Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hopefully keeping faeries in check -- Volcanic Fallout

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question-

Why put something to help vs Fae in a color that already usually has good matchups vs Fae? As well as restricting the mana cost on RR making it harder to splash.

And I don't think this will help vs Kithkin much, seeing as how red already has Pyroclasm/Firespout yet still has trouble vs Kithkin via Forge-Tender. And Forge-Tender can stop this as well.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point on the RR and uncounterable.

I still don't like how the only card that hoses Fae to an extent fits into RDW variants, an archetype that already has good game vs Fae.

Hopefully there will be more in the spoiler.
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdw doesnt rly have game more than any other deck vs fae if the fae player knows how to play properly
rdeg87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get the argument, the colour red is in plenty of decks, its not just RDW.

This card "could" push 5 Colour Control to the top of the pile. If it gives them a good matchup against the Fae. Then it doesnt really have a bad matchup
floreskiller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this card doesn't belong in RDW at all. First of all, it's a 3 drop which conflicts with Gouger and/or Ram-Gang, Flame Javelin, and pumping your Figure of Destiny to the ever-important 4/4 status. Making a big threat on turn 3 is very important in this current Standard environment. I would much rather pump my Figure than play this any day.
However, I think rdeg87 has something in using it as 5c Control. With today's manabases, it's _very_ possible to fit it as a Firespout replacement against Faeries, one of the deck's worse matchups.
Craze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow the title of this thread sounded like a story...

Some wizard casting a volcano spell to get rid of all the blasted faeries!?
Ownj00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what we've heard from r&d members about the set there are multiple "anti-faeries" cards, and they mentioned something about an "anti-bitterblosom" card as well, which i'm pretty sure this is not.

this definitely seems like it has potential in 5c. instant speed is probably more exciting then "cannot be countered" on this card as well.
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play Blightning Aggro over RDW and the whole life is easier. Very Happy The card is good, but I stay at Infest. Faerie is 50-50 with the Blightning deck which is enough nowadays when every other is over 60-40. Only need an anti-blossom and things can't go wrong. Smile
FreshVeggies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another set won't fix this crappy Type 2. I'm waiting on the next block...
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should magic cards be discussed in the t2 deck section?
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoTC is making a big mistake printing that card. They shouldn't print cards to house certain archetypes and give those archetypes no way to deal with that houser.

And to be fair T2 is better with faeries than without them. Imagine no faeries in T2. Now 5c has several main deck and sideboard slots open for all other decks. 5c can beat any deck it really wants. After all it abuses the absurd interaction between vivid lands, reflecting pool and filter lands playing spells costing 1UUU than 2GGGGG and than UUBBBRR. Faeries is good enough and different enough from the other decks making 5c having to worry about enough different things so it can't beat all decks. Remove faeries from T2 and you'll have all rounds going to time with stupid 5c mirrors.

If anything needs a ban in T2 it isn't Bitterblossom it's Reflecting Pool or vivid lands.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughtseize yes but it might not hit it and they'll eventually draw another. Vendillion Clique will most likely be wiped out as well as any other faerie friends in response.

Balanced formats are usually boring formats. Any format needs some kind of imbalance and with 5c in the format that imbalance is even more important. If 5c has less decks to be worried about it will dominate.

Faeries is no even the best deck anymore. It loses to Kithkin maindeck (with SB it can raise to 50/50 or even 60/40 with enough hate) and it loses to Monored and Rb. The new 2 decks BW tokens and RW Lark also have a good match up against faeries. RW Lark is actually the best deck right now because it beats everything else and has access to many cards to make each match up easier.

A card like Howling Gale would have been a way better hate card. It is counterable so it still gives them a chance however they have to counter it twice. And also it would hurt less other creature decks (seriously there are enough board sweepers in all colors that can have them).
JeZeus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuga Is correct. A lot of people may disagree with him saying faeries is not the best deck right now. They would be wrong. It is just the most played. I play 5cc all the time, and faeries is probably its worst match, even with threshers. So giving it more cards to hurt them seems silly.The next set will make t2 pretty lame if they hose faeries so bad.

As for general thoughts on the card, Its neat but kind of boring. It is really anything new or innovative. More or less the same old mechanics re-hashed. I haven't even checked the spoiler, but I hope they have something more exciting.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The format does not need bans. Faeries is the most played deck because it has close to 50/50 matchup vs anything, if the draw is okay. The other decks can hate it and win, and then everything is alright again.

The imbalanced cards, if any, are Bitterblossom, Reflecting Pool and Reveillark.

The next t2 tournament list you come across, notice that the only deck not playing any of those is Kithkin. Also count the number of Bitterblossoms and Reflecting Pools in the tournament.

I also dislike the fact that a resolved Reveillark 3-for-1s (or better) in almost all cases regardless of what happens. For 4W and that body, it is overpowered. Don't misunderstand me here - the decks it is played in are not overpowered, but that is thanks to the creatures it is played with, not itself. With no Extirpate or similar card available in the format, and no way to prevent its ability to take effect, graveyard abuse is too powerful in the current meta.
DaveK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jund Charm wants to have a word with you
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2