Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACR Draft #1

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
DragonBuster

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: ACR Draft #1 Reply with quote

Been a long time since I've logged onto ML; only just now recently getting back into the swing of things again after not playing for about a year and some change, so I thought I'd give some limited games a swing to try and see if I can shake the rust off before doing some more ML tournaments.

Any feedback on picks and whatnot are welcomed.

- ALA -

P1P1:

Keeper of Progenitus
Seaside Citadel
Topan Ascetic
Bant Battlemage
Blister Beetle
Elvish Visionary
Executioner's Capsule <---
Dragon Fodder
Soul's Might
Viashino Skeleton
Bloodpyre Elemental
Carrion Thrash
Lush Growth
Jhessian Lookout
Island

About the only things I could see worth picking in the pack are the capsule and maybe Bloodpyre. Seaside Citadel might be nice, but not worth picking over removal to me since there's a good chance I'll get the fixing I need later.

P1P2:

Immortal Coil
Angelic Benediction
Sphinx's Herald
Wild Nacatl
Hissing Iguanar
Druid of the Anima
Bloodthorn Taunter
Naturalize
Windwright Mage <---
Etherium Sculptor
Spell Snip
Obelisk of Naya
Cloudhearth Drake
Swamp

After the capsule first pick, I still have a few options. Benediction's nice, but with the first pick I had, I'm looking to go into Esper or Jund if I want to keep following it. Hissing Iguanar fits Jund nicely, but Esper seems like a more solid option given the Windwright Mage. Let's see where it takes me.

P1P3:

Arcane Sanctum <----
Crumbling Necropolis
Cylian Elf
Elvish Visionary
Steward of Valeron
Outrider of Jhess
Etherium Sculptor
Shadowfeed
Hindering Light
Rakeclaw Gargantuan
Welkin Guide
Volcanic Submersion
Swamp

Fixing for the two Esper picks seems like a good choice, and I'm starting to feel pretty confident in solidifying in Esper.

P1P4:

Thunder-Thrash Elder
Angel's Herald
Cylian Elf
Soul's Fire
Call to Heel <---
Godtoucher
Viscera Dragger
Naya Panorama
Steelclad Serpent
Cathartic Adept
Court Archers
Forest

Bounce/combat trick seems like about the only real pick for me in this pack. Might give me a chance to bounce an important artifact or maybe an Ethersworn Shieldmage if I get one or two later on.

P1P5:

Invincible Hymn
Cylian Elf
Coma Veil <----
Naturalize
Incurable Ogre
Blightning
Shoresnapper
Soul's Grace
Shadowfeed
Lush Growth
Mountain

I almost felt tempted to hate-draft the Blightning since there's almost nothing in here for me, but so far I haven't seen much removal and I know the third pack's generally light on solid removal, so just in case I felt Coma Veil might be best.

P1P6:

Punish Ignorance
Dawnray Archer
Jhessian Infiltrator
Obelisk of Bant
Dispeller's Capsule
Steelclad Serpent
Obelisk of Naya
Yoked Plowbeast
Cloudheath Drake <----
Plains

Solid creature for my deck? Seems pretty obvious here.

P1P7:

Dragon's Herald
Angel's Herald
Naturalize
Cavern Thoctar
Jungle Weaver
Cloudheath Drake
Deft Duelist
Courier's Capsule <---
Island

Never go wrong with card advantage!

P1P8:

Bloodthorn Taunter
Resounding Scream
Jund Panorama
Dragon Fodder
Windwright Mage <---
Yoked Plowbeast
Coma Veil
Swamp

Another solid creature, la la la~

P1P9:

Keeper of Progenitus
Soul's Might
Viashino Skeleton
Carrion Thrash <---
Lush Growth
Jhessian Lookout
Island

Nothing good for me here; might as well take a creature worth something to someone else.

P1P10:

Immortal Coil
Sphinx's Herald
Bloodthorn Taunter
Etherium Sculptor <---
Spell Snip
Swamp

Late-pick Sculptor seems pretty nice. Good for those expensive beefy artifact creatures in the later packs.

P1P11:

Outrider of Jhess
Etherium Sculptor <---
Hindering Light
Volcanic Submersion
Swamp

Two seems better than one, eh? By now, I'm starting to worry about what everyone else is drafting; so far, my Esper seems to be dang solid.

P1P12:

Angel's Herald
Steelclad Serpent <---
Cathartic Adept
Forest

P1P13:

Invincible Hymn <---
Shadowfeed
Mountain

P1P14:

Steelclad Serpent <---
Plains

P1P15:

Island <---

- CON -

P2P1:

Nyxathid
Volcanic Fallout
Aerie Mystics
Celestial Purge
Absorb Vis
Nacatl Outlander
Aven Squire
Bone Saw
Armillary Sphere
Wretched Banquet
Darklit Gargoyle <---
Toxic Iguanar
Kaleidostone
Tukatongue Thallid
Forest

The Nyxathid is a pretty nice creature to drop down, and perfectly in colors, but with the pure artifact base I'm running right now, I'm banking on getting at least one Faerie Mechanist to dig like crazy. This makes it a decision between Darklit Gargoyle and...well, there's no real other decision.

P2P2:

View From Above
Esperzoa <---
Celestial Purge
Fiery Fall
Molten Flame
Sylvan Bounty
Absorb Vis
Suicidal Charge
Rotting Rats
Maniacal Rage
Wretched Banquet
Might of Alara
Drag Down
Mountain

To me, it was a tie between the Esperzoa and the fixing via Absorb Vis. The fixing I can find later; the Esperzoa I likely won't. (Plus, if that Kaleidostone circles from last pack, I'll have a mini-draw engine!)

P2P3:

Font of Mythos
Controlled Instincts
Countersquall
Aerie Mystics
Molten Frame
Pestilent Kathari
Nacatl Outlander
Rotting Rats
Bone Saw
Maniacal Rage
Court Homunculus <----
Valeron Outlander
Mountain

Although Controlled Instincts would be nice since I'm really low on "removal", it only targets red and green. The homunculus would be a more stable pick, so I'm going with him.

P2P4:

Celestial Purge
Elder Mastery
Constricting Tendrils
Frontline Sage
Rupture Spire
Bone Saw
Gleam of Resistance <---
Maniacal Rage
Worldly Counsel
Wretched Banquet
Toxic Iguanar
Island

Celestial Purge is decent, but again, restricted to colors. The fixing will probably help, but between Gleam and the Spire, I'm gonna have to go with the pseudo-combat trick card.

P2P5:

Kederekt Parasite
Rhox Bodyguard
Yoke of the Damned
Absorb Vis <---
Valiant Guard
Pestilent Kathari
Scattershot Archer
Goblin Outlander
Gleam of Resistance
Rhox Meditant
Mountain

Two different mana fixers to choose from, but I already have one Gleam, and probably won't run another if I have two. Absorb Vis gives me that extra punch late-game that could help out more if I need it.

P2P6:

Controlled Instincts
Molten Frame
Exploding Borders
Faerie Mechanist <---
Bone Saw
Mana Cylix
Aven Trailblazer
Canyon Minotaur
Scattershot Archer
Plains

Finally, one shows up!

P2P7:

Asha's Favor
Pestilent Kathari
Nacatl Savage
Traumatic Visions <---
Brackwater Elemental
Mana Cylix
Wretched Banquet
Tukatongue Thallid
Mountain

Nothing else really to pick BUT the fixer. Three fixer spells now; pretty sure that should be most of what I'll ever need. I might be able to skimp on fixing in pack 3 and get some more solid creatures now.

P2P8:

Maniacal Rage
Traumatic Visions <---
Toxic Iguanar
Asha's Favor
Wretched Banquet
Lapse of Certainty
Goblin Outlander
Island

I reeeeeeally don't need the fixing...but Banquet reeeally isn't that good. I need removal I'll actually play; my deck's already looking tight for space as is, given what I've drafted. Sigh.

P2P9:

Absorb Vis <---
Bone Saw
Wretched Banquet
Toxic Iguanar
Kaleidostone
Tukatongue Thallid
Forest

Kaleidostone rolled around! Even with the four other fixers, though, Vis seems to be slightly more solid towards bumping one of the other fixers I have out of the deck, and keeps my opponents from getting them. Might as well go with it.

P2P10:

View From Above <---
Suicidal Charge
Rotting Rats
Maniacal Rage
Wretched Banquet
Mountain

I was really tempted to take the Banquet here out of pure desperation for removal, but...well, if I can get in a flier or two with View From Above, so much the better, I suppose. Many white permanents means I can do it multiple times, as well.

P2P11:

Font of Mythos <---
Countersquall
Rotting Rats
Bone Saw
Mountain

I'm torn between Font and Bone Saw. Font seems like a good choice to dig for more of my artifact creatures, but my opponent would get first crack at drawing the three cards. Bone Saw is more user-friendly for me, and I can slap it on a flier to get a few more damage in. Was this the wrong choice?

P2P12:

Elder Mastery <---
Constricting Tendrils
Bone Saw
Island

Probably won't splash for it, even though I could with all my mana fixers. My Esper seems like it'll be too solid to squeeze it in, though. We'll have to see.

P2P13:

Rhox Bodyguard <---
Valiant Guard
Mountain

P2P14:

Bone Saw <---
Plains

P2P15:

Mountain <---

- ARB -

P3P1:

Sages of the Anima
Double Negative
Drastic Revelation
Reborn Hope
Bant Sojourners
Deadshot Minotaur
Grixis Grimblade
Sigiled Behemoth
Jund Hackblade
Vedalken Ghoul
Terminate
Ethersworn Shieldmage <---
Breath of Malfegor
Captured Sunlight
Mountain

I probably *could* play the Grimblade, but he's not an artifact creature and Esperzoa + Shieldmage is too tech-y to resist. Very nice trick to use, too.

P3P2:

Morbid Bloom
Wall of Denial <---
Skyclaw Thrash
Architects of Will
Bant Sojourners
Valley Rannet
Fieldmist Borderpost
Talon Trooper
Sewn-Eye Drake
Monstrous Carabid
Colossal Might
Vectis Dominator
Glassdust Hulk
Swamp

Probably the only exception to the "artifact creature only" rule, although Glassdust Hulk is tempting. I'm hoping he'll wheel around though, since I'm sucking up a lot of the good Esper it seems.

P3P3:

Necromancer's Covenant
Anathemancer
Wall of Denial <---!!!
Esper Sojourners
Esper Stormblade
Naya Hushblade
Colossal Might
Arsenal Thresher
Jund Sojourners
Putrid Leech
Wildfield Borderpost
Igneous Pouncer
Mountain

The crap?! I almost never pass up one; why not two?

P3P4:

Wargate
Thopter Foundry <---
Anathemancer
Violent Outburst
Winged Coatl
Naya Sojourners
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Grixis Grimblade
Sigiled Behemoth
Putrid Leech
Leonin Armguard
Plains

Recurring artifact creatures is tech. Smile I've always had good results with Thopter Foundry, and as packed full of artifacts as this deck is, I'm sure I can find a spot for it.

P3P5:

Identity Crisis
Flurry of Wings
Ethersworn Shieldmage <---
Trace of Abundance
Sewn-Eye Drake
Naya Sojourners
Architects of Will
Rhox Brute
Bant Sureblade
Cerodon Yearling
Forest

This was about the time where I cursed myself under my breath for not thinking thoroughly of my mana curve. I feel like I've taken more than enough 3 drops, which makes me lean to the Architects, but the Shieldmage is a pretty solid defensive card in its own right. I might as well take another, and mentally make a note to watch my curve more closely in future drafts.

P3P6:

Time Sieve
Shield of the Righteous
Violent Outburst
Monstrous Carabid
Soul Manipulation <---
Magefire Wings
Jhessian Zombies
Sanctum Plowbeast
Stormcaller's Boon
Mountain

I don't need Plowbeast; I have more than enough fixing already. But...there's really nothing in here to get, except Soul Manipulation. Time Sieve seems silly enough to actually use in my deck, given the artifact count I have, but I have better synergy with Soul Manipulation by being able to bring back a creature that gets hit with a removal.

P3P7:

Etherwrought Page <---
Monstrous Carabid
Winged Coatl
Firewild Borderpost
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Magefire Wings
Offering to Asha
Demonic Dread
Forest

Sure, I'll take the artifact. Even a four drop, which I still don't think I've taken enough of.

P3P8:

Unbender Tine
Mind Funeral
Violent Outburst
Offering to Asha
Glassdust Hulk <---
Demonic Dread
Breath of Malfegor
Island

Unblockable beef isn't anything to sneeze at, I suppose.

P3P9:

Double Negative
Drastic Revelation
Bant Sojourners
Vedalken Ghoul
Breath of Malfegor
Captured Sunlight <---
Mountain

Hate-drafting mostly out of spite. Nothing in here to worry about.

P3P10:

Morbid Bloom
Skyclaw Thrash
Architects of Will <---
Bant Sojourners
Vectis Dominator
Swamp

The Dominator's not too shabby, but out of a gut hunch that I really shouldn't be picking any more 3 drops, I'm gonna go with the scrying creature. Probably better for finding threats anyways.

P3P11:

Anathemancer
Esper Sojourners
Arsenal Thresher <---
Wildfield Borderpost
Mountain

Big guy that can get really REALLY big? Yes please!

P3P12:

Wargate <---
Violent Outburst
Sigil of the Nayan Gods
Plains

Would rather not see this against me. Very surprised it went around this far, though.

P3P13:

Identity Crisis
Architects of Will <---
Forest

I'll take late-picks I can actually use.

P3P14:

Time Sieve <---
Mountain

lol I might still get to play with it!

P3P15:

Forest <---

-------------

After much toil and suffering over which cards to leave in and which to leave out, I ended up with the following:

1x Absorb Vis
2x Traumatic Visions
1x Executioner's Capsule
1x Thopter Foundry
1x Call to Heel
1x Courier's Capsule
1x Etherwrought Page

1x Cloudheath Drake
1x Darklit Gargoyle
1x Esperzoa
2x Etherium Sculptor
1x Faerie Mechanist
2x Architects of Will
1x Arsenal Thresher
2x Ethersworn Shieldmage
1x Glassdust Hulk
2x Wall of Denial
2x Windwright Mage

1x Arcane Sanctum
7x Island
4x Swamp
5x Plains

Overall I think I turned out pretty dang good; easily wiped the floor with the competition (except for a rather aggro-y Naya deck; ended up taking three games when I just flew over his big bodies on the ground and then blocked his huge fatties with both Wall of Denials games 2 and 3.)
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice you asking for any constructive criticism but I'm going to do it anyway, pick by pick, because I enjoy it.

Good first pick

Windwright mage will table 70% of the time. Cloudheart drake is better for the archtype of esper, but in general the right pick would be Hissing Iguanar. It is simply amazing.

Good third (for what you already had, like i said, i would have went jund/grixis)

I might have went with soul's fire regardless of my archetype as it is decent removal. I think for you I'd go Viscera Dragger, call to heel comes late sometimes, and unsummon fills the same role in the 2nd pack.

Coma Veil goes last pick sometimes, so I'd go with anything else, naturalize or blightning or even the rare. You most likely won't play the veil

I don't mind the drake that late.

obv good here

see? Windwright mage pick 8, and I guarantee it would go at least 3 more picks away, too. Good pick for your deck though.

all fine at the end...

Conflux -

Darklit gargoyle here? Nah man. Go Purge/armillitary sphere. You have only 1 fixing type card so sphere is the pick.

2nd pick is good, but Drag Down is also an option. You don't have any good typical bouncing esper cards yet. How do you not consider a removal spell here?

Don't mind taking Homunculus this early, some people do.

I'd go with Rupture Spire or Purge here, Instead of gleam, as they go later than the other too and might be available later, too.

vis is fine here.

mechanist is fine.

visions or wretched banquet. With the cards I'd have taken i'd get the visions, but with your deck I'd get the banquet. You have no removal =)

Same next pick

Same next pick

View from above over banquet? No.

Countersquall is a good s/b option

all fine at the end i guess...

Reborn:

Fine first pick, although I personally would have went Terminate.

Fine 2nd pick

ESper stormblade is the 2 mana one, right? I'd take that. It's a 2 mana 3/2 flier in your deck, but its a close call.

Fine 4th pick

fine 5th pick

fine 6th

I'd have taken offering to amesha here, as you MIGHT play it. Page won't make the cut usually, or maybe Winged coatl here.

Good 8th pick

Bant Sojourners is hot. Cycle make a 1/1? Good combat trick against some decks, and an average sideboard slot.

good 10

good 11

good 12

Identity crisis is obviously the pick. That card is playable contrary to popular belief.

nice last pick..

If I were the drafter, I'd have a much more focused and removal based deck with still the same amount of fixing... Don't sleep on wretched banquet. Just play it. It's better than etherwrought page =/
Ggerg

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg signaling is so tech
Zoom

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1p2=hissing iguanar. this is 10x better than windright mage.
p2p2=drag down. you need removal at this point.
p2p4=celestial purge. you need removal. this almost always has a target.
p2p8=wretched banquet. you need removal.
p2p9=kaleidostone. you already passed up removal to set up the esperzoa/stone combo. follow through on the plan. do you really need this many land cyclers?
p2p10=dude. play wretched banquet.
p2p11=countersquall. howling mine is a terrible effect in limited. you are always either behind or even on cards to to howling mine effect.
p2p12=constricting tendrils. by this point you are desparate for removal. tendrils cycles at worst, and at best it is removal.
p3p1=terminate. you have good fixing at this point. take advantage.
p3p2=talon trooper. you need more quality attackers. since you don't have removal, you need either fat or evasion.
p3p3=esper stormblade. you can never pass this guy when you are on color. exeptions made only for bombs or desperately needed removal.
p3p4=grixis grimblade. you need guys and 2 drops.
p3p7=page is not good at all. i wanted it to be, and i've tried to make it good, but it's just bad. offering to asha here. or even winged coatl.

I think the defining moment of this draft was p1p2. if you had taken the iguanar, you'd be shipping a red-less pack, and possibly setting yourself up for a great pack 2. I feel like you need to value removal higher, even if it's not perfect removal (not everything can be terminate Very Happy )
Also, value the blade guys higher, and keep your mana curve in mind in general.
dv8r

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think you messed up very badly in this draft, but got bailed out in pack 3 because other people in the draft seemed to underate cards in alara reborn. you flat out ignore all the signals you get pack one, and remain incredibly inflexible, I'm pretty surprised you managed a 2-1, but I guess double wall of denial is just that good. some comments:

p1p1
I normally take the fixing over removal, because there's in this format you never want more than 8 spells, and you can never have too much removal (last pack is also very removal heavy). That said, there's very little wrong with p1p1 e-capsule.

p1p2
in my opinion, as a second pick, mage is the 5th best card in this pack, after druid, nacatl, hissing iguanar and drake. I would take the nacatl being biased towards green, I think that iguanar is probably correct from a neutral perspective and it's a MILE better than mage. I would be less critical of this pick if it was somewhere you needed to go 3-0 in like a ptq t8.

p1p4
You have seen nothing to suggest esper is open, even in esper, dragger is the CLEAR pick.

p1p5
No, you should take the blightning because you are more likely to play it. Flexibility is a good thing.

p1p7
In esper, with zero gargoyles, Deft Deulist is much better (especially with all the blades last pack).

p1p11
My good esper decks rarely play sculptor ....

p2p1
I actually don't dislike this pick, Darklist Gargoyle is a very good card, and although it will probably table, it's wrong to take the gamble.

p2p3
This pick is wrong, kathari and mystics are both better. Controlled instincts is a card I'm happy to md these days, but I'd feel bad about taking it 3rd pick.

p2p4
Spire is much better, it doesn't cost you anywhere near as much tempo or need you to have white mana.

p2p11
Rare/money draft, you're not playing the saw, and squall is a better sb card. Right pick imho.

p2p12
I have no idea why mastery always comes so late, it's one of those cards that just wins the game, and you can always sb it out vs decks with inf. removal.

p3p1
I'm a big fan of the blades, you don't need to just play artifacts in esper... I don't like this pick, but I don't know the format well enough to be 100% sure you are wrong.

p3p3
How lucky.

p3p4
I have no idea how good foundry is, it seems solid, but noone ever passes it to me, so I can't say for sure.

p3p6
You're never playing time sieve, there is no limited deck you can possibly draft to make it good (and yes, I mean that, it's not a challenge to prove me wrong).

EDIT:
p2p10
This pick is just wrong, you have a ton of flyers already, and you need removal, and have a high curve, it's a clear pick imho
asamodious

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You commited yourself to a shard on the second pick.

You should have taken one of the better cards in the pack..Wild Nacatl is by far the best card in that pack.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1