Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Asylum Rant - Rant 10 - Dear WOTC... Fuck You.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Craze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: The Asylum Rant - Rant 10 - Dear WOTC... Fuck You. Reply with quote

Rules of the Asylum
Rule 1. There are no real point to these
Before you yell troll, realize that I'm actually writing something that can be discussed, thus its not spam. BUT if you are to ask me why you should read this, I have no answer.

Rule 2. Nothing I say or do has any direct or indirect approval by this or any other magic league

Rule 3. These are my opinions, not yours.
Feel free to tell me yours.

Rule 4. Asylum Rants are MINE.
Don't use my name for your wannabe shit...

now on to today's scheduled programming...

Dear Wizards of the Coast... fuck you.

On Wednesday, at nearly identical times I got two pms:

[19:10] <|derflippi|> m-l needs you Razz

[19:09] <Roo> craze, your league needs you

Now I had been gone all week and actually didn't even come back till Friday night, so I've been a tad out of the loop.
Needless to say after reading the C&D news I was a tad shocked. But then 5 seconds past and I totally started to crack up laughing. Why you may ask?

Because unlike the average player(or Staff member...sadly) I have a personal interest in this league. Have for 5 years. I just really like it. So when MTGeditor, a program that created custom cards, got C&D'd a while back, yours truly got worried about ML.
I asked myself several questions, what makes a site exposed enough to sue? Heres a general list of things...
-Copyrighted material - ML uses none on the website.
-Earns money off of the card game - again nope.
-Spills private information or company secrets - Nope.

So what exactly does ML do that Wotc can sue for? Well it seems Wizards has recently decided to suggest that Appr/MWS use copyrighted material. But wait my fellow readers... thats wrong. The real reason they were able to hit MTGeditor was because Wizards has the tap, untap, and mana symbols all trademarked. But MWS is a text based program that while leaving the option open for pictures uses no images belonging to Wizards. Last time I checked, the letters T, W, U, R, B, and G were not belonging to anyone. Furthermore Wizards gave the creators of Apprentice permission to release their program back in the day.

So why the C&D, as most of you guessed the bad economy is making everyone a little stir crazy. And as most of you have probably noticed, ML's staff are non-existent for the most part. It's not hard to miss. So simply put the C&D was a scare tactic all hoping that the primary staff(Koen, nico, dirkjan) would not care enough to fight it. Thankfully thats not whats going to happen according to a staff member.

So back to my pms, when asked why exactly ML needs me(besides the obvious reasons of course) our resident judge director and j1/server op both said something among the same lines:

[23:45] <TomWork> oooh better question: [19:10] <|derflippi|> m-l needs you Razz
[23:46] <TomWork> [23:45] <TomWork> how does ML need me?
[23:46] <TomWork> [23:45] <|derflippi|> time for a rant Very Happy

[23:43] <TomWork> thats the stupidest shit I've EVER heard
[23:44] <Roo> lol
[23:44] <Roo> i know
[23:44] <Roo> you should make a rant about it Razz

A rant to rally the troops, huh? So this got me thinking, what would be the best way for us to strike back at Wizards for this ridiculous C&D?
We could have just ignored it...too late for that, hell now even MTGS is talking about it.
Or perhaps we should sue them for harassment. I mean last time I checked sending a threatening letter with implications of a lawsuit for no valid reason was definitely harassing.

Finally I decided we as a league should take this as a wake up call. A call for change. The league itself has been in a rut for the last year with inactive judges, ridiculous problems, and literally no ability to grow. Why? Because the leagues staff members won't take action without the founders approval, and the founders are never here!
This C&D should inspire us to do exactly the opposite, we should grow and flourish. We need newer and better systems, more event ideas, and to finally get OPT involved in trials. We need an active staff with the will and ability to actually make big changes. And we need it now.
They wanted me to rally up the troops? Fine, time to rally up, because its not just me who needs to say this. It's all of you. And all the time too.
ML needs me? It needs you. This league lives and breathes by the players like derflippi, Roo, brimestone, and everyone else, judge and non-judge who cares about it.

As for the staff members like our absent founder, it's time you step up or step the fuck aside. The league needs to grow and change and if your not willing to be around for it, pass the torch and power to a staff that will. Hell, I have a number of ideas I'd love to throw at you.

So now is time to speak up, Magic-League. Grow, change, and rise so we can say, "Wizards, fuck you."

Until next time I'm Craze, and heres to another 7+ years of ML History.
-TomW

Last edited by Craze on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mishimakaz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to actually study and actually try to pass the judge test to be a TC for ML after this ran from Craze.
Craze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishimakaz wrote:
I think I'm going to actually study and actually try to pass the judge test to be a TC for ML after this ran from Craze.

thats the spirit!
Qamiqaze420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great rant
ant900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't Koen already step down from his position? Otherwise great rant, I would start playing again if I had more time
Craze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant900 wrote:
didn't Koen already step down from his position? Otherwise great rant, I would start playing again if I had more time

No, he still carries the damn league director position. The most powerful position in this league. Worse off no other staff member will make a damn change without his or apparently nico's permission(including nico ironically). Did ya know the only real person that can change the tournament system(which needs changed badly as agreed by a few staff members I've talked to) is Alex? A guy who hasn't been seen in years!!!!!
It's fucking ridiculous and it needs changed.
Wiley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Craze is gay.
cram320

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craze...

no one knows who you are, now go back to your room and draw in your coloring book.

AND DRAW IN THE FUCKING LINES THIS TIME!
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed

The representation of square boxes in MWS and Apprentice are not cards and will never be cards. Cards are made out of cardboard.

So the correct response to this is to give WotC a chance to support and work with M-L, and if they refuse that, build up the site and continue without them.
mtgsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no point on saying mws is copyright infrigement cause it just uses text as you said.

So great rant craze, youre my new hero btw.

M-l is crying of plain in the floor , but it will raise again, a say "FUCK YOU WOTC,and btw medling mage is a man, YOU FUCKING BASTARDS"
Wiley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtgsoldier wrote:
Yeah, no point on saying mws is copyright infrigement cause it just uses text as you said.

So great rant craze, youre my new hero btw.

M-l is crying of plain in the floor , but it will raise again, a say "FUCK YOU WOTC,and btw medling mage is a man, YOU FUCKING BASTARDS"

Why is craze your hero? He's incredibly lame. You see him saying things like "omg i'm gonna rally the troops" or "M-L needs a wake up call" in an incredibly contrived and stupid rant that places way too much importance on a website that really is just a place to play free magic. Obviously I think what wizards is doing is rubbish and obviously I'm going to be mad about it, but how mad I am about should be proportional to how big of an issue it is. To craze, whose life is ruined, this means "rallying the troops" and posting idiotic, idealistic, preachy rants on the forum. I'm fine with people trying to make intelligent arguments for why M-L shouldn't go down - I'm not fine with people who think it's the end of the world.
RavensEffect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with what you're saying Wiley, but I'm not going to insult you for saying that you don't agree with Craze. I think he is making the point that needed to be made a week ago, hell a year ago. This league has been going to shits for a long time now, with the server always going down, trials always up late, and now this with Wizards. I'm not going to repeat what he said about Wizards not having the right to sue ML because thats been brought up a lot already, but I think that what he said could not have been more true yesterday when the Master was cancelled and no one even knew why. You just had the TC's saying "yeah the masters cancelled, sorry, stop bitching about it." C'mon, thats bullshit, what about the people like me who played through 7 rounds of a Trial to get a bye and then you get told to "stop bitching about no master" after you skipped going to church so you could play in the damn thing?

Craze is right, this place needs a big change. We need more TC's, we need a staff who will actually give a shit, and of course, we need to say Fuck You Wizards =D.
Wiley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a lot of the parts of Craze's dumb rant that you mentioned, I just don't agree with the horribly contrived and dumb way he presented it.

What you mention about the master is interesting. I earned a bye from the vintage trial and while I was disappointed in the lack of a master, and tried to push for a non-prize master to occur, I didn't cry about it when it didn't happen. I just went back to studying.

My point is that in saying he's gonna "rally the troops" and in just posting this horrible rant in general Craze is placing way too much importance on his ability to play magic for free, even though he sucks at it. If M-L really couldn't recover from this, I'd miss it for sure, but not to the pathetic extent that Craze would.. if you follow me.
RavensEffect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm not really crying about it, I had plans at noon yesterday anyway, so I knew I would have either had to drop from the Master or have my little brother play under my name or something lol. I also think that Master should have still happened without a prize, because I think 9/10 of the people who wanted to play in the Master didn't give a damn if they won some free prizes at the end anyway. I think if M-L gets rid of the prize thing in general, which is something Wizards was saying in their "hate email", then they might not have to worry as much about getting sued or whatever. Giving away free magic cards/store credit in a tournament that Wizards has nothing to do with is obviously one of their squalls.

I do kind of agree that Craze's comments were kind of silly and childish, but by this point, I can't really blame him or anyone else for getting that angry about whats going on here. Wizards is sucking whatever life this place had left in it, out. Let's get this place up and going again so I can play some league magic, everyone on mwsgames when you play for fun always disconnect and leave the game after I simply lay down Windbrisk Heights, Knight of Meadowgrain, Spectral Procession. Geez people, all I had under the land was another Windbrisk lolo.
FlyingFreak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze for president !

I don't mind masters without prizes ... I only like Masters because it's a great occassion to test your deck on a decent level.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3