Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quillspike Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
FusionFire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Quillspike Control Reply with quote

// Lands
3 Flooded Grove
4 Vivid Creek
3 Seaside Citadel
3 Vivid Grove
2 Vivid Meadow
2 Mystic Gate
4 Reflecting Pool
2 Wooded Bastion

// Creatures
4 Devoted Druid
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Quillspike
3 Reveillark
4 Mulldrifter
2 Cloudthresher

// Spells
3 Firespout
3 Esper Charm
2 Condemn
1 Soul's Fire
4 Cryptic Command
3 Wrath of God

// Sideboard
SB: 3 Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 4 Guttural Response
SB: 3 Sower of Temptation
SB: 1 Soul's Fire
SB: 1 Primal Command

now I know most of you are like wtf!!! but I have tested this against alot of the top decks and it does quite well cause a) people don't expect it and b) it has multiple win conditions

1) Typical control - cloudthreser beat down
2) Quillspike Combo (attack or Soul's Fire)
3) Quillspike + Devoted + Condem!!! = A LOT OF LIFE (just make sure they will deck before you do)

Test it out and give me some ideas, I have had same decent success but would be curious to see if anyone has any other ideas to make it better...maybe ideas to dig

(Updated to include Soul's Fire)

Last edited by FusionFire on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't rely on having massive amounts of life to deck them out. The reason is not that this does not work, but that without some form of mill it takes too much time in a tournament.

However, it gives you plenty of time to set up the quillspike combo.

... Which in your case needs three turns to set up! First you play Devoted Druid, then Quillspike, then you wait another turn till you can attack. Eventually you tap out and play both the same turn. And then, if they have Bitterblossom tokens or any other blocker out, it is just chumped. You need Rite of Consumption or Soul's Fire in there otherwise the combo does nothing. If you have a ready Devoted Druid in play, you need 5-6 mana to go off that very turn. I would suggest Soul's Fire since it is nice with Reveillark and Cloudthresher (Kitchen Finks should be in there).
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can always play a good deck.
hawt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ugaChampion
Posted: 07 Jan 2009 12:42 Post subject:
Or you can always play a good deck.

lol i agreed
FusionFire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-1 UB Faeries
3-0 Wr Revilark
3-2 5c Control
5-1 BW Tokens
3-1 Discard
3-0 Mono Green
3-1 Mono White
4-1 Mono Red

And these were all people who have Multi Top 8 spots at PTQs and States (in New York). All were played in store and were 2/3 matches w/SB.....

omg the deck must be horrible to be performing well against those decks with good players.......

and i find it funny how the two people that posted, have less than desirable constructed ratings....

and before u attack my ratings go look at the last time I played
2006!!!

Test the deck and then give constructive criticism or shut it.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and i find it funny how the two people that posted, have less than desirable constructed ratings....

LOOOOOOOOL I used to have over 1800 in here but due to some bad luck and also having tried several not very good decks in extended it dropped alot. I'm 1806 constructed and 1860 Limited IRL and I have had 1900 in each before.

Good players playing mono green and discard?! ROFL

And I hope mono white is kithkins otherwise that's another random deck.

I like how you expect to draw that 1of soul's fire. Seriously that's just almost a 5c control with some horrible cards and an unlikely to perform combo.

Oh and I almost forgot: why don't you ask those pseudo pros for help? If they are that good they should be able to help you better than any random like me.
X_MaSoN_X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brion stoutarm?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1