Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to play Manaless Ichorid?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Vintage (T1) Decks
Spyx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you mulligan until you have bazaar. Some lists run serum powder to give better chances to get it. Then you get some dredgers in your graveyard, activate bazaar to and replace the draws with dredges, then discard your dredgers/bridges etc. Now you need to get 3 creatures into play, being a combination of dredged narcomoeba's, arbors and ichorids. You sacrifice them for dread return on flame kin zealot, and because of the bridges you get a lot of hasty tokens and win.
Hank333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought serum powder was mandatory to be honest. Because you have a %40 chance to catch a Bazaar of Baghdad in your first 7, and your odds go go pretty fast with a couple of mulligans.
This deck hates wastelands and pithing needles, it is very weak to them. But surprisingly fast and consistent unmolested.
Trizzy60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use mana
warp_gaming

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ROFL!

And yes, you need serum powders. Not running it is like saying "ok 3 out of every 5 games I'm going to mull, and then mull, and then lose"
Trizzy60

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when mulling with serum you get what your hand size was. . . just as it reads
Heikki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Serum Powder is a must in that list.

Ideal starting hand is something like this (on play ofc):

leyline, unmask, cabal, golgari, bazaar x2, chalice.. I played the deck in my second vintage tournament ever and came 2nd.. Lost one match with double mulligan to 2 (with Serum Powders). The list you presented is pretty bad, Powders are must and I wouldnt play shells/wraiths/titan..

The deck is very easy to "play" because you don't need to interact at all.. However you need to practise goldfishing a few times. I wouldn't recommend getting the cards, because normal healthy persons play the deck once and then never touch it again. It was fun to play the deck first 2 rounds, on round 3-4 I started hating the deck and after round 4 I wanted to kill myself.

On first turn you play bazaar, use it and discard 1-2 dredge cards. During your next upkeep you use bazaar, dredge something twice, then you dredge again on draw. Now you should have some ichorids/bridges/therapies/returns in gy. Then on turn 3 you combo out and win. Simple? Just remember to put Ichorid's ability on stack in upkeep and the use bazaar. You get more targets for it.
psu42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Bazaar of Baghdad
3 Petrified Field
2 Dryad Arbor
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath

1 Emerald Charm
4 Unmask
4 Serum Powder
4 Bridge from Below
2 Flame-Kin Zealot
2 Cephalid Sage
4 Ichorid
4 Dread Return
4 Golgari Thug
4 Golgari Grave-Troll
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Narcomoeba
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Cabal Therapy

Sideboard:
4 Contagion
4 Oxidize
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
2 Bayou
3 Emerald Charm
brazil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ck3gds wrote:
I sort of get the drift...but perhaps someone can explain to me how it works in detail? For instance, what would be the ideal opening hand?

The ideal opening hand has at least 1 Bazaar of Baghdad and 1 dredge card. Chalice of the Void and Unmask are good openers as well, but the Bazaar and dredge are the target.

ck3gds wrote:
Regarding the dredging, let's see if I got it right - I activate Bazaar of Baghdad, replace both draws with dredges, and when I get them back to my hand, I discard them again?

Yes

ck3gds wrote:
And regarding Serum Powder, won't it be worse if I use its ability? I'll end up with fewer cards to work with...or am I missing something here?

In a hand of 7, if you reveal a Serum Powder, you RFG your whole hand and then draw 7. This is as opposed to a mulligan where you would have had to draw only 6 but not RFG your hand.

ck3gds wrote:
EDIT: I found a vastly different list here (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13443.html). Do they work the same way?

There are two major archetypes for Ichorid. One is called Manaless Ichorid (the one I posted) and the other is called Mana Ichorid. They both have their own sets of pros and cons. You should look at the lists on www.deckcheck.net and www.themanadrain.com

My list is not optimal, I play Keeper most of the time and only toy with Ichorid. You might want to go with psu42's list.
Epilogue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

So chalice is really in there just for countering 0 and 1 to cast spells??
i only see the arbor as the way to pay for it. Am i missing something?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Vintage (T1) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1