Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ala reborn limited first impressions.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: ala reborn limited first impressions. Reply with quote

So this thread is about generating discussion about ala reborn limited. What you found good at pre-release what was disappointing, what was better than expected really any insight you can share with someone who will not get to play with the cards until they come out on modo, thanks in advance.
Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power level is very high, and it is an overall very fun limited set, the biggest complaint I have is lack of mana fixing in comparison to the other sets which is compounded in an all gold set, making lands and mana fixing in the first 2 packs more valuable.

I opened a pretty weak pool at the PR(lol 0 removal and garbage dudes) but some of the cheap guys can be really insane.

All of the 2/1 hybrids are extremely good, and in a normal 3 color shard deck you can fit in 2 different ones. The 2/4 double strike guy is also super good due to all of the pump effects (exalted, equipment, sigil blessing etc) and behemoth sledge is more unfair than I remember even loxodon warhammer being in limited. Cascade is an absolutely insane mechanic for limited, with pretty much any card that has it being incredible (aside from violent outburst, but even that has a lot of options since it is instant).
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks buddy 0 removal sucks, the blue white cards felts absurdly powerfull to me when looking over them in the spoiler.
Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I ended up playing bant. I had like, a single terminate but a not enough cards to go jund and my creatures were too bad if I went grixis, so I just ended up playing bant with a ton of creatures and finest hour[this card is absolutely insane]. I have my deck with me so it was:

2Drop: Bant Sureblade, Esper Stormblade, Deft Duelist, Jhessian Infiltrator, Ethercaste Knight, Angelsong, Naturalize
3Drop: Bant Battlemage, Fieldmist Borderpost
4Drop: Leonin Armorguard, Arsenal Thresher, Marisi's Twinclaws, Captured Sunlight, Angelic Benediction
5Drop: Waveskimmer Aven, Mosstrodon, Glassdust Hulk, Cloudheath Drake, Welkin Guide, Finest Hour
6Drop: Sigil Behemoth, Pale Reclude, Cavern Thoctar

Usually not a fan of maindeck naturalize, but with equipment back and more relevant enchantments around (crystallization etc) I think it went way up in value.
metzel_usa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i love the 3A 3AR sealed format...i went 3-1 in swiss and ended up taking first place with a pretty powerful deck of fatness. I disagree that mana fixing is a problem as Pale Recluse and Valley Rannet and other cards cycle for basic lands. I played Naya splash black and only lost a match to this kid top decking a obelisk of jund with only 2 black sources into cruel ultimatum me sitting at 4 with lethal on board to swing for the win next turn. So here is my list.

Ill do the curve like the last guy:

1 CMC : Magma Spray

2 CMC : 2x Bant Sureblade, Jund Hackblade, Terminate, Qasali Pridemage, Reborn Hope(awesome card in this format)

3 CMC : Wildfield Borderpost, Naya Battlemage, Fleshbag Marauder, Gift of the Gargantuan, Resounding Thunder, Branching Bolt

4 CMC : Gloryscale Viashino, Singe-Mind Ogre, Rhox Brute, Mycoid Shepherd(so bomby)

5 CMC : Skeletonize, Gorger Wurm

6 CMC : Valley Rannet, Pale Recluse, Enlisted Wurm(best cascade card), Predator Dragon, Vengeful Rebirth(another bomb)

Lands : 5 Forest, 5 Mountain, 3 Plains, 2 Swamp, Jund Panorama, Naya Panorama.

the deck ran fairly well and i was hardly mana screwed except game 2 when i dropped that one match. Anyways it looks to be a fun format and i cant wait until it hits modo.
Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 3A3R it isn't too bad manawise. Drafted alara reborn 4 times now though, and it is definitely apparent. Shards has the panoramas and trilands and you only get 1 round of them to grab as many as possible. The dual land cyclers help, but they're not as good as either of those lands, and the borderposts are good and replace obelisk. The land cyclers that get any from conflux I think are better than the dual land cyclers too. With playing SO many gold cards cause of pack3, I definitely think it can be an issue if you don't get good fixing in first 2 packs.
metzel_usa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still disagree...the pale recluse is a good card by itself and is mana fixing same with RG RB etc...the 5/1 haster that gets a swamp or mountain(i think im not looking at the card...it could just cycle for R/B to draw a card) can be amazing in a RBx deck with removal and is like a lava spike that untaps. Idk the fieldpost are nice and are amazing turn 1. The only thing about the fieldpost is you ahve to watch out for qasali pridemage and naturlaize as they increase in value with the addition of reborn...idk only time will tell if the mana fixing is good or not...and btw if people wonder why mana fixing is so important in a limited format...just dont respond to any of this

and i want to say something about Vengeful Rebirth... That card is absolutely nuts and is rarely NOT going to be a first pick unless you rip a bomb...and if you are skeptical about the card just play it once...removal and a card? damage to the dome and a card? it can get pretty crazy with cards that sac to do things...bloodpyre elemental anyone? thats just my thoughts so far with the limited scene
Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In shards and conflux having 2 different colors by turn2, and the potential of 3 colors by turn3 wasn't as required as now, thats why I'm saying the mana fixing isn't on par with what was in the first 2 sets. And it's true, those trilands are just nutty.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ty all.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1