Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on drafting AAC

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Thoughts on drafting AAC Reply with quote

As modosharks has sadly died Im not getting the sort of info I want about conflux as a limited set. So i thought Id start a general thread on here about the effect conflux has had on drafting.

Im intrested in hearing any pearls of wisdom the more developed the better about underated cards, cards that have gone up or down in value with the new set, new strategies anything to do with drafting conflux really, so lets get a discussion going:)
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't drafted AAC or CCC yet and only played with conflux on a pre release (got 4th out of around 70 players going 5-0-2. Both draws me and my opp were very flooded lol). From what I saw there's some new nice toys for esper in all rarities and the mana fixing got better.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a main shard with 1 ofs of both off-colour lands seems to be the best situation. Armillary sphere is probably the best card in sealed at common (yes, better than drag down). Cloudheath Drake and Sanctum Gargoyle both get better, as there are fewer branching bolts floating around.
natethetank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 color is amazing and i would force it every time. the blue and red landcycling cards are utterly nuts. the last pack has such good and plentiful manafixing i would spend the first two packs drafting trilands, panoramas and every good card i see in every color. the grixis shard should be the main part of the deck u focus one. instant removal is better then sorcery speed removal since u always want mana up and cspells are actually good in this archtype. draft big hard to deal with threats since those are how u win. worldy counsel, looter affects, straight draw spells and land thinning are the engines for this removal/cspell heavy archtype.
toor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd pack is slower by a lot. The 5c decks are just as awkward and slow as they were before (though they have a bigger reward).

Mana Cylix is already underrated in my opinion. Most of the other people that I talked with at the PreRelease many of whom are going to the pro tour say its unplayable. I have tried it once and it worked out great.

There are two reasons I think the cylix is underrated.
1) The rewards to hitting your mana in conflux are insane. So the card disadvantage it provides is easily recoupable by powerful cards you are more able to cast/use earlier.

2) It gets rid of the awkwardness when basic fetching. Since if you know you have 3 splashes and u need to fetch it can be a guessing game. Cylix gets rid of this problem.
Poopsack2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toor wrote:
I have tried it once and it worked out great.

This is being very results oriented.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it in the pre and it was decent. The card disadvantage wasn't good but it fixed my colors. It seems decent in sealed but I wouldn't play it in draft probably. I would have to test it against better opps because the pre release is full of noobs.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks for all the feedback, I guess we will have to see if mana cyclix lives upto it's story text. Please keep your insights coming, I wish I could add more to the discussion but as you know I have not actually played with any of the cards myself yet:<.

I will get a draft up as soon as conflux is out on modo in which as its my first time and all I will inevitably screw up at least 1/3 of the draft:)
ShaunD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should just get on mtgo beta with everyone in jajaja trotsky, then you could draft AAC all the time.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say be open to drafting 4 colors, with minor splashes obviously. Your colors should still have a focus like BRgu or something, but in AAA it was viable to draft good aggressive two color or two color + splash decks and this is a lot harder with so many domain-oriented spells in Conflux, and they work fine with 4 basic land types.

Exploding Borders is one of the best cards in the set IMO
Triggers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domain is redic good..

the 2/2s with first strike and a huge domain ablility are insane

Exploding boarders is one of the best cards, might of alara is just nuts too
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you still get on the beta, I would have thought by now it would be too late, I really should try and get on next time I think as its certainly a massive advantage.

I liked the aggresive two coloured decks will be sad to see them go.:<
SuperDelfin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think sticking with one shard is the way to go, or splashing one or both of your off colors for abilities/domain effects, but not full out 5 color.

The common that really stands out to me so far in the drafts I've done is Aven Squire. Essentially a 2/2 flier for 1W early on that gives your guys the lovely exalted bonus in the late game. Also, an underrated common is Asha's Favor. Yes it's an aura which can lead to some problems, but putting it on an outlander or some creature that's large enough to avoid most of the removal in the format can lead you to win a lot of games.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaunD wrote:
you should just get on mtgo beta with everyone in jajaja trotsky, then you could draft AAC all the time.

Actually no. They realized people used beta to train drafting and this time decided to make random cards draft with like 50% conflux cards 50% all the other cards and it's useless to test. I hope people stop playing this beta to make them realize this is stupid and they'll actually get to beta test way less like this.
Ggerg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toor wrote:

Mana Cylix is already underrated in my opinion. Most of the other people that I talked with at the PreRelease many of whom are going to the pro tour say its unplayable. I have tried it once and it worked out great.

There are two reasons I think the cylix is underrated.
1) The rewards to hitting your mana in conflux are insane. So the card disadvantage it provides is easily recoupable by powerful cards you are more able to cast/use earlier.

2) It gets rid of the awkwardness when basic fetching. Since if you know you have 3 splashes and u need to fetch it can be a guessing game. Cylix gets rid of this problem.

it's not about the card disadvantage. it's about the tempo you loose. it's very hard to tap out turn 2 and turn 3 and win that game.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2