Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MWS app for Mobile phones

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS)
ZonGo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: MWS app for Mobile phones Reply with quote

Hi!
Does anybody know if there's a version of MWS for phones like the new Nokia 5800?
Craze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope
twodioz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should make a 3G app for MWS... someone get on that.
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well u can dl windows on ur iphone and then run it from there
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey gypsy

you got links to back that up

i would be very happy lol testing in work without getting sacked or using company internet would be cool
Daffie999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to play magic pretty much anywhere at any time sounds like a very very very bad idea for most.
Socks3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Then, in Spanish: "I'm not texting. I'm exercising my brain. Hey! Give my iPhone back!"

I'm all for it.
KevinJonas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what how u make play magic on a phone!!!?
ZonGo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on people!
I'm sure there's a hacker/programer amongst us..!
Just translante, or whatever you do, from ".exe" to ."symbian" =)
Socks3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that simple. .EXE is a type of binary designed for Windows compatible personal computers. Being binary, it can't easily be converted to other types of code. Therefore, it would have to be decompiled - a long process, and one that's often illegal. It is illegal with MWS, so the person who did it could be sued, or worse.

Once it was decompiled, it would need to be changed into a language the mobile platform understood. Windows Mobile, SymbianOS, and Mac OS X all use different binaries. So, once it was turned into a phone app, there's no guarantee that it would work on your phone.

Also, these programs are designed for computers with big screens, lots of memory, and fast graphics cards. Very few phones have any of these.

In addition, phones have trouble playing games over the phone network. If signal gets lost, or jumbled (with a constant string, that'll happen pretty often), the game will crash. It also becomes likely that the phone version would be unable to communicate with phones of different make or model, and computers.

So, in my opinion the only phone worth doing this for would be the iPhone and other Windows Mobile Touch Screen devices, with Push server support. Touch Screens would be necessary because there's no mouse on a phone. Try using MWS without a mouse. For these devices, it would be faster to write new code than to use existing code from MWS, even if we can get the source, because the language for MWS is likely C or C++, while Java is the standard for mobile programming, and the only language for the iPhone.

All of this amounts to: More work than it's worth, for a program that can't communicate with MWS.

EDIT: And for future reference, I'm 15. And no, I won't write it. I have a life.
ZonGo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the explanations Socks3, and for killing my dream... Playing magic through my phone using wireless... =(
And for 15 you sound really smart, you should go to university right away Wink
I feel stupid now lol.
Anyway, I'm sure someday I'll be playing magic through my mobile. It's just a matter of time Cool
Socks3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't mean to kill the dream. I'm just saying that until we have universal binaries and stable, quick connections, and someone willing to optimize for small screens, it isn't happening.

I've been told that before... I prefer the 9th grade.
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible to run a virtual windows session using xen desktop. problem is u need a server running your windows sessions unless your desktop is always on which mine is. search windows xp on iphone in google. its on its way lol
Socks3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work quite well. I don't have an iPhone (Here's wishing), but the theory stands.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1