Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ala ala ala draft no12.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Ala ala ala draft no12. Reply with quote

Another 4-3-2-2 for you this time I deliver on my promise to go naya and end up losing to some 1860 in ther finals with a nuts esper deck, had to play out of my skin just to get there though, to earn the right to draw purely lands.

Event #: 107951
Time: 11/16/2008 10:49:43 PM
Players:
juju_dawg
--> ElementalMox
hotref105
cogniwhat99
manxurian
Raydiant
Sekirei
Calam1ty

------ ALA ------

Pack 1 pick 1:
Scavenger Drake
Windwright Mage
Obelisk of Bant
--> Manaplasm
Tortoise Formation
Island
Rhox War Monk
Sanctum Gargoyle
Cloudheath Drake
Grixis Panorama
Tidehollow Strix
Behemoth's Herald
Coma Veil
Wild Nacatl
Incurable Ogre

Lots of options in this pack however manaplasm is the most open pick and a strong card also.

Pack 1 pick 2:
Cloudheath Drake (FOIL)
Sunseed Nurturer
Naturalize
Agony Warp
Guardians of Akrasa
Goblin Mountaineer
Resounding Scream
Shore Snapper
Bant Battlemage
Forest
--> Knight of the Skyward Eye
Vicious Shadows
Blightning
Obelisk of Grixis

The best card is the agony warp but with our first pick the knight of the skyward eye is the better pick.

Pack 1 pick 3:
Goblin Deathraiders
Sanctum Gargoyle
Swamp
Jhessian Infiltrator
Jungle Weaver
Bone Splinters
Rockslide Elemental
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
Dragon Fodder
Courier's Capsule
Etherium Sculptor
--> Akrasan Squire
Mosstodon

Alot of good black red cards in this pack deathraiders, rockslide elemental bone splinters the best two cards with what we have however are between the mostodon, squire, and infiltrator, I do not find fatties all that special in this format you can always pick them up later generally with cycling as well so as the araskan does not commit us to a third colour its my pick.

Pack 1 pick 4:
Viscera Dragger
Hindering Light
Plains
Jund Panorama
Filigree Sages
Call to Heel
--> Druid of the Anima
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
Grixis Battlemage
Viashino Skeleton
Cunning Lethemancer
Dregscape Zombie (FOIL)

It pains me to pass the dragger I love it so much particullary for a druid of the anama but Im doing it for you guys.

Pack 1 pick 5:
Hindering Light
Sigil Blessing
Forest
Deathgreeter
Excommunicate
Call to Heel
Executioner's Capsule
--> Vithian Stinger
Fatestitcher
Court Archers
Viashino Skeleton

Wow this pack must have been ridic strong or some people have been makign bad picks, 5th pick single colured first picks in the stinger and capsule, the stinger is enough of an incentive for me to go red.

Pack 1 pick 6:
Jhessian Lookout
Demon's Herald
Swamp
Lightning Talons
Ad Nauseam
Sangrite Surge
Angelsong
Cathartic Adept
--> Bant Battlemage
Godtoucher

Very little here, the ability to trample is fine and we could still end up bant.

Pack 1 pick 7:
Obelisk of Naya
Plains
--> Kathari Screecher
Glaze Fiend
Cloudheath Drake
Shadowfeed
Tortoise Formation
Kederekt Leviathan
Esper Panorama

Late screecher the bant option looking a little more likely

Pack 1 pick 8:
--> Sigil Blessing
Mountain
Ridge Rannet
Sphinx's Herald
Naturalize
Dreg Reaver
Bloodthorn Taunter
Cancel

Combat trick is fine by me

Pack 1 pick 9:
Obelisk of Bant
Tortoise Formation
Island
--> Cloudheath Drake
Grixis Panorama
Behemoth's Herald
Coma Veil

Alot of late blue maybe i will not get to play stinger:<Pack> Naturalize
Goblin Mountaineer
Resounding Scream
Shore Snapper
Forest

For the nuts esper deck

Pack 1 pick 11:
Swamp
--> Rockslide Elemental
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
Dragon Fodder
Etherium Sculptor

Wow that is so wrong is so many ways, I do not think its a sign red is open so much as that some people at the table simply do not know how good the card is however.

Pack 1 pick 12:
--> Hindering Light
Plains
Filigree Sages
Viashino Skeleton

Great board cards vs grixis and other heavy removal decks.

Pack 1 pick 13:
--> Hindering Light
Forest
Viashino Skeleton

Pack 1 pick 14:
Swamp
--> Cathartic Adept

Pack 1 pick 15:
--> Plains

------ ALA ------

Pack 2 pick 1:
Resounding Roar
Jhessian Lookout
Swamp
Shadowfeed
Bloodpyre Elemental
Rockcaster Platoon
Skill Borrower
Lush Growth
--> Naya Charm
Soul's Fire
Deathgreeter
Rip-Clan Crasher
Kederekt Creeper
Naya Battlemage
Resounding Silence

Best card in pack could still end up naya and Im trying to for you guys.

Pack 2 pick 2:
Lightning Talons
Sighted-Caste Sorcerer
Forest
Angelsong
Dragon Fodder
Steward of Valeron
Sangrite Surge
--> Sigiled Paladin
Obelisk of Jund
Skeletal Kathari
Crumbling Necropolis
Cathartic Adept
Naya Panorama
Blister Beetle

Great early drop.

Pack 2 pick 3:
Mosstodon
Savage Hunger
--> Naya Battlemage
Waveskimmer Aven
Dragon's Herald
Hissing Iguanar
Island
Jhessian Infiltrator
Ooze Garden
Steelclad Serpent
Soul's Grace
Marble Chalice
Deft Duelist

Best card here.

Pack 2 pick 4:
Blister Beetle
Cavern Thoctar
--> Jungle Shrine
Mountain
Obelisk of Grixis
Agony Warp
Sighted-Caste Sorcerer
Dispeller's Capsule
Elvish Visionary
Bant Panorama
Etherium Astrolabe
Spell Snip

I have no fixing so far and a load of playables and the other option cavern throctar does not excite me too much.

Pack 2 pick 5:
Steward of Valeron
Gift of the Gargantuan
--> Qasali Ambusher
Scourge Devil
Soul's Grace
Thoughtcutter Agent
Plains
Outrider of Jhess
Glaze Fiend
Jund Panorama
Lush Growth

Thats late for the ambusher

Pack 2 pick 6:
Kathari Screecher
Steward of Valeron
Protomatter Powder
Island
Shore Snapper
Carrion Thrash
Gift of the Gargantuan
--> Sighted-Caste Sorcerer
Incurable Ogre
Esper Panorama

I honestly prefer the exalted to all the abilitys of the steward I have very little to ramp into anyway

Pack 2 pick 7:
Cancel
Cavern Thoctar
Deathgreeter
Volcanic Submersion
Onyx Goblet
Mountain
--> Algae Gharial
Marble Chalice
Keeper of Progenitus

This guy is really good much better than cavern throctar as he is so difficult to deal with.

Pack 2 pick 8:
Plains
Esper Panorama
--> Ridge Rannet
Mighty Emergence
Call to Heel
Savage Hunger
Kederekt Creeper
Hindering Light

Red is looking my splash colour but i could still play him.

Pack 2 pick 9:
Swamp
Shadowfeed
--> Rockcaster Platoon
Skill Borrower
Lush Growth
Deathgreeter
Kederekt Creeper

For the aerial decks.

Pack 2 pick 10:
Lightning Talons
Forest
--> Angelsong
Sangrite Surge
Skeletal Kathari
Cathartic Adept

Pack 2 pick 11:
--> Savage Hunger
Dragon's Herald
Island
Soul's Grace
Marble Chalice

Pack 2 pick 12:
Mountain
Obelisk of Grixis
--> Dispeller's Capsule
Spell Snip

Pack 2 pick 13:
Soul's Grace
Plains
--> Lush Growth

Pack 2 pick 14:
Island
--> Shore Snapper

Pack 2 pick 15:
--> Mountain

------ ALA ------

Pack 3 pick 1:
Necrogenesis
Mountain
Dreg Reaver
Clarion Ultimatum
Gustrider Exuberant
Magma Spray
Resounding Thunder
Resounding Wave
Goblin Assault (FOIL)
Esper Battlemage
Onyx Goblet
Welkin Guide
Godtoucher
Obelisk of Esper
--> Woolly Thoctar

Good pack for me I think the undercosted fatty is better than the removal.

Pack 3 pick 2:
Coma Veil
Wild Nacatl
--> Branching Bolt
Corpse Connoisseur
Dragon's Herald
Glaze Fiend
Island
Cloudheath Drake
Skeletal Kathari
Soul's Grace
Waveskimmer Aven
Grixis Panorama
Vithian Stinger
Bull Cerodon

Another excellent pack, bull stinger and bolt, I am a little light on removal, I prdedict now the riot at the fact I did not take the bull again.

Pack 3 pick 3:
Bant Panorama
Soul's Might
--> Rhox Charger
Rip-Clan Crasher
Gustrider Exuberant
Undead Leotau
Agony Warp
Exuberant Firestoker
Spell Snip
Obelisk of Esper
Tortoise Formation
Forest
Lush Growth

Very strong card possibly the best card in pack though agony warp is no sloch itself.

Pack 3 pick 4:
--> Mosstodon
Goblin Mountaineer
Thunder-Thrash Elder
Angel's Herald
Yoked Plowbeast
Goblin Deathraiders
Blood Cultist
Courier's Capsule
Swamp
Obelisk of Naya (FOIL)
Banewasp Affliction
Sanctum Gargoyle

I could of had 2 pingers and a bloodcultist if i had gone rb but now i take my fatty mostodorn, theres so many in this set you just do not need to take them early.

Pack 3 pick 5:
Viscera Dragger
Banewasp Affliction
Courier's Capsule
Skeletal Kathari
Druid of the Anima
Thorn-Thrash Viashino
--> Guardians of Akrasa
Grixis Charm
Goblin Deathraiders
Sunseed Nurturer
Island

Now Im having to pass deathraider and dragger I hope you appreciate the effort Im making this is as hard as it is for quentin martin to not go blue when he sees like a 7th pick think twice.

Pack 3 pick 6:
--> Skeletonize
Vectis Silencers
Rockcaster Platoon
Grixis Panorama
Dregscape Zombie
Forest
Cylian Elf
Obelisk of Bant
Grixis Battlemage
Incurable Ogre

I really want the 2 drop, but i really want the removal also, the removal felt of greater need there is still a chance I can pick up a few late 2 drops

Pack 3 pick 7:
--> Resounding Roar
Resounding Scream
Volcanic Submersion
Swamp
Relic of Progenitus
Etherium Sculptor
Resounding Wave
Soul's Might
Viashino Skeleton

Another combat trick fine by me

Pack 3 pick 8:
Puppet Conjurer
Steelclad Serpent
Vectis Silencers
Banewasp Affliction
Plains
--> Jungle Weaver
Fire-Field Ogre
Invincible Hymn

Helps vs aerial decks cycles, never a bad draw at anypoint in the game and you can get them late all for a few extra mana.

Pack 3 pick 9:
Mountain
Dreg Reaver
--> Clarion Ultimatum
Gustrider Exuberant
Onyx Goblet
Godtoucher
Obelisk of Esper

Rare draft

Pack 3 pick 10:
Coma Veil
Dragon's Herald
Glaze Fiend
Island
--> Skeletal Kathari
Soul's Grace

Pack 3 pick 11:
Gustrider Exuberant
--> Spell Snip
Tortoise Formation
Forest
Lush Growth

Pack 3 pick 12:
--> Goblin Mountaineer
Angel's Herald
Swamp
Banewasp Affliction

Pack 3 pick 13:
--> Skeletal Kathari
Sunseed Nurturer
Island

Pack 3 pick 14:
--> Vectis Silencers
Forest

Pack 3 pick 15:
--> Swamp

The deck

1 Araskan Squire
1 Angel song
1 Naturalize
1 Resounding roar
1 sigil blessing
1 druid of the anama
1 knight of the skyward eye
1 sighted caste sorcerer
1 sigiled paladin
1 branching bolt
1 naya charm
1 bant battlemage
1 guardians of araska
1 manaplasm
1 naya battlemage
1 quasli ambusher
1 vitian stinger
1 wolly throctar
1 Algae Gharial
1 rhox charger
1 skeletonize
1 mosstondon
1 jungle weaver
1 Jungle Shrine
6 Plains
3 Mountains
7 Forests

Not the ideal mana base but i just saw no fixing at an oppertune time all draft but the shrine

1 rockslide elemental in board because of mana base

Other sb cards of note

ridge rannet thats it:P

Round 1 Game 1 vs jund, I have a turn two sorcerrer whilst he ramps into turn 3 incurablr ogre, I leave sorcerer back to block and cast manaplasm, he has a cort archer however and i end up taking 6, he has turn 6 kresh the bloodblade and I am forced to take another six dropping me down to 8, in order so i can swing back, I make a rhox charger and hit in with mana plasm he does not block he is now also at 8. I chump ogre and attack in with charger, he makes a risky 3 for 1 block on charger I have a sigil blessing, to save my charger, his kresh is now an 8/8 he leaves his whole team back, when he could insteab have cycled dragger he drew instead of casting and forced me into double chump blocking just to stay alive and leaving me with I craeture, attacking with nothing was def wrong its not the first time hes made this sort of error, next to he draws capsule for my charger and now attacks with Kresh, from here on in I keepo chump blocking trying to find a ridicolous series of cards to get me out of the hole im in did not come off.

Round 1 game 2 I mull to 6 on play he has turn 1 executioners capsule, I have turn 2 druid off two forests (he misses this) and does not capsule my druid I draw a third forst and make a stinger he capsules stinger and makes visionary, I unearth stinger and take out his druid and cycle jungle weaver eot, he makes stinger and another capsule, not looking good as druid is my only souce of red and white mana, I make knight of the skyward eye, atleast that gives me something to do with my 4 forests he makes dragger and passes not pining my druid, I make bant battle mage and resounding thunder my druid when he pings eot, if hes stupid enough to do it once hes prob stupid enough to not ping until eot again thanks for giving me another whole turn of red and white mana, he makes bloodcultist and as predicted does not kill druid, I skeltonize his bloodcultist as my deck can not handle double pinger, he finally at eot kills druid and makes incurable ogre in his go emptying hand, I play rhox charger and drop a mountain, he capsules and attacks with just dragger, I make a naya battle mage and trade bant battlemage with wild nactal, I bash in with knight and naya battlemage and make a mostodorn, he now attacks with ogre and dragger, allowing me a block that does not give him acess to unearth this guy is something else and passes go, I bash in with all my team and he does not miss the fact he can block naya battlemage with visionary and ping like I thought he would, however I have had naya charm in hand all game and as now i have drawn a plains, its prob my best shot at winning, he is at 8 after attack he bashes with ogre and passes go i am now at 5 him with dragger and stinger in play, I draw a land bash dropping him to 3, the land I have drew though it does not give me option of naya charming in his go it does give me the just enough mana to pump and charm, I wait untill begging of his attacke4rs giving him a chance to play his creature precombat if he drew and then charm, he has no craeture or removal i swing pump and win a game I never should have.

Round 1 Game 3 he has tuen 1 capsule, i have turn 2 druid he has turn 2 visionary, when he attacks in I drop ambusher and he capsules surely not worth it. I have no third land but am able to cast throcatr of druid. He has a second capsule I guess that somewhat explains it. I make a mana plasm he makes carrion thrash, I kae algae Gharial and bash in after drawing a mountain I now have all 3 colours and druid yay he does nothing but play a lush growth on his go nice card, I ake bant battle mage he makes rige rannet, I bash in with mana plasm and bant battlemage, he blocks plasm against ridge, I cast sigil blessing and resouding war dropping him to 6 and keeping the plasma alive, he makes stinger and thorn thrasher no devour i play naya battle mage and bash in with plasm he does not block and drops too 2, from here in a couple of attacks my algae is oversized plus I have more cretures on board and smash through for way over lethal.

Round 2 game 1 also naya, I get to ambush his turn 2 knight of skywatd eye with ambusher good times I follow up with naya battle mage, he is stuck on 3 lands and no play so i bash in again, he makes nactal he draws a 4th land and plays sigiled paladin, I mahe rhox charger and bash with ambusher afyer drawing his card for the go he concedes.

Round 2 game 2 he has turn 1 nactal followed by turn 2 plains steward I make sorcerer he has turn 3 angelic bendiction bash with nactal, I bash back with sorcerer and when he attacks with nactal make ambusher and resounding raor it to kill nactal, he has rakeclaw gurangutan I make guradians and bash with ambusher, stcuk on 3 lands I draw a plains make sigiled paladin and bash, he has branching blot however, he makes a paladin of his own and bashes me down 2, I draw a land and make a mostodorn, on my go i draw squire and make that plus algae, He draws and plays oring chosing to ring my paladin and bashes with everything, tapping down my mostodorn this actaully wins me the game as my algae a 2/2 already is able to block his steward and live thats to his first striking dude and as another 2 creatures go to graveyard my algae becomes a 5/5 he is at 14 no cards in hand and the 1 card in my hand is sigil blessing:) able to do exactly 14.

Round 3 after some great games, Its time for some pretty poor ones. Game one I mull and flood have to make a bluff attack with sorcerrer into his board am missing game on replays for some reason, so my jungle weaver can bash in once and with a bit of luck a naya charm latter only other card in hand win the game he calls straight away and though i play it out i really have no way of winning from there.

Game 2 I have turn 2 druid follwed by turn 3 mana plasm, he has warp however I have algaie next turn after he plays esper battlemage, I make bant battlemage naturalize his battle mage he kills druid in repsonse algae bashes for 3, he makes windwright mage, I dispellers capsule and bash for 6, he plays gargoyle getting back windwright mage followed by drake, I proceed to draw nothing but lands whilst he still has plenty of gas.

Feedback appreciated.
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

P1P5: I think both Court Archers and Excommunicate are better.
P2P1:I think Naya Battlemage > Naya Charm. Thats a good pack for you though lol.
P2P2: Steward of Valeron is what I'd pick.
P2P6: Both the Screecher and the Steward are better in my opinion unless u have the pure exalted deck.
P2P7: I dont think Algae is much better than Thoctar. Thoctar is a limited bomb.
P3P5: Hating Grixis charm is better than an 0/4 in an aggresive deck IMO.
trueeevil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stewards ability is definitely relavent.
thranarama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the idea was not for you to force Naya. We were just commenting on how you should read signals and pick the best card for that moment rather than make picks based on personal bias. I feel like I have to get into MTGO so I can actually draft with people who are a little more skilled than on here (sorry!). Not that there aren't good players on M-L. Just that I seem to get passed cards way too late. Anyway, good luck with improving yourself at limited! I'm definitely looking forward to Alara Limited PTQ's.
OldBear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not really forcing naya as the cards did come my way but just trying not to end up rb which probably 80% of my drafts of this format I do, as it always works for me so results wise its logical. Eveyons has to have a bias towards one stratergy or another its just human nature mine is pretty clear.

I would not say there is much difference between ml and 4-3-2-2 my rating peaked at 1834 on modo whilst on ml it was 1803, though I have played on modo for alot longer than magic league and the competition level of 4-3-2-2's in my experince can vary quite wildly.

With the 8-4s you will generally get a higher standard of player but there are still those players who are terrible and join the 8-4 as anyone can join either que no one can really control the quality of the drafts, Ive been in 8-4s full of noobs and 4-3-2-2s full of 1800's before. The most intimidating thing about the 8-4's is not your average draft but the times you happen to join the que at the same time a group of pro pals all decided to do a draft and then you feel really out of your depth.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1