Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ala Ala Cfx 4-3-2-2 No 14.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Ala Ala Cfx 4-3-2-2 No 14. Reply with quote

Back with another 4-3-2-2 I won end up going GR with a small white and black splash.

Event #: 299155
Time: 4/14/2009 8:10:03 PM
Players:
--> ElementalMox
livingwish
Sawaskov
bigshmoo
dokdok
dim12
crazycman
Fab_de_Mars

------ ALA ------

Pack 1 pick 1:
Welkin Guide
Bone Splinters
Deft Duelist
Savage Hunger
Obelisk of Jund
Volcanic Submersion
Rakeclaw Gargantuan
Onyx Goblet
Spell Snip
Bant Panorama
Rhox Charger
Bant Charm
Scourge Devil
--> Broodmate Dragon
Forest

Easy pick, nothing to talk about.

Pack 1 pick 2:
Excommunicate
Viscera Dragger
Druid of the Anima
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
Courier's Capsule
Yoked Plowbeast
Incurable Ogre
Skeletonize (FOIL)
Carrion Thrash
Filigree Sages
--> Naya Charm
Jhessian Infiltrator
Hell's Thunder
Plains

Its between the naya charm and the skeletonize, naya charm is basically a bomb so, in the end i took it.

Pack 1 pick 3:
Undead Leotau
Obelisk of Esper
--> Magma Spray
Dispeller's Capsule
Obelisk of Grixis (FOIL)
Cathartic Adept
Shadowfeed
Rip-Clan Crasher
Lush Growth
Drumhunter
Grixis Battlemage
Gather Specimens
Forest

The other option here is the drum hunter, but that is only very good in ramp fatty deck that I am not a fan of whilst the spray is always good.

Pack 1 pick 4:
Tortoise Formation
Lush Growth
Grixis Panorama
--> Carrion Thrash
Cloudheath Drake
Glaze Fiend
Esper Panorama
Obelisk of Naya
Fleshbag Marauder
Corpse Connoisseur
Cradle of Vitality
Island

All the good options in this pack are black, the carrion thrash felt slighly better than the other options though all 3 are really close, just felt it worked better with broodmate dragon

Pack 1 pick 5:
Akrasan Squire
Jungle Weaver
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
Cathartic Adept
Lightning Talons
--> Naya Panorama
Onyx Goblet
Obelisk of Esper
Sphinx's Herald
Algae Gharial
Island

Here its between the Gharial and the fixing, I rule out the squire as with what we have already it is unlikely that white is going to be a main colour, in the end I went with the fixing

Pack 1 pick 6:
Kederekt Creeper
Savage Hunger
Blister Beetle (FOIL)
Courier's Capsule
Bone Splinters
Tortoise Formation
Shadowfeed
--> Skeletonize
Rockcaster Platoon
Island

Still alot of good cards in this pack, skeltonize is in red which looks like its going to be one of our main colours and is up there with splinters and capsule for best card in pack.

Pack 1 pick 7:
Lush Growth
Skeletal Kathari
Hindering Light
--> Grixis Panorama
Glaze Fiend
Cloudheath Drake
Puppet Conjurer
Quietus Spike
Swamp

More fixing, I do not like spike

Pack 1 pick 8:
Dreg Reaver
--> Cylian Elf
Call to Heel
Yoked Plowbeast
Dregscape Zombie
Glaze Fiend
Sangrite Surge
Forest

Pack 1 pick 9:
--> Welkin Guide
Deft Duelist
Savage Hunger
Volcanic Submersion
Onyx Goblet
Spell Snip
Forest

Pack 1 pick 10:
Excommunicate
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
--> Yoked Plowbeast
Incurable Ogre
Jhessian Infiltrator
Plains

Pack 1 pick 11:
--> Obelisk of Esper
Cathartic Adept
Shadowfeed
Lush Growth
Forest

Pack 1 pick 12:
--> Tortoise Formation
Lush Growth
Cradle of Vitality
Island

Pack 1 pick 13:
--> Cathartic Adept
Sphinx's Herald
Island

Pack 1 pick 14:
--> Tortoise Formation
Island

Pack 1 pick 15:
--> Swamp

------ ALA ------

Pack 2 pick 1:
Excommunicate
Viscera Dragger
Druid of the Anima
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
Godtoucher
Gustrider Exuberant
Resounding Wave
Magma Spray
Blightning
Naturalize
Esper Battlemage
--> Woolly Thoctar
Protomatter Powder
Goblin Assault
Forest

Strong pack the wolly throctar is the best card in the pack and felt like the pick to me.

Pack 2 pick 2:
Deathgreeter
Sigil Blessing
Court Archers
Viashino Skeleton
Call to Heel
Magma Spray
Blightning
Sedris, the Traitor King (FOIL)
Obelisk of Grixis
Resounding Scream
--> Rhox Charger
Mighty Emergence
Dragon's Herald
Mountain

Another good pack the rhox charger is a fairly easy pick.

Pack 2 pick 3:
Dreg Reaver
Sigil Blessing
--> Druid of the Anima
Ridge Rannet
Blightning
Lightning Talons
Angelsong
Undead Leotau
Bant Panorama
Obelisk of Grixis
Jungle Shrine
Swerve
Mountain

Its between the druid and the jungle shrine, I decided to take the druid as its ramp as well as fixing

Pack 2 pick 4:
Marble Chalice
Viashino Skeleton
Etherium Sculptor
--> Akrasan Squire
Shore Snapper
Waveskimmer Aven
Coma Veil
Soul's Grace
Bant Battlemage
Angel's Herald
Sacellum Godspeaker
Swamp

Weak pack for us, just took the squire

Pack 2 pick 5:
Goblin Mountaineer
Elvish Visionary
Sighted-Caste Sorcerer
Bloodpyre Elemental
Cloudheath Drake
--> Jund Panorama
Obelisk of Bant
Hindering Light
Arcane Sanctum
Behemoth's Herald
Plains

The pick is between the bloodpyre elemental and the panorama, i went with the fixing now as opposed to relying on getting passed some later.

Pack 2 pick 6:
Welkin Guide
Deft Duelist
Savage Hunger
Steelclad Serpent
Relic of Progenitus
Hindering Light
--> Qasali Ambusher
Esper Charm
Crucible of Fire
Plains

Late ambusher

Pack 2 pick 7:
Marble Chalice
Deathgreeter
Viashino Skeleton
Call to Heel
Shore Snapper
--> Rip-Clan Crasher
Demon's Herald
Swerve
Mountain

Pack 2 pick 8:
Steelclad Serpent
Marble Chalice
--> Resounding Roar
Viashino Skeleton
Obelisk of Bant
Sunseed Nurturer
Demon's Herald
Island

Pack 2 pick 9:
Godtoucher
Gustrider Exuberant
Resounding Wave
Blightning
--> Naturalize
Protomatter Powder
Forest

Pack 2 pick 10:
Deathgreeter
Viashino Skeleton
Resounding Scream
--> Mighty Emergence
Dragon's Herald
Mountain

Pack 2 pick 11:
Dreg Reaver
--> Angelsong
Undead Leotau
Swerve
Mountain

Pack 2 pick 12:
Marble Chalice
--> Viashino Skeleton
Soul's Grace
Swamp

Pack 2 pick 13:
--> Goblin Mountaineer
Behemoth's Herald
Plains

Pack 2 pick 14:
--> Steelclad Serpent
Plains

Pack 2 pick 15:
--> Mountain

------ CON ------

Pack 3 pick 1:
Unsummon
Armillary Sphere
Kranioceros
Faerie Mechanist
Absorb Vis
Valeron Outlander
Nacatl Outlander
Nacatl Savage
Valiant Guard
Grixis Illusionist
Gluttonous Slime
Sludge Strider
Fleshformer
--> Goblin Razerunners
Island

This card is a bomb.

Pack 3 pick 2:
Traumatic Visions
Mana Cylix
Beacon Behemoth
Zombie Outlander
--> Matca Rioters
Darklit Gargoyle
Rhox Bodyguard
Scattershot Archer
Infectious Horror
Worldly Counsel
Nacatl Hunt-Pride
Fusion Elemental
Esperzoa
Swamp

The pick is either the rioters or the hunt pride, overall I felt my deck did not need another expensive winner so i went with the rioters

Pack 3 pick 3:
Rhox Meditant
Vedalken Outlander
Absorb Vis
--> Ember Weaver
Kranioceros
Molten Frame
Infectious Horror
Rhox Bodyguard
Wandering Goblins
Might of Alara
Fusion Elemental
Ignite Disorder
Mountain

I think its the weaver or the might, as I already have a trick and esper is so much stronger now, the weaver is the pick.

Pack 3 pick 4:
Mana Cylix
Gleam of Resistance
--> Wild Leotau
Frontline Sage
Pestilent Kathari
Valiant Guard
Salvage Slasher
Goblin Outlander
Constricting Tendrils
Unstable Frontier
Aerie Mystics
Mountain

As the white is only a splash in my deck the leotau is the pick

Pack 3 pick 5:
Vedalken Outlander
--> Wild Leotau
Frontline Sage
Wandering Goblins
Brackwater Elemental
Suicidal Charge
Maniacal Rage
Rotting Rats
Controlled Instincts
Countersquall
Plains

Easy pick.

Pack 3 pick 6:
Wretched Banquet
Aven Trailblazer
Grixis Illusionist (FOIL)
Asha's Favor
--> Nacatl Outlander
Grixis Illusionist
Controlled Instincts
Corrupted Roots
Sacellum Archers
Plains

The archers is probably a better card but I was short on 2 drops and alot of the time I would not have the white for the archers so i went with the outlander which is also very good.

Pack 3 pick 7:
Mana Cylix
Frontline Sage
Salvage Slasher
--> Goblin Outlander
Constricting Tendrils
Tukatongue Thallid
Manaforce Mace
Unstable Frontier
Swamp

Pack 3 pick 8:
Toxic Iguanar
Bone Saw
--> Exploding Borders
Lapse of Certainty
Scattershot Archer
Hellkite Hatchling
Font of Mythos
Swamp

Pack 3 pick 9:
Unsummon
Kranioceros
--> Nacatl Savage
Valiant Guard
Grixis Illusionist
Sludge Strider
Island

Pack 3 pick 10:
--> Zombie Outlander
Darklit Gargoyle
Rhox Bodyguard
Scattershot Archer
Worldly Counsel
Swamp

Pack 3 pick 11:
Rhox Meditant
Kranioceros
Infectious Horror
--> Wandering Goblins
Mountain

Pack 3 pick 12:
--> Mana Cylix
Valiant Guard
Constricting Tendrils
Mountain

Pack 3 pick 13:
--> Wandering Goblins
Rotting Rats
Plains

Pack 3 pick 14:
--> Asha's Favor
Plains

Pack 3 pick 15:
--> Swamp

The deck

1 magama spray
1 naturalize
1 resounding roar
1 cylian elf
1 druid of the anima
1 nactal outlander
1 nactal savage
1 rip clan crasher
1 naya charm
1 ember weaver
1 macata rioters
1 quasli ambusher
1 wandering goblin
1 woolly throctar
1 expolding boarders
1 goblin raze runner
1 rhox charger
2 wild leotau
1 skeletonize
1 carrion thrash
1 welking guide
1 broodmate dragon
2 plains
1 swamp
5 mountain
6 forest
1 grixis panorama
1 jund panorama
1 naya panorama

Feedback apprecaited.
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P1P2: Skeletonize is the pick. It's better, easier on mana and it's in your colors.

P1P4: Fleshbag Marauder, especially if you'd taken the Skeletonize.

P1P5: Algae Gharial. He's bascily unstoppable when you get him to 3+ counters, and solidifies you in Jund.

From here, the draft would've gone very different. I think you really underestimate Skeletonize, it's one of the top uncommons in the set.
Bushviper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, Naya Charm > Skeletonize, plus going 4 colors is no where near hard in this block
Wiley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludz wrote:
P1P2: Skeletonize is the pick. It's better, easier on mana and it's in your colors.

P1P5: Algae Gharial. He's bascily unstoppable when you get him to 3+ counters, and solidifies you in Jund.

From here, the draft would've gone very different. I think you really underestimate Skeletonize, it's one of the top uncommons in the set.

No need for Gharial, fixing is definitely better, otherwise I think your picks are right on
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiley wrote:
Ludz wrote:

No need for Gharial, fixing is definitely better, otherwise I think your picks are right on

Remember Naya Panorama is only for 2 of your colors. Gharial seems like the correct pick.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main disagreement here comes down to preference, as ive stated many times before if a card is significantly more powerful than the other options avaliable which naya charm is Im just going to take it.
LordLink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naya Charm is the clear pick. It is ridiculously easy to splash, and at only pick 2 white could well end up a main colour.

My only comment on this is why the fuck are manaforce maces going so late? you're 4-colour beatdown, you fucking first pick it, you don't pass it at 7th pick for a near-obsolete 2-drop in your deck.. It has always been a bomb every time I've ever used it in any kind of deck, I even sided it in a bunch of times in straight B/R aggro.
asamodious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack 3 pick 7:
Mana Cylix
Frontline Sage
Salvage Slasher
--> Goblin Outlander
Constricting Tendrils
Tukatongue Thallid
Manaforce Mace
Unstable Frontier
Swamp

You passed a bomb for a two drop that was in one of your splash colors. Manaforce mace is INSANE. its INSANE!!!!...yea, did i mention its insane?
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outlander was for the sideboard, as pro white is very good vs some decks. I've asked for opinions on manaforce mace before and not really got any feedback.

From my experince of playing it the card is very, very, slow and its a real kick in the balls to spend your turn equiping it just to get your creature killed. I rate it kind of similar to quietus spike. Also in this deck most my creatures are on the large side also, so it kinda felt like overkill. Generally I only play it when my dorks are all a bit to puny to smash face with.
dv8r

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of your picks basically, although I would make a couple of different ones, but the logic is fine, and I don't completely disagree

p1p10
hate the infiltrator over plowbeast we probably won't play is an option, but sends confusing signals (I prefer taking plowbeast though)

p1p11
passing obelisk is a very strong signal to the person next to you, not sure if you need to hate it, but I'd prefer to send the signal here

p2p3
taking druid is almost always wrong, but with your current picks, I think it makes sense

p3p7
yes, mace is a bomb in the right deck, but it's not like you're lacking in fat or late game punch, outlander seems the clear pick to me

p3p8
is nature's bounty too much to ask for :S, sometimes you just have to take the fixing though, even if it costs 4.....

p3p10
at least 4 people on the table have picked incorrectly from this pack. zombie outlander is a card I consistantly take 1-3rd. darklist gargoyle gives esper a 3 power creature to trade for mostodons and hill giants

final build:
this is a clear example of a deck that should run 18 lands, I'm not sure what you cut though, maybe a non red 2 drop
dv8r

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of your picks basically, although I would make a couple of different ones, but the logic is fine, and I don't completely disagree

p1p10
hate the infiltrator over plowbeast we probably won't play is an option, but sends confusing signals (I prefer taking plowbeast though)

p1p11
passing obelisk is a very strong signal to the person next to you, not sure if you need to hate it, but I'd prefer to send the signal here

p2p3
taking druid is almost always wrong, but with your current picks, I think it makes sense

p3p7
yes, mace is a bomb in the right deck, but it's not like you're lacking in fat or late game punch, outlander seems the clear pick to me

p3p8
is nature's bounty too much to ask for :S, sometimes you just have to take the fixing though, even if it costs 4.....

p3p10
at least 4 people on the table have picked incorrectly from this pack. zombie outlander is a card I consistantly take 1-3rd. darklist gargoyle gives esper a 3 power creature to trade for mostodons and hill giants

final build:
this is a clear example of a deck that should run 18 lands, I'm not sure what you cut though, maybe a non red 2 drop
dv8r

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1p10

p1p11

p2p3

p3p7

p3p8

p3p10

final build:
MikeL123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manaforce Mace is so incredibly slow. For every story about how it broke a game wide open on turn 16, there's three more about how it lost a game on turn 7. I've won a lot of games against Manaforce Mace by killing the first creature they try to equip, and chumping the attacker the next few turns while I beat down with my 5- and 6-cc critters against their 3-cc guys. It just cripples your ability to play out your hand. It's more like a 7- or 8-cc spell that you love topdecking, but is just miserable in your opening hand. And even topdecking it still isn't that amazing due to chump blocking. Manaforce Mace is far, far, far worse than Power Armor, which allowed you you poke a guy or two through each turn and save the armor for responding to burn or making it very difficult to be attacked successfully.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im intrigued dv8r as to why you think this is an 18 land deck, the curve is relativly good, the mana fixing is also strong, we have 2 spells that need black and 4 that need white, with 2 plains a panorama and a druid plus exploding border able to get us the white mana needed for our 4 white spells and 2 panorama's 1 swamp and a exploding boarders for our black which is not going to be needed until turn 5 anyway.

I can see we do have some mana greedy cards like wandering goblin, goblin razerunner and the wild leotaus but with the boarders and the druid I felt 17 was adequate.
asamodious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manaforce mace is leaps and bounds better then spike. You should play it sometime. It wins games by itself, hands down. All of a sudden your 1/1 is now a 6/6. If your opponent is using removal on stupid dudes just to keep up, thats good for you!

Taking a card that will stay in the sideboard over the mace is ludicrous. I cant stress how good this card is, and no one ever drafts it. If your playing 4 different basic land types in your deck, its completely insane. It being slow is irrelevant, as this is a pretty slow format to begin with. The impact it will have on the game is worth the 4 mana to invest, because afterwards all you have to do is keep moving mace back and forth between and attackers and blockers, and your opponent cant do much about it besides waste good removal on shitty dudes.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2