Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me with card ideas!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Help me with card ideas! Reply with quote

I am building a series of decks to help a few people i know learn how to play magic. I want them to experience a variety of different cards and different types of decks. I want to use real cards, but i don't want to spend money on building "modern" decks. I don't care about format, i just want to build some fun decks. Nothing super powerful, but interesting and strong are not bad. Most of all i want the decks to be cheap.

I am just looking for input.

examples of decks:
GW aggro with Armageddon
Mono Black Aggro LD
UB Re animator
Mono Red Aggro

What are some other cards that people will enjoy playing with? Cards must be cheap to consider, cheap is $5.00 rare at the most(and that's high for me) Any format is fine for me, i don't want to be confined by anything, but i am not out to build the most broken decks.
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a silhana aggro deck? Those are pretty fun IMO.

Merfolk control can be fun and cheap as well as long as you don't play cryptic commands.

Elves?
mickg42

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U/G madness
Zoom

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend buying a couple of preconstructed decks. Or you could try the Chandra vs Jace decks. If you're going to make your own decks for beginners, maybe stick to cards from the core sets, since they are kept simple on purpose. When I make decks for beginners I try to include: at least one of each card type (instant, sorcery, artifact etc), lots of basic keyword abilities (flying, first strike, protection, trample), a couple of big flashy creatures (dragons, angels, big fun timmy cards). I recommend enough instants to teach the stack as well.
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw Precons no way.

I want to show my friends who are starting to learn magic the variety of MTG strategy s possible.

Want i my friends to see A smoke stax deck, reanimator, combo, aggro, control, discard, Land Destruction, ect ect. UG madness was a good example of a good, cheap deck that can be powerful, but isn't going to win turn 3.
alvaro202

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think affinity is a bad deck for beginners to learn with. It doesn't teach mana curve very well, it has few instant speed spells, and is more of a go-fish type of deck. You play your hand out and hope your opponent doesn't have an answer to shut you down.

I believe you should built a tribal beat deck, possibly elves or merfolk as listed above. I also believe you should stick to a format, whether its standard, block constructed, or extended. It will make for a much easier time teaching newer players, as it will limit keywords, and not overload them with all the thousands of cards in a broader format.

Try 2 control decks, one that uses disruption, and one that uses counters. Esper control / mono blue mill for 1, and the other deck could be G/B elves. You should build 2 types of aggro decks, one should be tribal, as above (kithiken) and another should be non-tribal that shows how card synergy works, like gruul or even naya zoo. Staying in block constructed would allow you to make 1 of each type of deck, excluding combo, without spending much money.
totolcc

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a idea for the Mono Black LD

// Lands
24 [ALA] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
4 [10E] Severed Legion
2 [EVE] Umbra Stalker
4 [CHK] Nezumi Graverobber
4 [BOK] Ogre Marauder
2 [10E] Mass of Ghouls
4 [7E] Blood Pet

// Spells
4 [TO] Rancid Earth
4 [BD] Dark Ritual
4 [US] Befoul
4 [MI] Choking Sands
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1