Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Priority

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
miguel_sp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Priority Reply with quote

Im sorry if is a stupid question but im kind of newbie and i dont understand two actions that i see playing and i dont know if they are legal...

1) I always thougth that when a player plays one spell on the main phase when the stack is empty (creature, enchantment, artifact or sorcery) he always pass the priority to player 2 , but the other day i was playing, and my op play a creature and says "i want to still kept the priority" and plays an instant, is that legal? You can play one sorcery and kept the priority to play an instant, so then pass the priority?

2) I always thought that you can play an instant card at any moment, with the only restriction that you can play it when you have priority, ok? But if you have lose the priority, you still can play an instant before spells get resolved? Example: i were playing and after 6 spells my op play tendrils of agony, that will make 14 damages, he says response? so he was giving me the priority, i said no, so the spells must resolve, isn`t? He plays an instant and i told him that the spells must resolve before he could play anything, he says he could gain priority again. Is that legal?

Sorry again if are stupid questions, see ya! And thanks!
Blaylock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes, the active player may keep priority after playing a spell. usually there's no need to so people are used to respond imediately.

2) No, he can't. if he passed priority and you passed too, then the last spell/ability on stack will resolve imediately. Then players get priority again.

Last edited by Blaylock on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
OldBear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to the first one is yes you can hold priorty as long as you say you are doing so, or for most of us by holding ctrl.

The second one he asks you for a response to clearly has passed priorty, if you say okay your right, you've both passed priorty so the spell resolves, he does not get another window to do something in, he would if you had any response to the spell.
Blaylock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, you don't have to say you want to keep priority if you're the active player. The "game" automaticly gives it to you after you play an ability/spell.

In MtgO, default configuration is to pass priority always after playing a spell so you have to hold ctrl key to keep it.
I think this doesnt happen for abilities but I might be wrong since I dont use it in a while.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that with Tendrils of Agony, there is actually something else still on the stack, the storm trigger. So when he asks for responses and you pass, the top item of the stack resolves, which is the storm triggered ability which makes a bunch of copies. Before each copy resolves, both players get priority again.
miguel_sp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all answers!! I learn something new today Very Happy so you can keep it when you play one spell but if you pass the priority when your opponent pass to yourself again the spells resolve, thanks again!
ChiDoRiE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually with the tendrils
technically each player passes priority with each copy of the spell on the stack
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you do. As per the shortcuts section of the penalty guidelines, when a player plays a spell or ability, he's assumed to be passing priority unless he explicitly says otherwise.

Blaylock wrote:
Technically, you don't have to say you want to keep priority if you're the active player. The "game" automaticly gives it to you after you play an ability/spell.

In MtgO, default configuration is to pass priority always after playing a spell so you have to hold ctrl key to keep it.
I think this doesnt happen for abilities but I might be wrong since I dont use it in a while.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite. Nobody 'puts' triggered abilities on the stack. The game does that, right before anyone would gain priority. So you can't always respond to your own triggered abilities first. It depends on who was getting the priority when the game interjected and first adding the triggered abilities.

I'll give an example: I play a blue spell in your turn, this triggers your Eyes of the Wisent. Now, since I played something, I'm getting priority again, however, since the triggered ability wants to be put on the stack, that is put on the stack first and then I gain priority.

The rest is correct though.
Crevette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:
Now, since I played something, I'm getting priority again,

I thought that was the active player who get the priority first, and then the non-active player ??
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1