Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Black Control type 2 ALA

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Ownj00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you definitely want thoughtseize somewhere. and i'm almost positive that you want mind stones in the main.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouger isnt a very good card for control because it has no versatility whatsoever in what you can do with it... you can have it attack or just sit there and not be able to block... Graveborn Muse is good.... Thoughtseize should definitely take the place of the Distresses... and Infest should be in the main because this deck lacks mass removal (Put like 3 nameless and a terror in side or something)...GL with the deck, ive always been a big fan of MBC
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i disagree with having Mind Stones due to the fact they wont contribute to casting Demigod
Spyx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shriekmaw > terror?
Egnirys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of MBC myself and have been playing around with a similar deck.

I would say definitely Thoughtseize in there over Distress.
I like Shriekmaw over Terror as well for extra beatdown especially against Planeswalkers (Fear)

Also I like Hypnotic Spectre over Gouger and Liliana over Mind Shatter, but then Nameless Inversion is no good... too big a change

Some Leechridden Swamp could help a little
Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stillmoon Cavallier is indeed much better choice than Gouger. If you dont have money, then Id consider something else, like hypno. Maybe even Fulminator Mage main. Bitterblossom would be good but I take it you cant afford them. Smile
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest maybe running 2 corrupt in the side. its a black damage spell for 6 (seeing as youre running demigod at 5, 6 shouldnt be too much of a problem) and its some added lifegain if you face off against rdw or burn in general.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play 4 x Bitterblossom. Thoughtsieze and Raven's Crime sould also be in the main. Shriekmaw and Profane Command must be 4 in the main. Infest is a meta call.
tinman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: replys Reply with quote

you could diversify your lands a little bit

the black man land may not be great but him and mutavault seem like extra win conditions you could easily fit into a mono colored deck

also imo profane command is a far superiour card to corrupt but it would depend on how many times your dying to your own damage effects.

finally depending on the meta you are playing at execution capsule or shriekmaw might make a far superior choice to terror

just some ideas to bounce around Smile

later info superhighways tinman
X_MaSoN_X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
20 [UNH] Swamp
4 [EVE] Fetid Heath

// Creatures
1 [LRW] Liliana Vess
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
4 [SHM] Fulminator Mage
4 [SHM] Demigod of Revenge
4 [EVE] Canker Abomination
3 [10E] Hypnotic Specter

// Spells
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [10E] Distress
2 [MOR] Mind Shatter
4 [10E] Rain of Tears
3 [MOR] Bitterblossom

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 2 [10E] Wrath of God
SB: 3 [LRW] Wispmare
SB: 4 [10E] Caves of Koilos
SB: 2 [10E] Cruel Edict

What I have been using very effectively.
Tink903

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might wanna try out divinity of pride for some more lifegain to offset the muse and thoughtseize and if you have them blossoms
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hinting at the changes without posting the list. You don't really need the Mutavualt but if you buy them for the deck you will have them for any deck!

You can't build a MBC deck in current Standard. You can build a pretty good aggro control deck though. You can make it really budget also.

Assassins

20 Swamp
4 Mutavault *

4 Fulminator Mage $
4 Murderous Redcap $
4 Scarblade Elite
4 Shriekmaw $
4 Nekrataal $

4 Profane Command $
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Thoughtseize *
4 Bitterblossom *

SB: 4 Rain of Tears
SB: 3 Raven's Crime
SB: 4 Bottle Gnomes
SB: 4 Festercreep

* You can sub out the cards above for cards that have the same effect or in the case of Bitterblossom and Mutavualt sub out for swamps and Demigod

$ Spend your gaming $ here. All of them are good cards that will be break the bank.
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything in the spoiler to help any mono colored decks. It does look like 5 Color Control is going to get some over the top cards.

With all of this in mind MBAC could be very good. Just the disruption that playing mono play offers makes it a very tempting choice.

The sideboard would need to be retuned for the rebirth of 5 Color Control.

What the deck needs is card drawing. It would be worth a blue splash just for card drawing. It is a shame that we don't have any blue cards worth splashing.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, your deck is very slow and have no instant removal, mass removal, draw, card advantage or any other control aspect.

That won't work. Your deck plays more like aggro/combo which doesn't care about what happens on the board.

You need Infest, Nameless Inversion, Shriekmaw and Unmake if you are going to survive against a faster deck.

You need Thoughtseize, Mind Shatter and Scepter of Fugue if you are going to survive against a control deck.

You need Bitterblossom against both.

1 Oona, Queen of Fae
4 Divinity of Pride
4 Stillmoon Cavalier
4 Scarblade Elite

4 Bitterblossom

1 Liliana Vess

2 Scepter of Fugue
1 Loxodon Warhammer

2 Corrupt
2 Profane Command
2 Unmake
3 Infest
4 Nameless Inversion

21 Swamp
4 Leechridden Swamp

Demigod does nothing if you don't have the initiative. Divinity of Pride is much better in this kind of deck. Especially if it gets the Warhammer on it.

Viscera Dragger is a cc4 minotaur. Don't play it.

Ashenmoor Gouger, as has been pointed out before, won't outrace anything on its own and should not be found in a control deck.

A cc7 spell should win the game. Absorb Vis does not.

(MBC w/coffers used Corrupt btw)
zeratul734

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props on promoting MBC!

I love the way this deck runs. It's mean, it's fast, it's versatile, and it's fun as hell (from the looks of it).

When i'm done/sick of running faeries, i'm probably going to swap the BB and thoughtseize into here: most of the cards are relatively budget-ish at that point, other than stillmoon and whatever finisher you so choose to run.

I just think it sucks that they decided to take grixis, which acts like it's actually a mono-black shard, and made it UBR. I mean seriously, every bit of cruel ultimatum screams "black". That would have been an awesome finisher in this deck Sad
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3