Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RW Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Shards of Alara constructed
RavensEffect

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: RW Control Reply with quote

I know the idea for RW Control may come as a surprise for Shards block, but I have been testing it and it has been coming out pretty well. Some of the card choices are a bit shaky, like Angelsong, but I'm not exactly sure what would fit better for a great control deck. I don't want any flaming, or anyone telling me to just play another deck, because I do play other decks also, I want suggestions on how to make this one better. Thanks in advance.

// Lands
4 [ALA] Jungle Shrine
3 [ALA] Naya Panorama
2 [CFX] Rupture Spire
6 [ALA] Mountain
7 [ALA] Plains
1 [ALA] Forest

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
3 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant
4 [CFX] Wall of Reverence
1 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
3 [ALA] Knight-Captain of Eos

// Spells
3 [ALA] Angelsong
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
4 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
4 [ALA] Naya Charm
3 [CFX] Martial Coup
4 [ALA] Resounding Thunder

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
SB: 1 [CFX] Martial Coup
SB: 3 [CFX] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [ALA] Dispeller's Capsule
SB: 3 [ALA] Magma Spray
SB: 3 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf

The cards that really stand out are obviously Martial Coup, Ajani Vengeant, Ethersworn Canonist, and Wall of Reverence. With both players only being able to play one spell a turn, I can block with my big wall or use Naya Charm and Angelsong to tap their creatures/prevent damage. Wins with Martial Coup usually, which is why I had 4 in the originally, but last game I drew all 4 throughout the game and thought maybe three would be better. Thanks again!
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about banefire instead of resounding thunder
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intimidation bolt seems better than angelsong
RavensEffect

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Intimidation Bolt in my sideboard at one point, but I took it out, it may be better than Angelsong, but it costs one mana more and Angelsong can cycle if I have to. I'll have to try intimidation bolt instead of it to see how it plays.

Banefire sounds great actually, and is probably the perfect finisher the deck needs. I'll run 3 probably. Hows this look?

// Lands
4 [ALA] Jungle Shrine
3 [ALA] Naya Panorama
2 [CFX] Rupture Spire
6 [ALA] Mountain (3)
7 [ALA] Plains (1)
1 [ALA] Forest (2)

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
3 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant
4 [CFX] Wall of Reverence
2 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 [ALA] Knight-Captain of Eos

// Spells
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
4 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
4 [ALA] Naya Charm
4 [CFX] Martial Coup
3 [CFX] Banefire
3 [ARB] Intimidation Bolt

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [CFX] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [ALA] Dispeller's Capsule
SB: 3 [ALA] Magma Spray
SB: 2 [CFX] Mark of Asylum
SB: 3 [CFX] Ignite Disorder
Demyo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cut the banefires to 2
You don't want to see them often in your openning hand or in early game.
RavensEffect

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but Alara Block constructed is DEFINITELY not full of elves, I don't know if you thought this was a T2 deck, but if I was playing t2 I obviously wouldn't be playing with RW control. Unfortunately you are right about Blighting, and/or Jund as it is the worst matchup for this deck probably, and also the deck that is used the most here on ML.

I disagree with not wanting to see Banefire early game. It reads that you can do X damage to target creature or player, so with having 3 in the deck that also means that Banefire CAN actually be used to kill creatures, not just win the game. Banefire is a very good burn/creature kill spell in Block. And for Bajan, you must not have tested Rupture Spire yet, or you would know how amazing it can be. I would be running Ancient Ziggurat which is obviously better at making mana, but my deck also has very little creatures and a lot of noncreature spells. And also there is the fact that I'm playing a control deck, so I don't usually mind the lands coming into play tapped.

Basically the deck wins always against fast decks once I get the right cards into play, and pretty much the only reasons I have lost so far is mana screw and opponent killing Knight-Captain of Eos before the deck gets moving quickly. I have thought about adding Font of Mythos just to make the deck move quicker, but its probably not a good idea because it could help opponent just as easy. Thanks for thoughts!
MartyrTBP

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven I like your style with this deck. and frankly if you can't beat jund it's not worth playing.
you're right about the knight captain fogging their broodmates but it doesn't work like that sadly. I don't have much for their terminates to target or their other removal so it is kinda a sitting duck.

Frankly you and I have kinda built the same deck and I know that some where in the middle of both our builds is perfect for what we are both trying to do. Although I don't lose to jund unless it plays two broodmates which one is tollerable the second not so much. like in one game when he played two I couped then on his next turn played another and killed me the turn after with attack and two blightnings. lame.

though in retrospect that sounds pretty godly haha.
RavensEffect

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I also lose to Blightning too. But when I said I usually lose to Jund, I didn't mean I'm an auto-lose to Jund. Obviously Jund is the #1 Block deck being played right now, and I'd venture to say that probably 70% of the people on here are using it for trials and tournaments. Out of the Jund decks I have played so far, I have probably won close to half of them, maybe more. I don't have a problem with any single creature Jund plays, Canonist usually slows down game play early on while I look for answers. Its like you said, all the removal and Blightning, and also the speed that Bloodbraid Elf brings to that deck, is the problem. Knight is almost a constant fog, for Broodmate Dragon and every other creature, at least in my deck. I don't know what I would put in to counter all the removal the deck has, maybe the new white counter that sets the spell back on top of the library? Sometimes one turn is enough to win with 12 indestructible 1/1 soldiers. Very Happy
JKilla

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannonist is bad because every deck runs a crap load of removal and hes only gonna live until your eot or their turn at the most. Cut cannonist for angelsong and leave only 2 banefires in, also knight of the white orchid could be good.
MartyrTBP

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my first build of this played lapse in certainty and it was actually pretty solid but there were too many times where I wished it was simply a card with a higher power rating that's actually when I put the 2 Sarkhan vol and the 4th Enlisted wurm in.

Maybe that dude was talking about bloodbraid elves? eh in any case Blightning has been giving me fits as well.
There are only a few cards that I have feared with this deck and they are all played in Jund so you're right jund is the deck to beat as every time I have built a block deck it has some how cycled back to me playing jund cards haha.
They're simply way powerful.

How are you liking the bane fires? My original build had one in it but I took it out for a knight captain. if it is doing you well maybe I'll work it back in.
Ether sworn canonist, how is that bad boy workin out for you also? That's a card I keep looking at in block but I am just not seeing the reasons to play it. I don't feel like block is too fast nor do I like to slow myself down. OHH Fuck me sideways if shuts down cascade doesn't it?
RavensEffect

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so you're telling me to cut Ethersworn Canonist because every deck runs removal? So in that case, I may as well get rid of all my creatures, all my spells, and just run a 60 card land deck. Of course every deck plays removal, and of course Ethersworn Canonist is going to get removed early, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. Yes, he stops Cascade because once they play that Cascade spell, unless they cascade into an artifact spell, the second spell simply can't be played and either has to go to graveyard or bottom of library.

Also, Ethersworn Canonist is amazing because it substantially slows down the opponents(and myself, but I'm only playing one spell a turn 99% of the time anyway with a deck like this), even with all the removal spells in Block. You terminate my Ethersworn Canonist, I play a Wall of Reverence or Knight Captain, thanks I'd much rather have those guys anyway. I already tested Angel Song and although I like it, Naya Charm and Intimidation Bolt do the job so much better than Angel Song. And I also tested Knight of the White Orchid, who can be a good two drop, but the only way I'm going to have less lands than my opponent is if I go second, and as a two drop Ethersworn Canonist is so much better.

I haven't yet won a game off Banefire, as I haven't tested more like 4 or 5 times since I added it to the deck, but I do have to say that I like it alot more than I thought I would at first. It kills creatures almost as easy as Resounding Thunder does, and its versatility to not be countered, kill creatures, or come in for final damage to opponents, no complaints here.
MartyrTBP

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly wasn't sarcasm I realized in that moment why the canonist was good. I dunno why it took me so long to register..
RavensEffect

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't mean that towards you, sorry if it seems that way. I mean it toward JKilla who told me to take out Ethersworn Canonist because every deck in block uses a crapload of removal, and he'll "just get removed eot or their turn at most". I'm not going to pretend that he's the greatest creature since Tarmogoyf, but he's worth a second look, and changes gameplay up alot.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Shards of Alara constructed All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1