Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Asylum Rant - Rant 8 - An interview with SilverMcHowl

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: The Asylum Rant - Rant 8 - An interview with SilverMcHowl Reply with quote

Rules of the Asylum
Rule 1. There are no real point to these
Before you yell troll, realize that I'm actually writing something that can be discussed, thus its not spam. BUT if you are to ask me why you should read this, I have no answer.

Rule 2. Nothing I say or do has any direct or indirect relation to this or any other magic league

Rule 3. These are my opinions, not yours.
Feel free to tell me yours.

now on to my rant...

For those of you who don't know, I used to do an article similar to The Asylum Rant, called The Random Report. These were an extremely big hit and basically they were me interviewing people who I thought made a huge impression on the league.
And then my third rant, a few months ago, I interviewed Weedmonkey and that was a whole lot of fun and a big hit. So naturally after weeks of the same subject being brought up in dozens of channels I decided to interview the current player who has ML up in arms: SilverMcHowl. A hero to some and lucksack to others Silver broke the glass ceiling on whats expected in competitive magic and created a deck that currently dominates Standard and has a decent running in Extended: Naya Aggro.

But Craze... why don't you interview me?

Because you are boring. So lets get on with it...

The Random Report, Asylum Style: SilverMcHowl

Craze:
ok whats your full name?

Silver:
;_; Creepy internet stalkers..... Michael McGahey

Craze laughs

Craze:
and where are you from? You know so the stalkers can limit down their search.

Silver:
Currently living in Scotland

Craze:
ah cool I've never talked to anyone from Scotland before

Silver:
Ha! Good luck trying, I can barely understand most people here.

Craze:
ok so you joined ML last November, right?

Silver:
Sounds about right.

Craze:
and I looked up your rating, and it looks like it wasn't until January that you really got going on a good streak

Silver:
I think i started a good streak with Jungle Lions can't Intercept. My naya deck sucked in the beginning

Craze:
yeah I noticed. I actually wrote it down, your first real victory was January 15th when you placed second in a T2 trial with Naya

Silver:
Think that was after I added the Pipers

Craze:
which kinda throws a sock into the whole "I can't believe he uses Elvish Piper" thing

Silver:
It's honestly not the best of cards. Its just using a horrible card in a situation where it's good.

Craze:
yeah which alone really isn't a strange concept, yet it still blows people away all the time.

Silver:
Well yeah, people aren't used to decks that don't have 4 of each overpowered card.

Craze:
so you placed second, and then 4 days later won a standard trial and I think thats really when your deck hit the radar

Silver:
It was expected back then though. A "rogue" deck out of now where in a standard tournament isnt that uncommon.

Craze:
Right and right now I'm just establishing that you were doing pretty good in Standard. And then what? you saw an Extended tourney and said "what the hell, lets see how my deck does there?"

Silver:
XD No no... See, I wanted to learn extended, but everytime i downloaded a net deck it turned out to be legacy.

Craze laughs

Silver:
Not sure what my problem was, But i'd download a deck, enter a tourney, and have to forfeit the first round. And it was getting old.
So i was like fuck it, standard is still extended legal.

Craze:
and so you got second, and it wouldn't really be that big of a deal if every single "expert" on ML didn't instantly point it out and yell "lucksack" at you.

Silver:
So I tried again. Its one of those things where if you fail, everyone knows your a lucksack, But if you succeed.. Luck sack or not your a "hero."

Craze:
lol yea well I think your a hero mostly because you kinda made every **** in this league eat his words.

Silver:
Well, I only wanted the assholes to eat their words. There are some good players that weren't jerks when they were expressing their views.

Craze:
welcome to the internet lol

Silver:
Do you have cake?

Craze laughs

Craze:
lol One particular guy who really ate his words is Tugachampion, who to this day still claims you are a huge lucksack.

Silver:
You know what bothers me about that. Even though he constantly says I'm a luck sack, He's the only "troll" that actually tries to justify his arguements.

Craze laughs

Silver:
He does make a few good ones. Even if they get shot down now and then and In that sense I actually like Tuga. Despite him using a deck he's sure to win against me, he's not a bad sportsman, and hes not some retarded kid spurting cuss words on the forums.

Craze:
Like those guys who just call you a lucksack because they can't win WITH extended decks?

Silver:
Smile Indeed. So yeah, on that note with Tuga, he's that **** you actually like. He can still suck my balls though Smile

Craze:
ok so just in case one of my readers have been living under a rock, explain how you came to make Naya and what it does.

Silver
Oh wow, already posted the entire back ground on the forums already, So unless you really want me to repeat?

Craze:
eh I'll give a link to your thing, but go ahead and sum it up

Silver:
Realm Razer just caught my eye as a winning card, so every other card in the deck was added to aid it. All the deck is designed to do is to remove my opponents lands, Get realm in, and Win.

Craze:
lol yeah, and in that sense Elvish Piper becomes a pretty good tool.

Silver:
Indeed. He's also a nice diversion

Craze:
So do you have any other decks?

Silver:
That I use or of my own?

Craze:
either or

Silver:
There's a fun UWG merfolk deck i use, I tried creating some milling decks But there just currently not that strong in standard at the moment. It's Merfolk or sorceries and you cant use both, its even harder that way.

Craze:
yeah so what do you think of Magic-League so far, being as you just joined 4 months ago or so??

Silver:
Despite people saying there are better players in real life and in PTQs, I honestly think ML has some of the best players. I have a few "pro" friends that I got to play a couple people and they got their asses kicked. Mainly cause they weren't expecting stuff. It might be because i can't play WoW at the moment, but ML has been a great source of entertainment for me while at school.

Craze:
yeah I think the reason people say that is because there are some bad players and then there are some decent players who think they are EXTREMELY good and so everytime they lose they go on this huge rant about how there are sooo many bad players and after you hear that rant 4-5 times a day, the view of the competition here kinda lowers.

Silver:
Yeah

Craze:
yeah I think thats probably one of the biggest problem with the league, is that over 40% of the players are like that and then you got 50% who just wanna play or whatnot but having to hear how big of a noob you are every time you win, just sucks. And then you have the 10% like you who just says "fuck it" and breaks the glass ceiling.

Silver:
Ah, you know what really irks me
"LOLOLOL WHY YOU PLAY SUCH A SHITTY DECK"
"COMON, PLAY SOMETHING SERIOUS"
"DUDE JUST FORFEIT... YOU SUCK"
"you didnt lose cause your a better player, my deck crapped out."
<Player Lost>

Craze laughs

Craze:
It's like they think if they harass you enough it will take away the fact that you beat them

Silver:
Or they hope it'll have you make a mistake, Or players that quit third round once they see that they've lost and report 1-1. <cough>sorot</cough>

Craze:
lol So you have said you are going to attend the upcoming UMLNDC? And I'm bringing up my current big project: The Unoffical Magic-League Netdecker Conference, because it could use publicity and hell I just can.

Silver:
Now first, whats the UMLNDC? and this netdecker conference, i'm asumming its online right?

Craze:
Yes, It's another project I do, kinda like the Asylum Rant, and basically the original idea was to do it every time a new set comes out. But I'm lazy and things have stopped me.

Silver:
Laziness kills

Craze:
right, so this will be the third in the past 3 years or so. But basically I'm going to be splitting people up into several 4-6 man groups and each group will brainstorm and come up with an idea for their given format. Then build a deck, and then test and edit that deck against the popular decks and test and edit some more

Silver:
Oh that'll be fun Very Happy

Craze:
And then I'll switch the decks, so another group will test your groups deck.and so overall these decks get a lot of different views and really get a good run through and hopefully we end up with several really good decks.

Silver:
interesting

Craze:
and of course it's all gonna be Conflux so the possibilities are enormous and right now I'm trying to grab "ML celebrities" if you will so the turn out will be as big as possible.

Silver:
Oh wow, thats different, I haven't even looked at conflux yet, but meybe... just meybe theres something in there that'll make purity shine.

Craze:
Yeah the set has some interesting potential. And Tugachampion just signed up, so it should be very interesting.

Silver:
He a net decker or creater?

Craze:
Netdecker. So tell me what do you do outside of magic?

Silver:
Draw. Sadly thats about it at the moment. I used to be a huge gamer before I left for university, i still game some on my laptop, but i've been wasting a few years not working on art.

Craze:
ah an artist, are you any good?

Silver:
http://www.tarnishedpath.com/moo/moo.swf
Not yet, give me a few more months.This past two months, i've made more improvement then i have in any single year. That right there is from 3 years ago but the most recent thing I have up.

Craze:
ooh a cat person

Silver:
Yeah, i tend to draw "furry" stuff

Craze laughs

Silver:
I do web design currently as a job, so i figured I needed to focus more on art and less on video games

Craze:
ah yeah? Web Design is a pretty good job, I know like a dozen people who need someone to create websites for them including a certain mtg league who I won't mention, *cough*temple*cough*

Silver:
I do it professionally, so I'm more company oriented. Despite being a programmer for the past 4 years, when it comes to web design, I'm more graphic design oriented then site function. But yeah, I haven't look at their site.

Craze:
it's not worth looking at really, it's like a 15 person league.

Silver:
Oh, like a children's baseball league?

Craze:
lol Yeah kinda in comparison to ML anyways. The biggest excitement there really is you can find Jorbes there I guess

Silver:
Jorbes?

Craze:
Hes the current programmer for OPT

Silver:
OPT being?

Craze:
The mtg program that when it's finished, if it ever becomes finished, will replace mws. ML supported him for a while, but they won't switch over till he finishes it, and so now he hangs out over there.

Silver:
ah Sad. I dont think people have the same drive as they used to when it comes to software development. I'm toying with the idea but...I wouldnt mind making my own. Something this simple could be done in VB.

Craze:
well the thing is that it's not simple, mws set the bar pretty high. And now a new one would have to have to use servers, have multiplayer, a better limited system...

Silver:
I disagree. Smile I've done software design for the military for the past 4 years. And Mulitplayer is WHY i want to do it.

Craze:
So many people try and never finish and years go by without a real useable version ever coming out.

Silver:
Requirements creep Razz

Craze:
Yeah I'd love to be able to play a Two-Headed Giant Draft. I think really it's hard to expect someone to ever complete it, and at this point I don't have any expectations for OPT. Although ML still does
as you can see here:
http://www.magic-league.com/news/323/update_for_opt.html

Silver:
My worry is that I sit down and start working on something and then OPT or another will be complete.

Craze:
lol well then you just make OPT into Apprentice. Because the second the thing releases someone is going to say "oh well you should of added this" and then the bar raises. And thats of course assuming that it ever really is finished which as I said I don't have any hopes for.
Theres another mtg program out there also called OCTGN.

Silver:
heard of that, any good?

Craze:
Well like OPT it has massive potential, but it's never going to be finished.
http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8442
This one is open source so anyone can grab it any finish it. Honestly I haven't heard about it since it released its ALPHA version which wasn't complete or at least not complete enough for ML anyway.

Silver:
What I want is something that doesn't crash Razz

Craze:
Well this was fun, anything else you'd like to add?

Silver:
Hmm...Yesh! I had one of those loses that was so epic you actually felt good about losing in todays trial, went up against a kithkin deck, in which I usually know how to handle myself.

Craze:
yeah?

Silver:
i did not expect that after getting attacked by three 1/1 white spirit tokens, being unable to declare blockers, Nothing to be scared of right? My wilt-leige got Mirrorweaved.

Craze laughs

Silver:
Thats what ML needs more of! Not gradual wins but one card wins that throw you off.

Craze:
Yes, when you have that type of match where it's back and forth and 1 card makes the entire difference. Thats generally a memorable fun experience.

You can find SilverMcHowl in #magic-league. And you can find out more about UMLNDC in it's thread:
http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/about11065.html
or by pming me on irc.

Until next time,
I'm Craze and you are not.

-TomW
Bigshow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomW is a whore Surprised
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it could have been worse for me.

Quote:
did not expect that after getting attacked by three 1/1 white spirit tokens, being unable to declare blockers, Nothing to be scared of right? My wilt-leige got Mirrorweaved.

Mirrorweave is a very powerful card that you should really play at least 2 in Kithkin. And yes it's always nice to hit your opp's cenns, cloudthreshers, lieges, or even anything with 4 power like gauger, plumeveil or colossus. There are also many nice tricks with it few people actually know.
Delicious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like silver's deck. I have been playing it with a few of my own modifications and it is doing very well in testing. I just wanted to thank Silver for pioneering this naya aggro deck and hopefully conflux can bring more to it
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1