Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faeries No Scion

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
BigBallin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Faeries No Scion Reply with quote

I recently played fae in the last starcitygames 5K and got 11 with 7-1-1. I am currently looking to improve the deck for upcoming events.

My List:

4 mutavault
4 secluded glen
4 sunken ruins
3 underground river
3 swamp
6 island
1 faerie conclave

4 mistbind clique
4 spellstutter sprite
3 vendilion clique
3 sower of temptation

4 cryptic command
4 agony warp
4 thoughtseize
4 bitterblossom
3 broken ambitions
2 jace beleren

SB:
2 Glen elendra archmage
2 loxodon warhammer
4 flashfreeze
4 infest
2 peppersmoke
1 vendillion clique

I personally am not a big fan of 4 thoughtseize and i believe scion of oona isn't too helpful. Out of all the cards the one that helps me the least is definitely sower of temptation. All criticism from the fellow magic-leaguers would be greatly appreciated. Help me improve the deck. Thanks for your time
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Scion of Oona really helps the Sower doesn't it?
Alandariel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to improve, you could start with adding Scion of Oona and at least 4x Thoughtseize, maybe even 5 or 6.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alandariel wrote:
Well to improve, you could start with adding Scion of Oona and at least 4x Thoughtseize, maybe even 5 or 6.

Dumbass...he already had seizes. Maybe you should read the whole post before saying the poster is stupid for writing it?

As to my own opinions. Scion is a 100% must-have, especially if you run Sowers. The reason you're finding Sowers sub-par is probably because they keep getting killed, am I wrong? So what if you could pay 3 mana to counter a removal spell, and in doing so require that a second one be aimed away from the Sower before they can kill it? But I dunno. I've been gone a while, and that 1cc elf that kills singleton Scions, and most of the rest of the faerie board, seems like a bit of a beating. It wasn't around when I played last, and I don't know if it's had much of an effect on the metagame.

Anyway, there's no reason NOT to run Scion. You're running a card that is added because of the protection Scion grants it, and you're not finding that card to be as good as it should be because you aren't running the protection. That's a strategy you ought to rethink. But if you aren't running Scion because it's a 3cc 1/1 by itself, you've got the mindset allllllll wrong. If you're running Fae and you have no creatures and no bitterblossom (that's the only time a Scion is "just a 3cc 1/1"), you lose anyway. Kinda hard to argue about that. Sower is "just a 4cc 2/2" if the other player has no creatures.

So yeah..just add the Scions. Surprised
BigBallin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i see what you are saying completely. However, the reason i dont run scion of oona is because of the current meta. He saves absolutely 0 of my guys from Volcanic Fallout/Cloudthresher. Most of the time he also gets pinged off by mogg fanatic. I found that the slots were more useful with Vendillion clique. This way turn 3 it provided a much more viable blocker as well as allowing me to filter through my opponents hand to try and get rid of those roadblocks like volcanic fallout and cloudthresher.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBallin wrote:
yes i see what you are saying completely. However, the reason i dont run scion of oona is because of the current meta. He saves absolutely 0 of my guys from Volcanic Fallout/Cloudthresher. Most of the time he also gets pinged off by mogg fanatic. I found that the slots were more useful with Vendillion clique. This way turn 3 it provided a much more viable blocker as well as allowing me to filter through my opponents hand to try and get rid of those roadblocks like volcanic fallout and cloudthresher.

Sound logic. In that case though, I might run a fourth: you want them to resolve, but having extras isn't so bad despite their being legendary, since they aren't very hard to kill. Any of the cards you mentioned could take them out fine, and it can make for some shenanigans with mistbind, even if the mistbind dies and kills off both cliques.
BigBallin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound logic. In that case though, I might run a fourth: you want them to resolve, but having extras isn't so bad despite their being legendary, since they aren't very hard to kill. Any of the cards you mentioned could take them out fine, and it can make for some shenanigans with mistbind, even if the mistbind dies and kills off both cliques.[/quote]

This is exactly why i decided to sideboard the fourth v-clique. It's also pretty good blocker against those aggro deck and can trade effectly. I also just changed the list to only run 24 lands instead of 25 lands and added a fourth broken ambitions.
zeratul734

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run the scions MD, but if i'm playing a matchup that pulls volcanic fallout, the scions/sowers hit the side. That being said, i like it for the turn 3 vs. blossom removal, and in the first game it makes the BB tokens really hurt. That way, it forces a turn 2 answer or a failed answer.

Also, in the event of a turn 2 answer, with the option is it best to redrop turn 3 or drop scion/hold for counter and drop turn 4 or later?
BigBallin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@blockmellow

If you were talking to me im sorry. There are no "crappy" cards in this deck but thanks for trying. Also, it does work. Very well actually.

@ zeratul

I used to play scions maindeck but they never really did much except in the mirror. In your post you said that it forces a turn 2 answer. So i assume you are playing first. You won't always be on the play every game. The only real removal for blossom is really esper charm as wispermare doesn't see play that much. I suppose you could always see an o-ring though. If your on the draw and you play a turn 2 blossom against say an aggro deck. If they are smart they will just deal with it during their turn while your tapped out. Thus leaving scion in your hand with no guys,while your getting attacked. If they deal with your blossom it is ideal to redrop another blossom turn 3. However if you have a scion i would keep him in my hand depending on the matchup.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faeries isn't really good at defending, with their tiny creatures. What they are good at is being a little faster than the other decks, by countering spells, chumpblocking and flying over their heads. Faeries is a tempodeck.

Without Scion of Oona, your chance of gaining tempo advantage over your opponent diminishes greatly.

And it is a very strong combo with Bitterblossom and Sower of Temptation.

Maybe you just don't need four? I doubt you need 4 Agony Warp and 3 Sowers. -1 of each and +2 Scion perhaps?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1