Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Card Reprints

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Rath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use older edition cards in tournaments if they have been reprinted in a newer set. However, you must check what sets are t2 legal. Box sets such as Jace v. Chandra are the exception, some of the cards are legal, some are not.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cards are printed in Standard and/or legal sets, you can use it in Standard and/or Extended tournaments. I don't know what's in the deck, you'll have to check.

Any card with a normal magic back and white or black border is 'correct' card. But it depends on the exact format if it's legal or not.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Jace and chandra has stuff like fact or fiction and lightning bolt so you would have to play them in 1.5 where in a competative tournament they would get crushed.

Out of intrest are they balanced or does one deck always beat the other?
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure they are card for card equal like the Core Set Precons.
CHRONICBL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but in the procons blue almost always has the edge because of the card draw
AnubisEnd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that you can use unhinged lands in tournaments as they are very pretty and Wizards wants you to buy them.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note you can't use Alpha cards unless your entire deck is alpha. Razz
Carnubak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weedmonkey wrote:

Or you play your cards in sleeves with an opaque back, I believe. That's because of the rounder corners for the alpha edition cards.
Bottom line is, you can use a copy of a card from any edition that has a normal Magic back and black or white borders, as long as that card is also printed in a set that's legal in the format (10th, LRW, MOR, SHM, EVE and ALA for current Standard, for instance). Those are all the restrictions that exist. Notice that Unglued and Unhinged lands are black-bordered, unlike the rest of the set (silver-bordered cards), and thus are legal to play in any deck you might want to build.

Also:
Trotsky1 wrote:

Out of intrest are they balanced or does one deck always beat the other?

I have played with the decks (a friend of mine bought the pack, and I have a copy online as well) and found them pretty balanced. Blue can win in the long run, but the red deck has enough burn to early wear down the blue player, leaving him at one or two spell's distance from death. There are a number of key cards in each deck for the match, but I'll leave you to discover them by experience. Wink
thedarkness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnubak wrote:
Weedmonkey wrote:

Or you play your cards in sleeves with an opaque back, I believe. That's because of the rounder corners for the alpha edition cards.

Generally the rule for opaque-backed sleeves applies, but it doesn't apply to Alpha cards because of the extra-rounded corners. You(you here meaning anyone who has fingers and a whole lot of time to practice) can feel the difference even through the pointed, but soft, corners of sleeves. Of course, this practice requires telltale signs such as..feeling the corners of the top of your deck from time to time...but in the sense of "it allows you to cheat in a way that makes it blatantly obvious that you're cheating if you actually do it," it's no different than using all foil lands. Except that it sucks more.
Kholdstare42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a "set" called collector's edition where they remade old powerful cards and they can be characterized by their squared off corners and i think they also have "collector's edition" printed on the back. Cards from the world championship deck remakes cannot be used either, they have gold borders.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have decided to do that, they opted not too. I guess they didn't feel like testing the cards to see if they would upset the formats.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1