Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6th colour in Zandikar

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: 6th colour in Zandikar Reply with quote

After reading Doug Beyers article today (April 13th) I really got the impression that the whole mana storm at the center of Alara is going to create a new colour of mana. Zandikar could be the plane Nicol Bolas creates with this new mana.

It would also explain Mark Rosewaters absence from a Design team (I think he missed Conflux AND Reborn, I could be wrong) because he would undoubtedly demand the last word on this 6th colour.

What do you think?
Fernan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys have to accept it: Wizard WON´T NEVER create a 6th colour , or more colours, in magic. It would severally break the stability of the game.
killjoy84

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I don't think WOTC will ever create another color for magic. The color pie is too important for the development of the game, and if you add in another color and take things away from the other colors, it will severely hobble the game. While it makes for a good story and good speculation, another color will never happen. Also, I've been playing the game for quite awhile, and the next block is always "gonna bring in a new color all together", and ive never seen it happen so far.
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost agree, but I'm not sure.

Maro makes the case against random discard in magic, stating the luck factor can be frustrating and unfair. This is about 6 months before 9th edition is released, reprinting Hypnotic spectre.

The design team for Planar Chaos toys with the idea of making the debut of colour #6 but backdown when they can't figure out the best way to implement it. This is the same reason Planeswalkers weren't in Future Sight. Wizards didn't want to release them until they were perfected.

The colour pie is touted as unshakeable, and is the foundation of current magic about 6 months before Planar Chaos was released, creating a tidal wave of feedback.

Shards of Alara was another trick on magic players, as no one could have guessed ANOTHER multi-colour block.

It just seems to me that the less likely wizards is going to do something, the more likely they're going to do it.

And really, do you think you could resist a block that featured a new colour? No fucking way.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, if you read the future sight book, that is NOT what nicol bolas was planning with his plane, he was planning a plane where everyone would fight all the time. Not use another random color lol
Maksym

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real issue with introducing another colour would be that it would have absolutely no support in any format other than type 2 and even there it would be coming in very slowly unless wizards starts to aggressively print very good, tournament quality cards in the new colour. Not to say that this will not happen, but the issue that will stand is that either limited will be very much swayed by this if a single colour has a significantly larger number of playable and good cards, or that all the good cards will in the rare and mythic rare rarities thus solving the limited problem to an extent however upsetting a lot of people. (first playable mythic rare plainswalkers, then a new colour...).

Overall it seems conceptually possible however I am not sure if wizards is ready to implement it quite yet... Maybe when they got rid of M-L and still are not making enough money they will find another way to get people to buy more cards... there will be the colour pink, there will be ponies and our entire pinkpony-league.com idea will be sued and destroyed by the wizards that be.
warp_gaming

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no... 6th... color... ever...

ever.

they can do enough interesting things with the base 5 and their flavors, plus artifacts and multicolor cards. also, they have set mechanics that are already fun and whacky.

there won't be a 6th color because it will require a new basic land type, which will severely unbalance many things.

name some? ok.
fetch lands.
dual lands.
shock lands.
pain lands.
artifacts that produce color-specific mana.
creatures that produce mana outside of their own color.
flavor-wise, it unbalances the color wheel where each color has 2 enemy colors and 2 friendly colors.

creating a 6th color will completely destroy the solid framework in which the game operates. the rules of magic are the framework, and the cards and their interactions in each game are what fill in that frame. you can change one at a time, but not both simultaneously, or else the whole thing will crumble. changing the cards makes the game more interesting. changing the framework creates a new game entirely.

Quote:
The only real issue with introducing another colour would be that it would have absolutely no support in any format other than type 2 and even there it would be coming in very slowly unless wizards starts to aggressively print very good, tournament quality cards in the new colour.

I don't totally agree with this being the "only real issue" but it does make a very good point. Printing very good, tournament-quality cards in the new color will serve to imbalance the standard format towards the new color, with slightly less effect on extended and legacy, but in an effort to get cards from this 6th color played in vintage, we will likely end up with a new "Black Summer" type situation, where cards will be getting banned quickly and often.
killjoy84

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: comment no longer needed.

Last edited by killjoy84 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Shatta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i saw the title of this thread i was just gonna come in and say "They see him Trollin, they hatin" but saw that OP was Jacois :\

It's like Maksym said the 6th colour would have too little/slow support. what would the colour be?

They just discussed this with Reliquary Tower and how 1 of the original testers for Magic wanted a land that produced colourless and counted as a 6th basic land type but had no suptype. This could all be foreshadowing but doesn't seem likely
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shatta wrote:

They just discussed this with Reliquary Tower and how 1 of the original testers for Magic wanted a land that produced colourless and counted as a 6th basic land type but had no suptype. This could all be foreshadowing but doesn't seem likely

I think you just convinced me that there WILL be a 6th colour with that point about Reliquary Tower. A 6th colour in Zendikar seems like the most compelling reason not to make "Barry's Land" (a 6th basic land) in Conflux. All the reasons that Wizards stated for not putting that land in Conflux seem like the perfect way to make players think a 6th colour is impossible.

Maksym wrote:
The only real issue with introducing another colour would be that it would have absolutely no support in any format other than type 2

And just why is this a problem? Look at any set and you'll see that 90% of the cards don't make the cut outside of T2 due to not being powerful enough. Current sets are generally made for T2 and block with some consideration towards extended.

My point being that new sets don't need support outside of T2, though I'm sure the set will have a few cards that would be decent in extended and Legacy and those cards will probably be one of the other 5 colours. Having a 6th coulour in Zendikar doesn't imply that the other 5 colours won't be in it.

skathe wrote:

they can do enough interesting things with the base 5 and their flavors, plus artifacts and multicolor cards.

Planar Chaos, Tribal and Planeswalkers.

skathe wrote:

there won't be a 6th color because it will require a new basic land type, which will severely unbalance many things.

name some? ok.
fetch lands.
dual lands.
shock lands.
pain lands.
artifacts that produce color-specific mana.
creatures that produce mana outside of their own color.
flavor-wise, it unbalances the color wheel where each color has 2 enemy colors and 2 friendly colors.

I don't see how a 6th colour would unbalance painlands. In fact, nothing you just said there makes sense. Zendikar block could easily just make 5 new dual lands, and have each land produce one of the 5 basics + the new colour.

There is a lot of basic land searching in ALA, which would be good mana fixing for the new colour as well.
RogueNewb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real problem would be the two colors that were no longer allies. If it fits between Blue and black like they said, it would cut apart all the cards that blue and black use on allied cards. Suddenly recoil is an enemy colored card. You have the 3 and 3 halves and all the long term history of allies and enemies go boom~
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueNewb wrote:
I think the real problem would be the two colors that were no longer allies. If it fits between Blue and black like they said, it would cut apart all the cards that blue and black use on allied cards. Suddenly recoil is an enemy colored card. You have the 3 and 3 halves and all the long term history of allies and enemies go boom~

Imagine the 6th colour being in the middle of the colour pie.
Tsaycro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:

Imagine the 6th colour being in the middle of the colour pie.

Then what would it add? And what would it do what artifacts can't do? I could see a new mana symbol happening that requires you to pay colored mana for something (though even that would be unlikely,) but not a sixth color.
Tasonir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shatta wrote:
It's like Maksym said the 6th colour would have too little/slow support. what would the colour be?

Clearly it would be purple. This isn't up for debate.
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caesarthehun wrote:
Btw, if you read the future sight book, that is NOT what nicol bolas was planning with his plane, he was planning a plane where everyone would fight all the time. Not use another random color lol

Legions 2.0!!!!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2