Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rating Conflux

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
plusua

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Rating Conflux Reply with quote

What would you rate Conflux "Overall" on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 being excellent

1 being Pretty bad
plusua

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rating Conflux Reply with quote

plusua wrote:
What would you rate Conflux "Overall" on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 being excellent

1 being Pretty bad

I'd give it a rating of : 6

Seems to me the sets 'domain' feature pushes players to play five color domain, or some other design involving basic lands. Mana screw would probably be more and more likely in limited matches and much harder to manage in a draft. Mana fixers would take up most space in decks under theses formats. I wonder how many Pro Tour events will see mana screw affect the outcome of games to come in 2009? We'll have to see.

That's my opinion, 6 out of 10, thanks.
Craze

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conflux managed to produce format changing cards like Volcanic fallout and Scepter Fugue. As well as a few cards that will be remembered long after they cycle out such as Progenitus.

This imo gives the set an 8. As it will be a big impact in Standard/Extended, but isn't quite as godly as the Mirridon block was.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As it will be a big impact in Standard/Extended, but isn't quite as godly as the Mirridon block was.

I LOLed! Conflux has PtE, a few cards that might see play like the pseudo Terravore and a fewcards that try to answer faeries. It has a bunch of hard to play creatures that will probably not see tier1 play. In Standard it will obviously have impact. Volcanic Fallout, PtE, Celestial Purge and Banefire are obvious ones. A few others will surely see play. But that's still not much. Nicol Bolas is overrated, In extended Celestial Purge is less likely to see play and PtE and Volcanic Fallout are very possible additions. Maybe even the 1/2 elf that shoots fliers against faeries. This is all far from a big impact.

As for limited I actually think fixers are better in AAC than in AAA.

Overall it gets a 5/10 for now but I might change my opinion later.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly this is far to soon to rate a set.
plusua

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
Honestly this is far to soon to rate a set.

You could be right saying that, but it's a rating score from what others may think of the set now that it is out. MTG players are careful to examine the cards and possible strategies to the current metagame. Now give us your overall rating from what you know of so far, thoughts, ideas, opinions, what have you.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not have played with conflux until its released on modo:<
Ggerg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

child of alara is obviously hot shit
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3. A couple of good cards, or at least a couple that help the meta a little, other than that crap.
yukizz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This block reminds me too heavily of Champions of Kamigawa block. Normally a good set but just released in a bad period where Llorwyn/Shadowmoor Block clearly rape it on the power level for Standard. Same goes for Extended.

On Limited however, this set looks like a lot of fun.

Constructed: 5/10
Limited: 9/10
zturchan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rate it a 9, so many deck archetypes I want to fool around with and play.
boeda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Average 7 for Conflux, it changes the meta a bit and offers good cards and new mechanics. It even has some effect on Extended so thats good too.

Personally I hoped for cards that make the overall game harder, as in more thinking and better playskill for the win.

And one of the 1st things I look for are great drawcards, since ancestral vision rotated out there hasnt been much options.
(dark confidant, phyrexian arena, careful consideration, harmonize, oh and fact or fiction.. sigh.. those were the days.)
Spyx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because of the large number of good t4 cards Smile
Gumby

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give it an 8, just because the few cards that are playable (so far), are gamebreaking.... Volcanic Fallout and Path to Exile are already nuts, and I know Scepter of Fugue is going to be huge... Not to mention the rest....

But we need to wait and see. I am VERY intrigued by Worldy Counsel, in the right deck, and a few others... I am happy with it. Conflux is no Mirrodin, but I am glad about that.
IvanDano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Conflux Reply with quote

I'd give it a 8.5/10 for Limited and for Constructed a 6 or 7.

playing any sealed with conflux brings so many possibilities and you can possibly make use of all the cards you receive because of the great mana fixing...

I can't wait to see what they dish out for Shards Reborn though Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2