeral march.

it's MIND FUNERAL and it gets 4 lands fo sho, i was saying that it's good against W, because i often pull 1-2 windbrisks away from them over the game.

This means that there are at least 14 lands left in his library, assuming you milled four and he has 4 in play/hand and he runs 22+ lands in his library, which is quite common.

the 8 other cards could by anything. You could actually help him take top 12 useless cards off his library and let him draw everything he needs from card 13 and down. Even if you milled both Ultimatums of a 5cc deck (which is a good matchup for Faeries btw), they could play anything else they have and still kill you - or even Primal Command your Borderpost and shuffle their graveyard in again. The library doesn't matter and the life count doesn't matter until one of them reaches 0. All that matters are two things: the board, and the hands (as in, playable cards - Unearth and Flashback are both "hand" in this context).

Mill affects neither and are therefore as useless as life, until it reaches 0.
Kytep

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking that random milling takes cards away from your opponent is a common misconception, particularly to those new to the game. The sentence that finally convinced me (over a decade ago, when I was still new to MtG) that random milling does NOT do anything significant to take cards away from your opponent is:

(Paraphrased from memory; I think it might have been Randy Buehler?)

"If instead of putting the top X cards of their deck into their graveyard, you put them on the bottom of their library, would you still say you took cards away form them?"

Unless they draw one past the bottom card of their deck (i.e., unless you are milling them for the win), you've effectively just cut their deck, 12 or whatever cards from the top. And spent a card and 3 mana doing it.

The sense of taking things away from your opponent via random milling (like Mind Funeral) is PURELY psychological. That Cruel Ultimatum or whatever you milled could just as easily have been the bottom card of their library, and they wouldn't have drawn it by the end of the game anyway. Or it could just as easily been the 13th (or whatever) card down, and you just set them up to draw it. At BEST, you just "re-shuffled" their already-shuffled deck. For a card and 3 mana.

Kytep
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4