Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Treefolk deck could use help

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
leaf_dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Treefolk deck could use help Reply with quote

Hello, new here to Magic-League.
thought i might try and fix my current deck:

Here is my list:

4 Murmuring Bosk
4 Mutavault
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Forest
4 Plains
4 Swamp

4 Treefolk Harbinger
3 Bosk Banneret
3 Doran, the Siege Tower
3 Indomitable Ancients
4 Leaf-Crowned Elder
4 Timber Protector

4 Path to Exile
3 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Captured Sunlight
3 Terror
3 Thoughtseize
3 Lignify

SB:
3 Aphotic Wisps
3 Bandage
3 Celestial Purge
3 Chameleon Colossus
3 Wrath of God

Matchups:

I may of just got lucky but when i played against some "so called" (dont actually know if he was faking it or not) PT player the other day and won 2-1 against his bant deck. i found that if you drew his counters through precision spot removal your large spells next turn. I would say against bant is a 50 50 cuz most players are not sideboarding against me and are taken apart with indestructable everything.

aggro: both faeries and kithkin have failed against me with the quick fatties this deck produces and i found only held off the inevitable.

overall i believe the deck can be better in possibly controlling an opponent any suggestions?
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 4 Doran. They are the whole point of the deck.

Captured Sunlight is terrible. You need 4 Banneret and 4 Thoughtseize as well

A faerie player shouldn't be able to lose against a deck with this many high cc spells (and Faeries isn't aggro). He should ping you for a few damage each turn and counter Doran and one more fattie and then it is too late for you to catch up.

Same with Kithkins - they should have you at 10 life or less before you could produce blockers, and from then on just attack regardless of losing creatures.

You see, Treefolk are very very slow. And without trampling creatures, you cannot possibly win vs the token decks. You need Loxodon Warhammer main and sb. And Dauntless Dourbark. And Chameleon Colossus. Then you would stand a chance because of card power.
leaf_dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

A faerie player shouldn't be able to lose against a deck with this many high cc spells (and Faeries isn't aggro). He should ping you for a few damage each turn and counter Doran and one more fattie and then it is too late for you to catch up.

Same with Kithkins - they should have you at 10 life or less before you could produce blockers, and from then on just attack regardless of losing creatures.

You see, Treefolk are very very slow. And without trampling creatures, you cannot possibly win vs the token decks. You need Loxodon Warhammer main and sb. And Dauntless Dourbark. And Chameleon Colossus. Then you would stand a chance because of card power.

u dont see the decks speed do you?
t1-treefolk harbinger
t2-bosk banneret
t3-leaf-crowned elder
t4- protector+possible kinship folk
t5...

also i updated the deck

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [MOR] Murmuring Bosk
4 [MOR] Mutavault
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [10E] Brushland
4 [10E] Llanowar Wastes

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Treefolk Harbinger
3 [LRW] Doran, the Siege Tower
4 [MOR] Leaf-Crowned Elder
4 [LRW] Timber Protector
3 [MOR] Bosk Banneret
3 [MOR] Indomitable Ancients

// Spells
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
3 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
3 [LRW] Lignify
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [10E] Terror
3 [LRW] Profane Command

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
SB: 3 [10E] Wrath of God
SB: 3 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 3 [SHA] Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 [MOR] Mind Shatter
asamodious

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut the following as they are bad:

ancients (this does nothing but block..which is bad...it also does nothing versus bitterblossom)
lignify(its bad..it doesnt even remove the creature...and its not like its hard to remove an enchantment in this format)
bosk ranneret (it doesnt do much...i mean...it brings out stuff a turn sooner and then sits there...all the spells that benefit from it cost 4 or 5 mana anyways...so just play birds of paradise(or even elves if u cant afford it) so u can actually cast turn 2 doran...which is much better then ANYTHING u can do with ranneret)
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have too much removal main deck, spot removal not to valueable in a format with so many tokens you certainly do not want lignify bombo with doran, how often is profane command going to be any good with 20 lands not very often, which also seems to low even with harbinger bop seems like a natural fit to this deck. And indomitable ancients and timber protector are both signficantly worse than chamellon colossus and doran. I do not beleive you can run muta vault with 20 lands in a 3 colour deck. Also your mana base is so painfull that when you add thoughtseize into the equasion you really are doing alot of damage to yourself this needs changing, sculler over thoughtseize gives you another body and cuts the bleeding.

-3 Indomitable ancients
-3 lignfy
-3 profane command
-2 Timber Protector
-2 leaf crown elder
-3 terror
-4 muta vault
-3 thoughtseize

+1 maelstrom pulse
+4 Chamellon Collosus
+1 Doran the siege Tower
+4 Birds of Paradise
+4 kitchen finks
+4 Tidehollow sculler
+1 Bosk Banneret
+2 Treetop village
+1 Fetid Heath
+1 Wooded Bastion

On the sb Mind shatter once again you do not run enough land for so that for me becomes 4 thoughtseize, and as collosus is now MD instead of weaker cards +3 Garrck here, Wog does not really fit the deck its rare you are going to run into creatures bigger than your own and if you do you still have path and pulse, whilst tokens are rampant so -3 wog +3 infest.

Edit also just realized with your current mana base you are not going to able to fecth and a land with path and you have plenty of creatures worth Pte, so prob 2 basic lands md also.

Last edited by OldBear on Sun May 10, 2009 9:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leaf_dragon wrote:
Vedrfolner wrote:

u dont see the decks speed do you?
t1-treefolk harbinger
t2-bosk banneret
t3-leaf-crowned elder
t4- protector+possible kinship folk
t5...

also i updated the deck

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [MOR] Murmuring Bosk
4 [MOR] Mutavault
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [10E] Brushland
4 [10E] Llanowar Wastes

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Treefolk Harbinger
3 [LRW] Doran, the Siege Tower
4 [MOR] Leaf-Crowned Elder
4 [LRW] Timber Protector
3 [MOR] Bosk Banneret
3 [MOR] Indomitable Ancients

// Spells
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
3 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
3 [LRW] Lignify
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [10E] Terror
3 [LRW] Profane Command

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
SB: 3 [10E] Wrath of God
SB: 3 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 3 [SHA] Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 [MOR] Mind Shatter

T1 Harbinger, T2 Banneret, T3 Elder, T4 Protector ++... So turn 4 you have dealt 1 damage and can 4 more if you aren't blocked.

Kithkin produces 2-3 3/3 or bigger by turn 3, and have removal for your elder. They have evasion and first strike and you cannot stop fliers.

The fantastic curve-out you propose is in fact very slow. Then there are the games where you don't get that curve. You got 20 lands, and that is at least 4 too few. I would take out The Lignifys and 1 Profane Command for 4 more land - possibly Treetop Village.
hestix

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the deck idea and I disagree with what a lot of people are saying. Obviously this isn't tier one but we can still make it a fun, strong deck.

I like the idea of running Identity Crisis in board. Bosk Banneret and Ancients aren't very strong without doran, so I might add Makeshift Mannequin or something to double your count. Instant speed Doran's are also good shenanigans with high toughness creatures.

4 Doran is important. Profane Command seems good. Captured Sunlight is, imo, worth keeping in. Deck thinning and life gain without card disadvantage doesn't seem bad to me. Thoughtseize seems strong.

Leaf-Crowned Elder feels too slow, and Lignify is not good removal even with a treefolk theme. Try cutting the Elders to put your other cards up to 4 counts and swapping lignify cutting lignify for Terror, Pulse, and singleton behemoth sledge.
zeratul734

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

Loxodon hammers are terrible in treefolk. Behemoth Sledge is so much better, as it interacts well with doran (2/2 vs. 3/0)
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeratul734 wrote:
Vedrfolner wrote:

Loxodon hammers are terrible in treefolk. Behemoth Sledge is so much better, as it interacts well with doran (2/2 vs. 3/0)

agree.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1