Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 8 NC Regionals Report Fae

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
BigBallin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Top 8 NC Regionals Report Fae Reply with quote

Well going into this years regional i expected there to be alot of tokens, mostly B/W as i believe it is much better than G/W. I knew i had to play something that i could pilot almost flawlessly and i had to step up my game since i got 12th at last years regionals. Despite all of the talk about faeries being inferior, I decided to play it anyway since i was very comfortable playing it. So off 0 hours of sleep i decided to go to regionals with this list:

4xMutavault
2xFaerie Conclave
2xSwamp
5xIsland
4xSunken Ruins
4xUnderground River
4xSecluded Glen

3xSpellstutter Sprite
4xScion of Oona
4xMistbind Clique
2xSower of Temptation

4xCryptic Command
4xBroken Ambitions
3xTerror
1xAgony Warp
1xLoxodon Warhammer
4xBitterblossom
3xJace Beleren
2xRemove Soul

SB:
4xFlashfreeze
2xVendilion Clique
1xMind Shatter
2xPuppeteer Clique
2xSower of Temptation
4xThoughtseize

To the Action!

Round 1: 5cc
Game 1 - The game is very slow as i don't draw bitterblossom the entire game while he is slowly burning me away with anathemancer and mannequins i manage to get out a mistbind clique and lock him out with cryptic.

Game 2 - He has to mull to 6 and i keep a solid hand with double thoughtseize. I double thoughtseize him taking out his options and playing puppeteer clique for his mulldrifter and knowing his entire hand i blow him out.
1-0

Round 2: Blightning w/o Blightning
Game 1 - I start off Game 1 with a Bitterblossom into his slow start. He plays minimal cards and i quickly kill his Ram Gang and his figure of destiny. I play a misbind during combat and blow him out.

Game 2 - We both keep our opener. Through turns 1-3 he plays 3 mogg fanatics which slowly burn me. Climax of this game is my mutavault blocking a mogg fanatic and him shooting my vendilion clique only to see a mistbind save it and lock him out. He drew lots of lands so it wasn't that close.
2-0

Round 3: Turbo Fog
Game 1 - Once he played a howling mine turn 2 i knew this would be an easy match for me. He also cast Rule of law locking himself out of the game to my counters and mistbind clique. Very quick game as mistbind cliques and tokens kill him.

Game 2 - Game 2 is very similar to g1. He draws poorly and has sort of draw engine and quickly loses to tokens with a warhammer.
3-0

Round 4: G/W Tokens
Game 1 - We both have slow draws as his first play is turn 3 witih a spectral that gets broken. Mistbind and man lands are able to kill him this game as i keep his board clear.

Game 2 - I have to mulligan to 6 this game. He starts with a Pridemage into spectral that i can't do anything about. He easily blows me out this game.

Game 3 - I play a turn 2 blossom and pass to him. He sits contemplating his move, and he decides to cast his pridemage on turn 2. I take advantage of this and terror it and thoughtseize him. Looking at his pretty good hand i take his procession leaving him with a fink that i have remove soul for. Of course he draws another pridemage off the top to shoot my blossom. He slowly manages to mass guys on the board as i have no counters and he kills me.
3-1

Round 5: Mono White aggro, Not Kithkin
Game 1 - I draw t2 blossom on the play. Her first play is paladin en-vec into my sprite and i quickly run away with the game countering her wrath of god.

Game 2 - I have blossom t2 again and she gets stuck on 3 lands with nothing but warhammer. I blow her out quickly. Bad luck for her.
4-1

Round 6: Boat Brew
Game 1 - He is on the play and leads off with figure. I have a blossom for him t2. I chump with tokens until i can get him to pump figure to a 4/4 during combat to terror it. He plays siege gang into a remove soul. Follows up with lark into cryptic. Tokens slowly kill him as he only draws 1 fallout.

Game 2 - This game is very close and he manages to play many creatures quickly. Most of the game im fighting to live and i stabalize later and am able to counter his lark and siege gang once again and the tokens with a mistbind kill him.
5-1

Round 7: Planeswalkers
Game 1 - I get out a t2 blossom as well as third turn jace and manage to blow him out with advantage. I was somewhat confused as to what he was playing until around turn 7 he played a vivid crag in order to play the fallout he had in his hand. He was low and an EOT mistbind clique shut him out.

Game 2 - This game was a much better draw for him. I also had a t2 blossom along with a thoughtseize to take his cryptic. Knowing exactly what he had i was able to time counters out. Countering his jace and then playing my own, and countering his ajani with spellstutter. I easily won this game although life wouldn't dictate it as such.
6-1

Round 8: G/W tokens
Game 1 - It just so happened that i lost the notes from this match : [ From what i recall from this match he had quite the draw. T1 hierarch t2 procession. t3 garruk. During this all i had was lands and a spellstutter with no counters and i quickly get blown out.

Game 2 - This game was VERY close and due to this i don't remember much about this match except for the fact that i had obviously lost. However, due to perfect play i managed to somehow steal the game away from him with just a mistbind clique. I do remember that one turn he had land in hand that he didn't play and i broke his overrun off a wind brisk heights that would of killed me.

Game 3 - I kept a very solid hand. I led with a turn 1 thoughtseize to take his only play. Followed up with another thoughtseize to take the spectral that he had drawn. Due to my luck he happened to draw a procession off the top of his deck that i could do nothing about. Short story the game came down to time with me only having a couple of life left. I happily took the draw as i more than likely should of lost the match.
6-1-1

I knew that i had to win 1 more game in order to top 8 so i was somewhat anxious.

Round 9: G/B elves
Game 1 - We get checked and have to wait for what seemed like forever to start. He mulligans to six this game and i have a t2 blossom while he has nothing but a putrid leech and gets stuck on three lands. He has shriekmaw for my clique but i have scion to save him and quickly kill him.

Game 2 - Once again he mulligans to six on the play. I don't have a blossom this game while he has a putrid leech and vanquisher. I sower his vanquisher while he is once again stuck on 3 lands. The game ended with having only 3 lands again and 2 putrid leech's to my sower, vanquisher, clique, and scion.
7-1-1

So i was pretty excited hoping that tiebreakers wouldn't be the death of me as they have many times before. Two of my friends in the group also top eight'd both of which were playing tokens. Standings come out and i get fourth into the top 8. Sweet. I see that i have to play against B/W tokens in the top 8.

Top 8: B/W tokens
Game 1 - Not close at all. He has double bitterblossom while i can't seem to find even 1 of mine. He quickly kills me as my hand has no way of dealing all of his tokens.

Game 2 - I keep a 5 land double thoughtseize hand as he mulligans to six. I thoughtseize him taking his only plays which were a sculler and kitchen finks. I have him looked out of the game with man lands. He draws a knight of meadowgrain that gets sowered. Over the course of the next turns his draws were, path to exile for my sower, Cloudgoat ranger, Cloudgoat ranger, Murderous redcap. I couldn't keep up with his board or draws. I had 8 lands in play and ended with another 4 in my hand as he beat me.

I wasn't too bitter about his draws as it happens sometimes and there isn't much you can do. This years regional was very fun. I was somewhat luckly to have top 8'd playing faeries but it is still a good deck just not as good as before. Unfortunately i won't be playing in any PTQ's with faeries since im able to qualify off of rating. Thanks for reading and all comments would be great. : ]
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a very fun meta. All kinds of decks that needs different strategies and preparation.
Dr_Nico

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I top 8ed my regionals with fae only losing to rb in the first round and in the first of the top 8. It's surely still viable, althou I kinda got lucky evading all the red decks, till karma got me in the top 8 Sad
BigBallin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeah i got pretty lucky evading B/W tokens and of course karma got me in top 8.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really complain about the last because you kept 5 lands and 2 seizes. You'll manage to make the game last long because you take away 2 of his early plays but unless you draw a blossom really early the game will go very long and chances are you're gonna flood.

Btw I top8ed regional with bw tokens (same list as the one I played here to 2nd on a trial). The cool thing about our regionals is that the whole top8 gets qualified.
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people showed up to NC regionals?

I was going to run my WW kithkin there but didn't have a ride from my school to regionals >.<

A bunch of my friends from Kringle's place went though.... I'm not really sure what they decided to run though. Probably not tokens.

Is there a website or something we can get results from the NC regionals and how many people showed up?
zturchan

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went 4-3 with Fae, losing to Blightning, BW Tokens and 5cc, but all of them were piloted by some of the best players in the province, so I'm not bitter.
BigBallin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TheGODehT - There was roughly 240 something at the NC regionals, 9 rounds sucked.

@TugaChampion - Wow that is pretty rediculous that your entire top 8 qualifies. I wish that it was like that for us : [

Luckily im able to qualify for nationals off top 100 total rating ^ ^
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe top75 total and the top75 composite qualify for nats (from now on only total). I was in 50 in composite but with GP Barcelona and a PTQ the week after, all this hapenning before the rating freezes I didn't feel like taking chances and played the regionals anyway.

It was pretty easy. I played a mirror against a friend in the first round (G1 I mull to 5 and he has a very good start, G2 he mulls to 4 but I almost lost due to mega flood and playing very bad for 2 turn. I entered a race when that was his only chance of winning. I still can't believe I made this stupid mistake but at least I was able to recognize it, G3 I have the god draw and he has nothing but 2 blossoms).

After this I play against dark bant, kithkins and dark bant. None of them was very good. Both dark bant players overextended way too much and than suffered the wrath of god. The kithkins player I don't really remember any real mistakes from him and he was like 15. The 2 bant players specially the first made some plays that gave me the game like overextending when they didn't need (maindeck WoGs were key in the first dark bant match). I also made a mistake against the last dark bant player but at least I recognized it right away. I didn't have much sleep the night before and was tired. I had a puppeteer and a finks, both already persisted and he has a qasili pridemage and a meddling mage. I topdeck loxodon warhammer, play, equip on clique and attack with both. He blocks finks and destroys the hammer (I even was stupid enough to just just point 2 damage instead of 5 because he destroyed the hammer after damage was on stack). So after the mistake of playing the hammer I made the mistake of attacking with both and than proceded to not notice he would lose 3 more life.

After this I played an esper lark and he locked me early both games with knight captain of eos, mistmeadow witch, glen elendra archmage and meddling mage on redcap. In G2 the lock wasn't complete but he just raced me.

After this I beat a guy playing rw lark. He made some mistakes like pumping figure after combat (he had figure turn1 turn 2 rugged praire playing mogg fanatic and pumping figure). They were all small mistakes but very avoidable but in the end they wouldn't have mattered. Both games were very easy and his only out was banefire and just in one of the games.

And after this ID. So top8ing a regional here just requires a 5-1-1 playing against many bad players that you just need a good/decent deck, a bit of luck and play decently (I wasn't happy with my play but still I played better than all my opponents except for round 1 and 5).
alvaro202

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* PRO TIP *

most people are bad at playing magic, that's why regional s and qualifiers exist for actual matches Wink
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1