Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RW Random

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: RW Random Reply with quote

My current T2 deck

// Lands
4 [MOR] Mutavault
4 [10E] Terramorphic Expanse
7 [SHM] Plains (2)
7 [LRW] Mountain (1)
2 [ALA] Naya Panorama

// Creatures
3 [10E] Siege-Gang Commander
4 [ALA] Vithian Stinger
2 [ALA] Bull Cerodon
1 [EVE] Archon of Justice
1 [ALA] Battlegrace Angel
2 [ALA] Hell's Thunder

// Spells
2 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
2 [10E] Wrath of God
2 [10E] Pyroclasm
2 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
1 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
2 [10E] Pithing Needle
2 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant
2 [10E] Lava Axe
2 [10E] Incinerate
2 [MOR] Titan's Revenge
1 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
3 [ALA] Magma Spray

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
SB: 1 [10E] Wrath of God
SB: 1 [10E] Pyroclasm
SB: 1 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 1 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
SB: 1 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 4 [EVE] Duergar Hedge-Mage
SB: 4 [SHM] Fulminator Mage

I made this deck randomly and it's playing well. Much better than expected, which is why I posted it. I made it by setting the MWS filters to R, W, artifacts and lands, and just picking cards I liked. I was sick of trying to metagame a rogue deck.

I think one of the strengths of this deck is its maindeck hosers (like relic of Progenitus and Pithing Needle), and the fact that is has no obvious plan of attack, making it hard to play against.

Titan's revenge is working absurdly well. Tell me what you think, this is distorted list that needs tuning, esp the board. Thx.
JLobes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd run 4 battlefield forges, toss the panoramas and lose 2 of the terramorphic expances
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs more Ajani Vengeant
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gogo Bull Cerodon! Imo make numbers more consistant... you have like a trillion 1 and 2 ofs...archon and battlegrace as 1 ofs seem weird... maybe turn archon into a 2nd battlegrace or the other way around?
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the randomness and being hard to play against. My buddy threw a deck together with the better Charms and 3 color creatures, and some other crap and its doing quite well. Its one thing after another you don't expect.
jazzbat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that randomness can sometimes be an advantage. It's difficult for your opponent to see many of your cards in the first game. Sometimes it's a good idea to play 2 each of two similar cards as opposed to 4 of one card.

You gain flexibility but you do lose some of the streamlining. Either can be an advantage depending on what your opponent(s) are expecting.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can it be tuned when there is no machinery, no engine working?

First of all, drop the Terramorphic Expanse/Crucible of Worlds strategy. Replace those 4 lands with manlands. This will leave 2 spaces open.

Maindeck answers against specific threats is a bad strategy because you will have dead cards in hand in every matchup. So Relic -2, Archon of Justice +2.

Lava Axe is terrible. -2 and +2 Incinerate

Hell's Thunder is a good card, and very unexpected in this deck. Its use is very narrow, though - in a deck that thrives on threat/answer diversity. I would use a creature that can block in its stead.

Vithian Stinger would be good if targeted removal had to be aimed at several must-deal-with threats instead, but they are few and far between in your deck.

So yes, in general, I want to see more powerful cards in your deck, so that it becomes more like a R/W Good Cards deck. Then it would be even more difficult to deal with.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the deck looks some what well rounded. Little of everything that has multiple uses for different matchups.
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. I was expecting a barrage of flamers, but you have all had positive feedback. I will take your suggestions and comments into consideration.

The relics have been playing well just because it's a cheap cantrip out of landscrew or it just completely fucks up my opponent, I'm sure I will keep them in. It's a solid maindeck card when you have no clear strategy which, ironically, is this decks strategy. :S

I'm very used to making streamlined decks and this is a fun way of making a deck. I suggest all those that posted try this with different variations on colours.

Thx again

Edit :

Btw, the Lava Axe's were for Planeswalkers and random kills when I have a clear board. With only 2 in the deck it hasn't come up often, so I don't have a sound opinion on how good/bad it is as of yet. I just wanted to assure you that I'm not using it because I think it's a great card. I mean, it's no Brass Gnat, that's for sure. Wink
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Incendiary Command does a better job instead of Lava Axe.
It kills planeswalkers easily, but also has use in case the opponent does not have a planeswalker, or in case he has a board.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is what I mean - 2 Incendiary and maybe 1 Austere Command in the deck would be very useful in many situations. The planeswalkers in those colours (Chandra and Vengeant in addition to the one you got) are also useful and versatile with both answers and threats.

If you got early answers and threats in addition to those - like Kitchen Finks, Incinerate and Pyroclasm, you may be a difficult opponent for many.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this perhaps? (untested draft)

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [10E] Forbidding Watchtower
2 [10E] Ghitu Encampment
2 [MOR] Mutavault
4 [LRW] Ancient Amphitheater
4 [EVE] Rugged Prairie
7 [10E] Plains (4)
4 [ALA] Mountain (4)

// Creatures
4 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
2 [ALA] Battlegrace Angel
2 [EVE] Archon of Justice
1 [LRW] Brion Stoutarm
1 [LRW] Chandra Nalaar

// Spells
1 [EVE] Call the Skybreaker
1 [EVE] Rise of the Hobgoblins
4 [10E] Mind Stone
1 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
1 [SHM] Runed Halo
4 [10E] Incinerate
1 [10E] Blaze
2 [LRW] Incendiary Command
1 [LRW] Austere Command
2 [10E] Pyroclasm
2 [10E] Wrath of God
2 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant
1 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 [10E] Condemn
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make fun of brass gnat... it has won me many a TPF draft! ^^
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot about Incendiary Command, thx. I was also thinking of Giant's Ire because it can draw me a card with the Mutavaults.
tinman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: replys Reply with quote

your running wrath and pyroclasm for board clearing effects already so might beacon of desturction be better than incendiary command for walkers and random finishes

one less, instant instead of sorcery, kill non basic is effective well your choice i guess pros and cons to both
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2