Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My observations on Magic of the last year

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
jtmagicvnt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: My observations on Magic of the last year Reply with quote

I played Magic from when mirage came out until Urza's something came out but not competitively.I'd like to write some complaints and some good points on Magic right now and hopefully someone from Wizards will see this topic and take it into consideration. Feel free to tear this up to guys or write what you think.

I started with type 2 because I did not know the rules to a t and could go to a store nearby and play fnm.I made my own decks at first and gave good games but did'nt win much before morningtide came out. It was good and great and I kept improving and getting more cards. Then the faeries deck was able to made. Figured yea this is strong but they'll end this soon with some new cards. I made my own deck off of another variation of a deck and would beat anything but faeries every time. I was like ok they're not ending this faeries domination streak so I'll do what I originally intended and started playing Vintage and became good at it. After a million games of type 1 I'd play some legacy wich is a great format. Since I've played type 1 I've noticed they leave type 1 in some sort of state of lingo all the time.Always needing some other card to combat the current power house. And after they've done that they print some stupid cards to combat that crap. The funny thing is they've done this right before a legacy grand prix. Is this to push the type 1 players to legacy? I think they make decks so dominant to push people to other formats or make the metagame become stale to push people to type 2 where they make the majority of there money on packs. This should be a game of skill not marketing and shifting of the metagames to encourage the play of other formats. That is completely rediculous.The thing I really don't like is that they almost soley back the playing of type 2 and extended and say screw the vintage and legacy players.There is alot more that could be done for the eternal crowds.They know they can get away with this because not so many people play eternal and when anyone says anything about it especially in the chat room here all the type 2 players start talking crap. Even the type 2 players are getting dumped on because they wont do anything about faeries except let it rotate out of power and reap the rewards financially. I can imagine better metagames and think wotc is taking advantage of it's player base. Wait until the bad economy has set in and we'll probrably see the improvement then but I don't see why you need to break something then fix it instead of maintain it? If something doesnt make sense say wich part and I'll go into detail and explain it for you.
zeratul734

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i've noticed this as well. It seems like they are doing nothing but adapting the game to market new sets. Rotating out the painlands, cutting core edition reprints, and mythic rares are all just ploys to see more packs get sold. In fact, if wizards doesn't drop mythics, by the time lorwyn cycles out i'm done with type 2. I'll go back to casual and EDH with my friends.

And as for breaking and fixing, it's horrible. Had to buy morningtide for faeries, have to buy conflux to stop faeries... not to mention sets are cycling once a year now? Fix it. Now. I want my cards to say XI this july.
Craze

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My observations on Magic of the last year Reply with quote

jamestosetti wrote:
I played Magic from when mirage came out until Urza's something came out but not competitively.I'd like to write some complaints and some good points on Magic right now and hopefully someone from Wizards will see this topic and take it into consideration. Feel free to tear this up to guys or write what you think.

Yeah, because WoTC totally reads the ML forums -_-

Also try sentence structure dude. No one wants to read that massive pile you wrote. Paragraph spacing is tech.
Ggerg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic is a business.

...i'd write more, but i think that pretty much invalidates all your "arguments"
Trizzy60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you see much more interesting plays in t2 and extended. With a limited amount of cards and "tech" it seems to fluctuate more then t1.

t1 and 1.5 are very good formats and i do agree that Wizards should put more into making them a larger base of tournaments, However new players have a difficult time getting into those formats because of price and availibility of cards which also makes it a very poor format for ptqs,gps,pt and states/provs , nats and worlds.

To say fairies is the deck to beat now is rediculous. Since at kyoto it was 3rd most popular deck. Boatbrew and 5cc being 1 and 2. In addition only 1 faerie player was undefeated at the end of day 1. 24% of the field was r/w and 41% of the undefeated day 1.

Conflux did add cards that are good agaisnt faeries in wall of reverance and volcanic fallout. However it didnt stomp the deck out of existance it only reduced the powerhouse that it is.

Also
Quote:
magic is a business.
Maksym

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to understand that wizards needs to make money. The mythic rares do in fact increase booster sales but in all honesty they do not nothing to ruin the game. The type 2 format is pretty much balanced with play skill determining the majority of games and not whether you played faeries or anti faeries. Faeries weren't even that popular in Kyoto.

Without the sufficient financial resources wizards cannot afford to hire as many testers, developers, etc... Despite what people say the game is pretty much balanced now as I pointed out in the above paragraph. Someone making a rogue Doran deck can do well on the PT level with a little creativity and play skill.

Another note on the current rarity structure, it is done to get more casual players to buy packs. Younger teens as well as kids are more likely to buy packs if they have a chance of opening something special (simple marketing, the same reason that they added the chance to get tokens). This does not at all hinder competitive play or make it more difficult for serious players to start playing competitively.

Furthermore most players have no issues getting the cards they need through burrowing of cards and drafting. I started playing magic during Mirrodin block and only competitively around the end of Kamigawa. Despite this I have no problem getting cards of extended PTQ's and legacy events. As you play and establish relations with people that have been in the game for a long time your effective card pool increases allowing you to play whatever you want. I also used to draft very regularly (not so much right not due to other commitments), and simply by doing a couple drafts a week you increase your card pool. Not to mention store credit or cards that you get by actually doing well in the event/team draft.

Yes magic requires an investment of money however even at the level of play of a semi serious player, (I've done PTQ's GPs, champs, nats etc), the game is self sustaining.
ssilver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's sad but true is that Legacy and Vintage players don't buy packs for cards, that's for T2 players and maybe ext, thats why they get the love, as they are WoTC's golden goose.
jtmagicvnt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

Sorry about the grammar.If I knew how to use it I would lol. Thank you for your replies now I'll explain what I meant a little more. Eternal pro tours and grand prix's are not what I was talking about. I was thinking more a long the lines of something like fnm with less frequency or on saturday or something. They do need to do something like that and allow proxies at only those types of tournaments. For something bigger no proxies of course. I think it would definitly help everyone. I would like to hear any feedback on this.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

jamestosetti wrote:
Sorry about the grammar.If I knew how to use it I would lol. Thank you for your replies now I'll explain what I meant a little more. Eternal pro tours and grand prix's are not what I was talking about. I was thinking more a long the lines of something like fnm with less frequency or on saturday or something. They do need to do something like that and allow proxies at only those types of tournaments. For something bigger no proxies of course. I think it would definitly help everyone. I would like to hear any feedback on this.

LEARN2HITENTER

wall of text is not easy to read fyi
Craze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizards stand in no way to benefit by one deck dominating a format, in fact its the opposite as players often quit T2 or Extended(like you did) when they believe one deck is dominating the field.

Wizards does it's best to avoid this in newer sets and if they have to by banning certain key cards(affinity bannings for example.)

And if you honestly thought faeries are dominating T2, your sadly mistaken, as pointed out faeries is a popular deck, but not the most popular and certainly not unbeatable. It seems to me, you just aren't that good, and rather then adjust and become better, you merely quit T2 and switched to Eternal. Okay, whatever floats your boat, right?

So why isn't Eternal have more tournaments in it's name(esp at FNM levels?). Because for a large scale crowd like ML, theres a very small range of people that actually play the format. So think about a even smaller crowd like an fnm? You just aren't going to find that many people wanting to play it.
As pointed out, Magic: The Gathering is a business. It holds events to draw in players, thus its going to hold the more popular events over the least popular. Which for you sucks, because that means less vintage tournaments if any at all. And for the rest? It's cool. Cause we like Extended and T2.

Just My Thoughts
-TomW
Trizzy60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

jamestosetti wrote:

My two local stores hold t1 events with proxy every few weeks in addition to fnm draft tuesdays standard sundays and random saturdays. Proxies are permited in all constructed events at the cost of 25 cents, maxxing at 5$ + 10$ entry.( in addition all the proxy money is added to prize pools)
jtmagicvnt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: cool Reply with quote

I wish I lived where you do because we don't have a tounament but once a year where I'm at. I was saying that Wotc should supoort something with proxies on the smaller scale and give some very small prize support or none at all. I t would bring more people to eternal formatsThe people it would probrably target are the ones who get destroyed by the type 2 sharks and were going to quit the game entirely anyway. Plus it would help the stores out because it is definitly cool to see vintage and legacy played. I think that would be a good deal all around. I mean they could give away textell ponders or alternate art merchant scrolls anything like that. I'm just saying how cool that would be and it does seem very reasonable to me and the community has been talking about proxies anyway and if eternal formats are decreasing in players.
jtmagicvnt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: type 2 is not for me Reply with quote

For the dude who said I suck. Thank you Mayby i do but i can almost guarentee i could beat you at type 2 and I dont currently play it. I quit type 2 because I wasn't going to fork out money all the time on a format that changes every three months when I think it wasn't run properly in the first place. Plus I like more powerful spells. I am not 1 to quit something because I suck and I wasn't getting my rear handed to me in type 2 but usualy made top 8 at least. But really let's not make this personal because that's not what it was intended for. And I am really tired of type 2 players attitude of vintage sucks and and it sucks to be around.It isnt like being a type 2 player is like being vip or something. Like the other dude said you pay wotc so they listen to you. Eternal players buy there stuff from each other and are constantly lookign for a way to get more play. Thats what this topic is about.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: type 2 is not for me Reply with quote

jamestosetti wrote:
For the dude who said I suck. Thank you Mayby i do but i can almost guarentee i could beat you at type 2 and I dont currently play it. I quit type 2 because I wasn't going to fork out money all the time on a format that changes every three months when I think it wasn't run properly in the first place. Plus I like more powerful spells. I am not 1 to quit something because I suck and I wasn't getting my rear handed to me in type 2 but usualy made top 8 at least. But really let's not make this personal because that's not what it was intended for. And I am really tired of type 2 players attitude of vintage sucks and and it sucks to be around.It isnt like being a type 2 player is like being vip or something. Like the other dude said you pay wotc so they listen to you. Eternal players buy there stuff from each other and are constantly lookign for a way to get more play. Thats what this topic is about.

Its fucking next to '/" key.......
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1