Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Alara Reborn] Mayael's Aria

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Zapgaze
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you may not. Once the ability gets going, there's no stopping it until it's completely resolved.
zturchan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's wrong, this is what happens due to the presence of the word "then".

1. First trigger goes on stack
2. Players may respond to the trigger
3. Trigger resolves if the condition is met (assuming it is, Colossus is 5/5)
4. Second trigger goes on the stack
5. Players may respond, including you with your colossus ability (10/10)
6. Second trigger resolves, you gain 10 life
7. Third trigger goes on the stack
8. You may respond to the trigger, making colossus a 20/20
9. Trigger resolves and wins you the game.

Yes it works, because the triggers are separate sentences with the word "Then".
LoneWulf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zturchan you are wrong.

There are not multiple triggers for this ability. There is one "at the beginning of your upkeep" trigger. All the references to "then" are the steps in which you resolve the effect; same as the Commands. You can't do something in between resolving the effects of a Command.
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you react to the trigger with Quillspike+Devoted Druid combo a hundred of times, you win the game since the top of the stack resolves first=>the enchantment's ability resolves last.
LoneWulf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SniperMayer wrote:
But if you react to the trigger with Quillspike+Devoted Druid combo a hundred of times, you win the game since the top of the stack resolves first=>the enchantment's ability resolves last.

Yes, this you can do as long as the triggered ability is still on the stack.

The original question was trying to do something in the middle of the ability resolving and that you can't do.
asamodious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zturchan wrote:
He's wrong, this is what happens due to the presence of the word "then".

1. First trigger goes on stack
2. Players may respond to the trigger
3. Trigger resolves if the condition is met (assuming it is, Colossus is 5/5)
4. Second trigger goes on the stack
5. Players may respond, including you with your colossus ability (10/10)
6. Second trigger resolves, you gain 10 life
7. Third trigger goes on the stack
8. You may respond to the trigger, making colossus a 20/20
9. Trigger resolves and wins you the game.

Yes it works, because the triggers are separate sentences with the word "Then".

this is wrong

the others are right.

(im a J1 on this site if it matters, so im like 99% sure.)
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one triggered ability. You can't interrupt the resolution of an ability.
Bushviper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is one trigger so yes you may respond to the eot trigger of the enchantment but each individaul stage of the trigger may not be responded to

Also a J1
MikeL123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One triggered event, which means you cannot respond in between the "then" instances.

As for City of Brass, that's an oldie but a goodie. Since the damage doesn't happen because you tap it for mana, it's not a mana ability. Thus, it uses the stack. Another way to tell: if the land gets tapped somehow, due to an opponent's Rishadan Port or Opposition or Mana Short (wow I miss that card), it triggers the damage ability, which goes on the stack and resolves to deal 1 damage to its controller.

EDIT: "Since the damage doesn't happen as a part of the mana ability". Or whatever. Hard to explain this, maybe someone can do better. Read City of Brass. Read Brushland. Note the difference in wording.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ck3gds wanted to hear what a rules guru has to say about it. As someone who is a rules guru, all I can really say is at this point it's entirely unknown.

The information is from an MTGsalvation spoiler. Checking the source of their information I see it simply comes from a post by someone on salvation. The card might not even exist at all (though sure, it probably does). If it does exist, the wording might not be exactly what was posted, and a small change in wording can change quite a bit about how it functions. (For an example of this, compare Oath of Druids and Gamekeeper. The slight difference in wording between them means a completely different result in whether a Dragon's Breath or similar that's revealed and going to the graveyard will trigger or not)
MikeL123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked into this Gamekeeper/Oath of Druids example (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/jc70 for an actual explanation), and I must say it's one of the poorest interpretations of card mechanics I've ever seen by Wizards. If I was "modernizing" card texts to fit a more uniform language rule, I'd say that "do X and do Y" implies that they happen simultaneously, just as if I said "do X and Y". If they said "do X, then do Y", which is what they do on pretty much every other card in Magic that they intend to have sequential actions, then I could see their logic.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1