Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to move the the Netherlands!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: I want to move the the Netherlands! Reply with quote

I live in the United States. I am sick of this place, i want to get out of here. I don't have a college education, but i've been working some 8 or 9 years. I wonder if anyone around here knows some information about the netherlands like:
How is the MTG scene?
Will i be able to find a job fairly easily?
How is the weather?
How is the cost of living? Are the wages for non-college jobs high enough to pay rent and buy food? What is both me and my GF work?
How much does college cost around there?
Will people in the netherlands hire Americans?

I was looking at Craigslist in the netherlands, it looks like rent is much cheaper there then in the states. I was paying 400(dollars) for a 1 bedroom in a lowerclass part of town. I live in San Antonio, which has one of the lowest cost of living in the US. It looks like rent averages 250(euros) for a 1 bedroom. I think thats like 310(dollars)

I am sure at least one person on this site is from the netherlands, please help!
asamodious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move to the netherlands, dont be like peter eastgate and win the wsop main event! Cause they want 71% of the 9 million dollars that he won this month playing poker.
Spyx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic is quite popular here. There's quite some tournaments and because the country isn't so big it will take anywhere from 30mins-2hrs max to get there. Then there's the local draft nights in pubs and the FNM's.

Finding a job is pretty easy in my experience. I only have a high school degree and in the last 4 years i've had 3 jobs, which I all found within 1 month of searching.

The weather pretty much sucks. It's not too cold but it rains quite a lot. There are some periods with some nice sun but overall not that great.

The cost of living largely depends on where you plan to rent a house. Here in Amsterdam for example you will easily pay 400+ euro's for just a small room in the centre of the city. However, rent in other smaller places is much cheaper, as well as in the outskirts of Amsterdam.
University costs 1250 euro's a year, not including buying books.
I would say unschooled work (non-college) is surely enough money to get you through life, at least it is for me (I'm even saving quite some money at the same time).

Because nobody speaks our crappy language you'll find that most people here speak English. I'm sure that you can still find a job even though you don't speak Dutch.

Hope this helps, good luck in your decision.
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems american friendly.
pot friendly. I know it isn't "legal" everywhere is the Netherlands, but it is a start.
socially liberial country.
knowing my friends, if there is any place in the world they would come and visit me, it would be Amsterdam.
Seems the cost of living is reasonable.
mainly i want to get away from the US, and it seems like a start. I was thinking i'd try to find a rentable house or apartment there, and spread out from there.
The only negitive part of it i can think of is the weather, and my other option is canada. I think the Netherlands will have better weather then Vancouver. I would consider the caribbean, but i don't want to be trapped on a small island, and the economic situation isn't the best in the caribbean.
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the Suburbs of Amsterdam. I am going to try to tough it out without a car, I have a car here in the states, but i don't think i can get it over the big pond. i have a bike.Very Happy i got that 250 euros off of some things i saw on craigslist, of course at this point i have no idea the quality of said apartment. 1500 euros for college a year? or a semester? If my math is correct, that would be just over 1800 US dollars. thats pretty good for a year. I would assume that is a "community college" or whatever the equivilent is.
Yeah, i am still fairly ignorant in terms of the paper work needed. I imagine i would need to get a 6 month work permit, and then reapply if i wanted to stay. My plan is to give my parents $1200 to hang on to for me, incase things don't do so well, that way they can bail me out.
So taxs are high... that sucks.
Vesuvian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you'd think the Netherlands would have better weather than Vancouver. Vancouver has very nice weather, and is a vibrant city.
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i moved to Vancouver, i am afraid it might be a little like that movie cool runnings. lol. But seriously, i don't know if i want to deal with long winters. I am sure the summers are awsome though.
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, i had it all wrong. I just checked out... A MAP. I learned i had Edmonton and Vancouver mixed up. Vancouver is just north of seattle. Obv. anyways, now that i think of it i am sure the weather is lovely.
marten2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be exact on the college money: I pay in 5 terms of 310 euros for a year. This excludes the books.
The government supports students in a number of ways: they can loan you the college money, whit very little extra costs when you pay back and if you are under the age of 30, you get a monthly amount of money, which is a gift if you complete your study within ten years. Also, you can travel with public transport for free during weeks or during the weekend.

The universities are indeed public and if you were hoping to be a top student with a top carreer, I have to disappoint you: there are no top universities like Harvard, but all universities in The Netherlands are decent at the least.

I am not too how you thought Dutch people think of Americans. We certainly don't hate you, but a lot of people think of Americans as a very negative stereotype. I think extreme patriotism, arrogance and stupidity would be the most hated features of the stereotypes, but since you are sick of America and considers going to the university, I don't think you are quite like that, so I don't think people will hate you.

About the political climate: yes, in The Netherlands a lot of things are allowed that aren't allowed elsewhere, but it might change. For example, politicians aren't too fond of coffee shops any more, so they might be closed
In the media there are complaints about the increasing amount of rules. I personally don't complain about this, but as some people in here dislike it, so might you.

This is all I can think of right now, maybe I will write more later.

NB: the part about how we think of Americans is based on my experiences. It might therefore be a bit off and it might be different elsewhere in The Netherlands
Shindeiru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

At least they can do drugs without going to jail, that's fun.
cheesypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're planning to move to the Netherlands, and you get information on the country by asking a bunch of people in an online forum?

if you want to actually KNOW something about the netherlands, just look it up.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Chico_Ze wrote:
At least they can do drugs without going to jail, that's fun.

Because everyone in NA who takes drugs goes to jail?
Kev
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since there are actual Dutch people on this forum, I dont blame him for asking. Information about countries is abstract and -usually- inacurate and out of date. You are better off asking someone ho they feel about a country they live in than consulting a book.

Besides, drugs aren't legal in the Netherlands. It's just that when you get caught with less than 5 grams of weed or 2 ecstasy pills, the police won't arrest you. They will however, take your drugs from you. More or oter drugs that i mention, are illegal and will be penalized with big fines.

About the Americans hating thing: Most of the higher educated in the Netherlands that have met Americans in person aren't too fond of Americans, this is mostly because those Americans appear to be self-centered, arrogant and short sighted. The people in the lower parts of Dutch society don't hold prejudices versus Americans, because well, they only care about the glitter and gold and don't understand the American way of life. nor have they ever met Americans in person.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev wrote:
Well, since there are actual Dutch people on this forum, I dont blame him for asking. Information about countries is abstract and -usually- inacurate and out of date. You are better off asking someone ho they feel about a country they live in than consulting a book.

Besides, drugs aren't legal in the Netherlands. It's just that when you get caught with less than 5 grams of weed or 2 ecstasy pills, the police won't arrest you. They will however, take your drugs from you. More or oter drugs that i mention, are illegal and will be penalized with big fines.

About the Americans hating thing: Most of the higher educated in the Netherlands that have met Americans in person aren't too fond of Americans, this is mostly because those Americans appear to be self-centered, arrogant and short sighted. The people in the lower parts of Dutch society don't hold prejudices versus Americans, because well, they only care about the glitter and gold and don't understand the American way of life. nor have they ever met Americans in person.

I am wondering if it is even possible to shove more pretentiousness into this post.
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolcreep wrote:
Kev wrote:

I am wondering if it is even possible to shove more pretentiousness into this post.

I don't think so, no...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2