Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Sucks Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic

Do you like how magic is doing right now?
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 22 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
HUH????
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

EMA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Rav Tsp had also coldsnap, hence a wider pool. Wasn't that format dominated by dragonstorm btw?
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was it dominated at all by dstorm
Balthazar88
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But except for Rav/Tsp name any point in magics long history where the metagame has been more diverse. Rav/Tsp is special and many will agree it was the best standard ever, however it was also the standard dominated by $500 manabases and Tarmogoyf.

It depends IMO. Rav/Tsp was awesome until Dralnu broke the format. Then it was really nice again after Future Sight came out, but was again horrible when 9th was replaced with 10th.

Also, I think a format can also be bad beacuse there are too many viable decks. As a tournament player, it is really horrible to test for a format when there is 10+ decks that are viable. That was the case with Rav-Tsp-10th Standard IMO, there was just too many decks that you could play.

Except for the fact that you can do pretty much whatever you want with your manabase these days, there is nothing I don't really dislike about todays Standard format. It not the best ever, but I doesn't suck either.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think magic is very good right now and I find the idea that only as few decks are viable wrong. In Kami block if you were green you could play all 5 colours or otherwise the mana fixing was so bad it's mono coloured deck for you. Note gifts ungiven was more sucessful in terms of trophies over its block season than affinity was through out mirrodin block.

The great diversity in the number of different ways to pose a question in the game now means contol decks can never blankett the whole format, equally there are enough specific answers that aggro decks also can not do the same. Equally there are good hate cards for any combo decks though wizards have done an excellent job of keeping anything to degenerate out of t2. A mass of decks ranging from all 5 colours to single colour strategies are all viable atm, I think you need to look at other reasons why you are not winning before automatically citing the format as the problem. For Example viable stratergies in T2 mono white kithkin, mono red burn, mono green elf ball, RW lark, UW lark, BW tokens, RB blightning, GB elves, UB faeries, GBW elves, RGB jund ramp, UGW bant, UWB esper lark, 5cc, variants and dark bant there was no where near so many viable decks or possible combinations due to the limiting mana base's during kami block's time.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there are so many viable strategies in Standard (because no deck beats them all), tournaments become a bit more random. Skill and a good build could take you far, but not guarantee success, because you could be unlucky and face too many bad matchups.

Since noone knows how many decks there will be of one strategy, the choice of deck will to a lesser degree be a strategy on its own. Instead players would have to choose the deck they are most comfortable with.

I like this.

I like the fact that the meta does not consist of a few big decks and antistrategies. Instead, each deck needs a selection of answers and a diversity of approach that enables them to face both proven decks and rogue decks (which actually oppose a real threat).

What the format lacks are perhaps tools for Pure aggro and Pure control to be part of the gang.

For instance something like this:

GG
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+3, shroud and trample until end of turn.
Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature into play.

(in other words something that would allow mono green aggro to trample through with less risk of 2-for-1'ing.)

3UW
Creature - Angel
3/4
Flash. Vigilance. Shroud.

(in other words a instant wincondition for counter-control decks.)
Delicious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i play only online.

The game has come to time consuming and expensive. i play online because it's free and i still get the enjoyment.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

What the format lacks are perhaps tools for Pure aggro and Pure control to be part of the gang.

3UW
Creature - Angel
3/4
Flash. Vigilance. Shroud.

(in other words a instant wincondition for counter-control decks.)

Wyden the biting gale is similar in alot of ways to the card you just suggested.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elves is obv the most fun you can have playing magic in the history of magic.

Chord of Calling is the best card ever
iKe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

GG
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+3, shroud and trample until end of turn.
Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature into play.

(in other words something that would allow mono green aggro to trample through with less risk of 2-for-1'ing.)

That would be kind of broken.

I really don't like the fact that t2 only has like 3 good decks. Being able to play a multi colored decks does not really bother me, but I do think wizards should make it a bit tougher to do so, like reprinting city of brass or forbidden orchard instead of dual lands would made things much better since playing 2+ colors will cost you more than 3 life throughout the game
plusua

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: True, but... Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
There's too many good rare mana fixing. I love how the duel lands are uncommon in Shards though.

Reflecting Pool is the biggest culprit because it's almost essential in any deck with more than 1 colour, and it's fucking $25 each. That's just really fucking unhealthy for T2.

Get a box or two of Shadowmoor booster boxes while you still can, open them up and hope for Reflecting Pools, one per box at least, maybe you'll get lucky and get 3 or even a playset. Regardless, you will get other lands and the like for trading. I'd rather buy boxes than fork $25 per card.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: True, but... Reply with quote

plusua wrote:
Jacois wrote:
There's too many good rare mana fixing. I love how the duel lands are uncommon in Shards though.

Reflecting Pool is the biggest culprit because it's almost essential in any deck with more than 1 colour, and it's fucking $25 each. That's just really fucking unhealthy for T2.

Get a box or two of Shadowmoor booster boxes while you still can, open them up and hope for Reflecting Pools, one per box at least, maybe you'll get lucky and get 3 or even a playset. Regardless, you will get other lands and the like for trading. I'd rather buy boxes than fork $25 per card.

If you buy a box to get Reflecting Pool, you won't get one. That is one thing 12 years of magic has taught me.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2