Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blightning w/ alara reborn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: blightning w/ alara reborn Reply with quote

Okay, I'm not going to lie.... I'm a thought hemorrhage fanboy. I think removing your opponent's best combo, biggest threat, or most crucial card of their deck is pretty sweet. I'm trying to make a blightning deck that will play well against the meta-game and here's what I have so far:

// Lands
4 [10E] Sulfurous Springs
6 [6E] Mountain (2)
3 [TSP] Swamp (4)
4 [FUT] Graven Cairns
4 [LRW] Auntie's Hovel
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool

// Creatures
4 [10E] Mogg Fanatic
3 [SHM] Murderous Redcap
3 [10E] Siege-Gang Commander
4 [CFX] Goblin Outlander
3 [CFX] Shambling Remains

// Spells
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [ARB] Terminate
4 [ALA] Blightning
4 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage
2 [CFX] Banefire

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [CFX] Volcanic Fallout
SB: 3 [ALA] Infest
SB: 3 [SHM] Guttural Response
SB: 3 [10E] Terror
SB: 3 [10E] Dragon's Claw

I'm tested against blightning, faeries, b/w tokens, bant aggro, dramatic entrance type deck (forget the name >.<).

Against blightning it was a very close match. I was able to resolve thought hemorrhage every type I tried to play it and was able to disable the other deck enough to win 5 out of 8 matches (which isn't very promising I know). I sided in dragon's claw for some extra life and kept incinerates instead of terrors because of his Boggart Ram-gangs.

Against faeries I won 3 out of 6 games. The games in which I resolved a thought hemorrhage (or more than one) I won 2 out of 3. I sided in guttural response to resolve thought hemorrhage and used banefire for a late game victory.

Bant aggro didn't give me many problems because of the immense amount of creature removal I have... I was thinking about putting inside out in the sideboard for dark bant decks, but I haven't tested against them yet and I'm not sure how many of those I'd see at FNM or something.

Against the dramatic entrance deck I won 4 out of 6 games.... I'm thinking I need something to deal with shroud like cruel edict.... but I'm not really sure what to take out of the sideboard for that.

Tokens were fairly easy as long as I made it to the late game. Burrenton forgetender was a bit of a problem but I took care of him with terror and infest.

So, does anyone have any idea on how to improve this deck at all? I want to play it at LEAST FNM, and I'd like to play it instead of my WW kithkin deck at regionals if I can get it to the same level of play. Any ideas?

Also, what about anathemancer in sb for 5cc?

Thanks a bunch for any comments and criticisms Smile
Alvaro21k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id include anathemancer in the maindeck, it is good against every deck in the format, except maybe kithkins.
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys Smile

Hm... should I put 4 anathemancer and 3 lightning reaver instead of goblin outlander and shambling remains? or should I take out the murderous redcaps instead of the goblin outlander?
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take out redcap
alvaro202

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have just picked up RB aggro to make a list like this. First off your MD is 100% auto lose against kithkin, after side you have a 30% chance at best to still stabilize and win. I'm also really tired of this concept that siege gang commander is a good card in aggro decks. It is completely off curve, and if it NEEDS to be ran (because for some reason you love having tons of fodder to feed a volcanic fallout) it should be max 2 of.

Terminates, if you insist on running them, should be side board, terror should be main board. Banefire should be a singleton, in your deck in particular it should be singleton profane command MB with a singleton banefire in the sideboard for control match up. I personally hate murderous redcap, especially in an aggro deck. It is really only useful against sower of temptation, and even then its a poor card to play on 4th turn. Which btw, your an aggro deck. Your 4th turn needs to stabilize the field for your beasts to hit the dome. This means your 4th turn spells are thought hemorrhage, and blightning.

I also dislike shambling remains. It was such a hot card, and won me some rounds in FNM, but nothing scoops faster to a kithkin deck than a turn 3 4/3 that can't block. Not only that, but all of white removal spells take the card out of the game, so the useful ability shambling remains has attached to it becomes unusable.

Where are the figure of destiny's? Ask yourself this when you are making a deck. I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm being serious.

Are you playing red or white as a main color? if yes, run 4 figure of destiny.

For the side board... Gutteral response is really bad, again slowing your deck down to a crawl. When playing against control your curve should be about 2.5 - 3. Gutteral response destroys this and doesn't really net you card advantage. Consider using death mark's in SB. You should run the 3 terror in MB and 3 death mark in SB. It will give you good removal utility against any type of deck, and allow you to adjust your curve down if you need to.

Dragon's claw is... It's in my RB blightning aggro SB as a 2 of because I had absolutely nothing else that I needed in my side. running as a 3 of just to counter the mirror is a decision you will have to make depending on your local metagame.
stall_19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should terror be main and terminate sideboard. Seems to he has it the right way with terminates main and terror side. I know BFT can be annoying but so can Doran, Broodmate, Tidehollow Sculler among other can be too. I mean main deck there is only 1 or 2 BFT's and he's running four Thought Hemorrhages so that shouldn't be much of an issue.
shiZnits

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would MD 2 thought hemorrhage and SB 2, I would also play thoughtsieze it has great synergy with it.

You should be playing flame javelin and figure of destiny. I prefer Boggart ram gang over shambling remains.

alvaro202 wrote:
Terminates, if you insist on running them, should be side board, terror should be main board.

That is retarded.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murderous Redcap sucks moldy camel balls.

Take it and one SGC out for 4 Figure of Destiny.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-2 Mannequin, +2 Torrent of Souls. It is a much more relevant spell for a deck not running Mulldrifter.
MikeL123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Hemorrhage seems good until you realize you're often not going to even nab anything from your opponent's hand, which means you're also not going to do any damage with it. And 4 mana is an enormous waste in type 2 to strip cards out of someone's deck - there's just not a lot of viable combo decks. In an aggressive RB deck, you can't spend 4 mana that doesn't disrupt or deal damage.
Kytep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alvaro21k wrote:
Id include anathemancer in the maindeck, it is good against every deck in the format, except maybe kithkins.

Yes, Anathemancer is AMAZING (perhaps unless borderposts and Terramorphics become the color-fixers of choice?). Better even than Banefire a lot of times, because you get multiple chances to use it, and discard (Esper Charm) really can't stop it.

Consider when you have, say, 7 (better yet, 10) mana available and you tap 3 and play Anathemancer. What is your opponent going to do? Let it hit and take 6 - 8 damage? Counter it and take the same 6 - 8 (uncounterable) next turn?

I have a feeling the stock of Pithing Needles is going to go up and up...

Kytep
MikeL123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times does a Black/Red deck get to 7 (better yet, 10) mana? And if they do, do they have ANY chance of winning at that point?
Kytep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeL123 wrote:
How many times does a Black/Red deck get to 7 (better yet, 10) mana? And if they do, do they have ANY chance of winning at that point?

That's the point - if it's a short game, R/B probably won; if the opponent pushes it to a long game, Anathemancer's Unearth ability GIVES R/B that chance to still close the deal; it can literally turn a loss into a win. That alone makes it worth running, even if it doesn't always do amazing things.

But even if you forget the Unearth ability, it's often a Fireball for 4+, for 3 mana. With a 2/2 body. Or WORST case vs. a basic-heavy deck (how many of those are there in the meta?), a Grey Ogre/chump-blocker which can be sided out.

Kytep
TheGODehT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm definitely going to throw 3 or 4 Anathemancers in to my main deck... The only meta deck that I think they'll be not-so-great against would be elves... even WW kithkin runs up to 8 non-basic lands (more with that W/r deck that won the last trial). I guess I'm going to scrap the shambling remains and one siege-gang to throw in figure of destinys too.

What do you all think about main decking volcanic fallouts and/or infests? Does the meta have enough spammish decks to put those in? My first thought is yes, but should I eliminate incinerates to put those in (I know this is probably stupid, but I don't know what else to take out)? I'm not really sure. Plus burrenton-forge tender kind of ruins volcanic fallout, and is played or side boarded in several meta decks.
shadow483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiZnit wrote:

alvaro202 wrote:
Terminates, if you insist on running them, should be side board, terror should be main board.

That is retarded.

Agreed. If this deck cannot make RB on turn 2, you've kept a bad hand. The only cards that come to mind that terminate can't deal with are colossus (which terror can't deal with either) and BFT (which can be played around for the most part).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2