Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What just won a PTQ in tokyo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Hank333

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: What just won a PTQ in tokyo Reply with quote

Artifacts
4 Fieldmist Borderpost
4 Font Of Mythos
4 Howling Mine
4 Mistvein Borderpost

Enchantments
2 Runed Halo

Instants
3 Batwing Brume
4 Cryptic Command
4 Holy Day
4 Negate
2 Path To Exile
4 Pollen Lullaby

Planeswalkers
4 Jace Beleren
2 Tezzeret The Seeker

Sorceries
1 Wrath Of God

Basic Lands
7 Island
5 Plains

Lands
2 Reliquary Tower

Sideboard:
2 Pithing Needle
4 Glen Elendra Archmage
2 Runed Halo
1 Path To Exile
2 Oona, Queen Of The Fae
4 Hoofprints Of The Stag

Ever deck wants to win in the combat phase... so this is what happens.

"You see whats happens! You see what happens when you fck a stanger is the ass!"

This quote applys to token decks too.
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this just got posted "metacall..." discuss there
Sleeyp

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch_Raziel wrote:
Either everyone was playing 4 of anathemancers in every deck, or the Japanese just don't have the money for nonbasic lands. XD

EDIT: OMG! HOOFPRINTS OF THE STAG! IT WINS GAMES! W00T!!!

The deck just won a ptq and instead of discussing the validity of his/her strategy you just verbally barf.
Super_Prep

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Wrath??? Tons and Tons and Tons of card draw??? To hell with that whats the point??? All I see is card draw, artifacts and a tons of attack stoppers. The one things I did see is the Tezzeret which wins games... Nothing new here, this deck will start losing sooner or later. Or maybe a new Esper Control will start ramming the current meta down.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw it was a regionals in JPN not a PTQ
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"oh. you destroyed my Howling Mine. gg"
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

For some strange reason, i started testing this deck immedietly after it won, and let me tell you... Its very good.

I've never lost a game unless I...

1. Mulligan
2. Fail to draw into either howling mine, jace, or font (and casting mana) within the first 3-4 turns
3. Didn't know what someone was playing and misplayed accordingly (happened once)

I think the only weakness this deck will have as far as bad matchups will be the regular mono blue mill deck, and occasionally Jund Ramp depending on the build. BW Tokens , for me, has been about a 65-35 matchup preboard and it has seemed to only get better post board (I put in Oona and more wraths in my build).

I've never casted Hoofprints, and I dont really know what matchups right now I would want to. I'm going to cut it. If more control decks creep up, then it'll come back in. I sided it in against the Mill deck, but people around here either don't play it as much or don't respect it.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
Vedrfolner wrote:

For some strange reason, i started testing this deck immedietly after it won, and let me tell you... Its very good.

I've never lost a game unless I...

1. Mulligan
2. Fail to draw into either howling mine, jace, or font (and casting mana) within the first 3-4 turns
3. Didn't know what someone was playing and misplayed accordingly (happened once)

I think the only weakness this deck will have as far as bad matchups will be the regular mono blue mill deck, and occasionally Jund Ramp depending on the build. BW Tokens , for me, has been about a 65-35 matchup preboard and it has seemed to only get better post board (I put in Oona and more wraths in my build).

I've never casted Hoofprints, and I dont really know what matchups right now I would want to. I'm going to cut it. If more control decks creep up, then it'll come back in. I sided it in against the Mill deck, but people around here either don't play it as much or don't respect it.

That is obviously because no-one and their mother (except Jund Ramp and possibly GB Elves) plays artifact destruction. If the deck positions itself as a contender that will change, and when the draw engine is gone the deck dies. That is why some builds play a total of 12!
warp_gaming

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What exactly is packing MD artifact hate? BW tokens? Nope. GW tokens? Maybe (read: Qasali Pridemage). Jund ramp? not fckin likely. path to exile, infest, volcanic fallout, shriekmaw, agony warp, and terror start to look pretty horrible against decks with no creatures.

The point I'm trying to make is this:

Are you dense? This is a very aggro heavy environment. Howling Mine is in there to make sure you have a fog, wrath, or cryptic available during EVERY critical attack phase. This deck is basically giving away the 5cc matchup, because it's clearly the worst deck in the format right now with all the disruption and hyper-fast aggro running around. So 5cc beats this and nothing else. Jund Ramp has something like 10 dead cards (at least) in this matchup, and still wants to attack with beasts or dragons to win. In fact, the only relevant spell in their deck against this is Banefire, and it has to be X>4 to even matter then. Really techy meta call, since the current meta is tokens aggro and jund ramp, with tokens being clearly the better of the two, and the most heavily played, and since you auto-win the aggro matchup... it's a pretty derf call.

Idiot.

edit: this is EXACTLY why combo is healthy for magic. because turbo-fog isn't. "you drew your whole deck and I win the match 1-0" is not fun.
Zoom

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 1 pithing needle main could be good as a silver bullet for tez search.
sgcyrus

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skathe wrote:
Quote:

What exactly is packing MD artifact hate? BW tokens? Nope. GW tokens? Maybe (read: Qasali Pridemage). Jund ramp? not fckin likely. path to exile, infest, volcanic fallout, shriekmaw, agony warp, and terror start to look pretty horrible against decks with no creatures.

Maelstrom pulse much?
R3wind

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm. I have been playing Jund Rock or Blightning Elf. I have never lost a game to this deck.. They can't beat a turn three Blightning with a 3/3 on the board beating face. On top of that Rock plays burn vs ramp, so you can close the gap.

Yes Maelstrom Pluse is a beating and a half. Thought Hemorage is the nuts as well. Even vs a version with 4 Wrath of God and 3 Ruined Halo main I still stomped him into the ground.

The card disadvantage of Howling Mine/Font is so bad. When you play an aggro-control deck like Bant or Jund with fast beats and disruption Howling Mine/Font just gives you the game.

So don't play this deck it's really bad. BW Tokens should still win if the remembered to side Thoughtsieze.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R3wind wrote:
Umm. I have been playing Jund Rock or Blightning Elf. I have never lost a game to this deck.. They can't beat a turn three Blightning with a 3/3 on the board beating face. On top of that Rock plays burn vs ramp, so you can close the gap.

Yes Maelstrom Pluse is a beating and a half. Thought Hemorage is the nuts as well. Even vs a version with 4 Wrath of God and 3 Ruined Halo main I still stomped him into the ground.

The card disadvantage of Howling Mine/Font is so bad. When you play an aggro-control deck like Bant or Jund with fast beats and disruption Howling Mine/Font just gives you the game.

So don't play this deck it's really bad. BW Tokens should still win if the remembered to side Thoughtsieze.

Your deck sounds like it would beat turbo fog, but your analysis of how is completely incorrect.

The only creatures that matter are ones that do things other than attack. I fully expect people to have 3/3's on turn 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc. I don't care. Blightning can be recovered from easily if you can get a font out. BW has no chance what-so-ever beyond getting lucky, btw. I've played against 4x thoughtseize 4x sculler and the mindsludge thing and still won easily.

Jund doesnt really have "disruption". They have spells you don't want them to cast, but they don't have anything petrifying against you. You expect people to not be completely dead against you. I expect everyone to have some outs other than BW, and so I play accordingly. I'll never let a pulse resolve that would swing the game, although people who think pulse targeting anything is GG are bad magic players. They have 4 pulse, you have 12 engines. The math owns. Also, Banefire has to be for a lot for the jund player. They don't get as much intermittent damage in like RB blightning would, or possibly RW cruise. They're a bit slower, and so their blazes have to be bigger. You can usually outrace them with tezzeret if the cards fall in the right places.

I'll say one thing to detract from this deck, it mulligans ALOT. Probably just as much as any combo deck, but with cards like Mine and Jace you would figure that you could keep more hands. I'm going to tweak this thing out as much as I can and I'll post an updated deck list within the end of the week.
warp_gaming

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so let's automatically ignore the ^^ poster since he has obviously tested exactly 2 decks in type 2 (jund ramp and 5cc before he realized it's horrid) so anyway go to my above post and read that since it actually makes sense.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skathe wrote:
OK so let's automatically ignore the ^^ poster since he has obviously tested exactly 2 decks in type 2 (jund ramp and 5cc before he realized it's horrid) so anyway go to my above post and read that since it actually makes sense.

Let us ignore you as well, since you failed to recognize the damage that would be done to the deck if Howling Mine is destroyed the turn after you played it, before you untap. You also ignored the fact that BW tokens could Thoughtseize your Mine, Sculler your Jace and then you die. The only really good matchups for that deck is GW tokens and WW Kithkin.

The deck is good now because noone expected it so noone is prepared. If the deck continues to do well for a while, people will start packing hate, and contrary to Faeries and 5cc, the card power of that fog deck is extremely low, so hate will be the death of it.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3